Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get to Portugal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although the European SuC network is growing constantly, the Northwestern part of Spain, meaning the provinces of Cantabria, Asturias and Galicia are void of any SuC. This makes travel to Northern Portugal and the city of Porto very difficult. Those who want to travel further South, such as the capital city of Lisbon, encounter a similar problem. One has to travel through Spain, and all efforts of Tesla go to the Eastern, Mediterranean part and its access routes. But f. ex. Madrid doesn't have a SuC. Although the 2017 Tesla Supercharger map is showing a lot of planned locations, I fear that little of this will be realised this year, and that travel upto the the Western part of Southern Europe will remain a major diffculty.

Also travelling to Portugal - but Lisboa.

I've applied for IBIL and Mobi.E cards to be used in conjunction with Tesla's Chademo adapter. The IBIL card for spain is pre-paid and can be ordered online - the Mobi.E cards can also be applied for online but are free of charge.

You can see charging stations here :
Mapa de puntos de recarga para vehículos eléctricos

Also - Tesla seems to be planning to open the Tordesillas supercharger (southwest from Burgos) soon enough - it's listed on the Today section of the supercharger map with "Opening Soon" - not on the 2017 "future map".

Supercharger | Tesla UK

This map also tracks the planned/in progress etc. chargers in Spain and Portugal:
Tesla Superchargers Iberia

Reactions: jim3cantos
According to supercharge.info Tesla have now got a permit for building a Supercharger south of Valladolid wish would make it possible to drive to Porto at least with a Model s 100D, how long before it finish is of course another question but they chould finish it before the summer.

You don't need to go straight to Porto, you could stop in Vila Real, there's a charger with chademo/ccs and type 2. Take a look at the refered sites, there's a lot of options for various Portuguese cities.

It's much easier to drive EV cars in Portugal than in Spain, IMO, - considering non superchargers territory obviously - and with Tesla you have the chademo adapter and the Destination Chargers network.
In and out of Portugal can be done using Parador de Salamanca, they let us charge there, 22 kW chargers.
Don't forget that most of ibil chargers don't work with Tesla chademo adapter, check first. Also, for instance Burgos superchargers took a lot of time to get ready, don't count on superchargers being built to be ready soon.
For more details I wrote some tips, you can find them here
on the road with Tesla

First photo from Fatima supercharger under construction, 8 stalls, Nov 6 2017
IMG_20171106_155525.jpg

I've been passing the info to supercharge.info and also to the developer of the app Superchargers, for Android, a very useful app, IMO.
IMG-20180321-WA0000~2.jpg
IMG-20180321-WA0002~2.jpg

Actually the third Supercharger location in Portugal is @Guarda, Hotel Lusitânia. Construction suffered a small setback due to very bad weather conditions but it will be finished in the near future.
Fátima supercharger location was live on January 2nd 2018, Montemor went live 2 days later, January 4th. I was lucky to be on both locations and be part of a small Tesla owners group that did the countdown from "3, 2, 1, Connect!" sequence and be the 2nd Tesla to charge after the Tesla technician confirmed all was good to go!
Guarda hopefully will be live soon, depending on power delivery and Tesla software updates on site.
More supercharger locations are expected for Portugal in the very near future.
Picture(s) show the construction site at Guarda as of two days ago. There's a total of 8 stalls, placed in a L configuration, 3 stalls on the left side along the large access ramp and the other 5 stalls in the regular parking area. It's quite clever the way they used the available space, being able also to use the remaining space for expansion if there's the need for it.

Now Fátima is online on supercharge.info, not on Teslas website.
That's because I passed the information to supercharge.info the exact minute the site went live, at the same time when I connected my car for the first time, and Tesla took a bit more time updating the "live" info for the Tesla fleet to access.
Montemor went live the 4th of January but was only officially updated Jan 5th.