Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get to snowshoe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heading up there from Tampa next month for about a week, good on SCs until Glen Allen... Then what? We can spend the night in between Glen Allen and Snowshoe but it looks bad for being there (and getting out). I just don't see anything around there for charging. After 150mi thru mountains, in Jan, I need something to get me back out :)

Any suggestions?

Captain

Hmm...I always diesel it. We had a conversation with the manager about EV charging at the Marriott Courtyard in Waynesboro (110 MOUNTAINOUS miles from Snowshoe) but have not followed up (I wonder if their maintenance manager can provide you with some overnight temp pwr). I can meet you at Glen Allen and loan you pretty much any adapters, gauge and length extension cord(s) for L1 or L2 if:

a) the Hotel will reserve you a room with parking within 100'
b) if there rooms have an accessible 5-20 (6mph charge rate) or a 6-20 (12mph rate, aka a heat/AC) receptacle in the room
c) if I am in town.

I don't have any continuous mountain EV experience, but I just wouldn't even attempt leaving Waynesboro or Staunton in the winter without a full charge.

I am guessing that you have already made arrangements for destination charging once you arrive at Snowshoe (a must IMO)? I have spied much electrical equipment and various 120v receptacles in the parking garage at the Fireside Lodge but have never used them. With all the maintenance buildings at the summit along with a sub-station I guess you've got that covered? Again, on the return, I wouldn't depart Snowshoe without a full charge.

Hope this helps.

I am guessing you will take 64.. and cross over to 81? According to plugshare, there is a tesla owner with HPWC in staunton, right after you cross over 81 ( I have never tried it or contacted the owner). If you have dual chargers, a quick stop there could help you get there without a problem.

Good luck!

I saw him on Plugshare as well. He actually has a 14-50 even though he's listed as (S).

btw, I notified Plugshare T W O years ago to please change this "(S)" listing/label as many have (myself included at the time) accidentally misstated their charging facilities.

Last edited:
Plugshare really needs to change the option from "Tesla (Model-S)" to say "Tesla HPWC" and then allow the power ratings of all stations to be filtered in the map. Browsing through endless map points looking for power output reviews takes a long time in densely populated areas. Many times those reviews aren't even accurate as a Volt owner will list 3.3kW, a leaf owner might list 6.6kW and so forth. I've noticed a lot of owners making assumptions about the voltage. While the voltage doesn't seem to slow the rate for EVs with slower chargers having a 208V hpwc vs a 240V hpwc can have a large impact on miles per hour of charge on a Tesla.

Starting my campaign - please join me

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/forms/contact-us.aspx

Hi There,

I am planning on coming to Snowshoe this winter, again in the late spring for Wanderlust, and again the next winter. It would be really great if I could drive there using my Tesla, but you don't have electric car chargers. Please consider installing an Electric Car charger and/or a Tesla HPWC, especially since Tesla is now installing a supercharger in Lexington VA and has one installed already in Strausburg, VA. The nearest other chargers for Tesla are 2 at the Greenbriar.

Again, please consider,

Regards,

...Andrew

Snowshoe needs to get its act together and place thier EV info under the amenities. I told them there is no info on plugshare Tesla Motor Club, etc., about them. There's are RV connections at Silver Creek's I was informed from Silver Creek's front desk.

The maintenance section has the info and transfer (304) 572-6506. No response they may have left for the day. Called twice and left messages - NADA so far. I'm still waiting a call back before traveling 104 miles from last Supercharger (Lexington), up some goat trails in 25 degree weather with wife and 7 year old.

Once maintenance confirms the EV infrastructure I'll let folks know. Some RV connectors (older ones) are less common requiring the older NEMA adapters, which again I need confirmation, before going postal in backwoods West Virginia for running out of juice. That may work for Bjorn but not me Bjørns Tesla Model S #1: Oslo - Trondheim Norwegian winter driving - YouTube

Snowshoe needs to get its act together............ before traveling 104 miles from last Supercharger (Lexington), up some goat trails in 25 degree weather with wife and 7 year old.

I am sure you've confirmed that it is ~150 rated miles from the Lexington super with the 3,600 elevation increase.

Normally, I travel with my Quickchargepower 50' UMC, every Tesla UMC ever manufactured, an assortment of 3rd party and home brewed specialty adapters, 50' 5-20 terminated 12ga. extension cord (for 120v and 240v charging). However, in this case, I would leave my 50' 12ga. at home and take my 100' 10ga. just to be extra prepared.

Good-luck!

Interesting that this destination charging site is not listed on the nav nor website. Depending on winter temps, payload, vehicle model, etc., etc., I am showing around 200ish rated miles from the Strasburg super and 135ish rated from the Lexington super.

I did a simple google maps from Lexington address to Snowshoes address.
Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 6.22.46 PM.jpg
Based upon my drive from Arlington, VA to the Cleveland Browns stadium I should be okay similar terrain. Snowshoe never called me back by the way but the phone number to the maintenace I provided earlier.