Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get trade-in quote via the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious how long you waited for the estimate from Tesla? I'm waiting `2 weeks and still nothing. Many folks on this forum claim that Tesla returned a quote in 2-3 days??? Really.
I ordered on a Friday and received the trade in offer the following Tuesday. I would follow up with Tesla. When I submitted the order, Tesla immediately texted me and I’ve been able to use that to communicate with them about the order.

I ordered on a Friday and received the trade in offer the following Tuesday. I would follow up with Tesla. When I submitted the order, Tesla immediately texted me and I’ve been able to use that to communicate with them about the order.
Well I guess someone at Tesla reads these posts. LOL. I just received my trade in offer. And yes, I did reply using the text I received when I originally placed my order, however the reply was of little help. The trade in offer expires in one month; hopefully my new MSAWD arrives in that timeframe. And yours as well! Good luck and thanks for your response.

Just to see what Tesla would offer me on my current vehicle (2015 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock), I let them process the trade-in. After six days, their offer came in at $24,500 maximum, approximately $3,000 less than the average trade-in price according to kbb.com, and $6,500 less than the kbb.com private party selling price.

I am ready to place an order for a new MY and want to trade in my old MY. I received an estimated trade-in value yesterday. Just now I walked through the steps to order the new MY in the app, right up to the "continue" button that will place the order. But nowhere in the ordering process was there any option to specify my interest in trading in.

Does this sound right? Will I be asked if I want to trade in later in the process? When I requested the trade-in estimate, I was on a web page (not on the app and not logged in to Tesla's site). Not sure how they would tie that request to my order. I did provide my VIN.

Can someone who has done a trade-in confirm that I can safely order now and not lose the option to trade-in?

Thanks in advance.

I am ready to place an order for a new MY and want to trade in my old MY. I received an estimated trade-in value yesterday. Just now I walked through the steps to order the new MY in the app, right up to the "continue" button that will place the order. But nowhere in the ordering process was there any option to specify my interest in trading in.

Does this sound right? Will I be asked if I want to trade in later in the process? When I requested the trade-in estimate, I was on a web page (not on the app and not logged in to Tesla's site). Not sure how they would tie that request to my order. I did provide my VIN.

Can someone who has done a trade-in confirm that I can safely order now and not lose the option to trade-in?

Thanks in advance.
I ordered my car via the web. As soon as I submitted the order, it appeared in the app, where I was asked to take some additional steps. One of them was specifying that I was trading in and providing photos etc.

Is your estimated delivery date more than 30 days out? The trade in offer is only good for 30 days, so they might not give you that option until you’re within 30 days. I ordered in March, with an expected delivery that month, but the date has since been pushed out.

When I submitted the order, I was immediately contacted via text by Tesla, and have been able to communicate with them since. If you were contacted, you can ask them about the trade.

Thank you! That is what I needed to hear.

They are saying delivery will be May-June (MY LR) and I realize the price range they gave me is not firm. When I get the actual offer, I will decide if I should take it or sell the car myself. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a check-box or something telling them I did plan to trade-in.

FWIW, I initially requested a trade in estimate via the web (Trade-in | Tesla), which gives you a range. The actual trade in offer I received after ordering was pretty much in the middle of the range. Unfortunately my offer expires before the earliest estimated delivery date, so I'll have to request a new one. Hopefully it won't be lower, since I haven't driven the car at all.

Reactions: E-curb

Thanks in advance.
Apparently when you request an estimate for your trade-in, it's saved to your profile and applied to your order. I recently traded in my Model 3 performance for the new Model S AWD. It took them about 2 weeks to reply with a trade-in estimate. I texted Tesla about the unusual delay, as most folks receive an estimate in 48 hours. They claimed they were running behind on trade in estimates as it was a busy time i.e., end of the quarter. Then I received an 'email' from a Tesla rep saying my photos were not accepted since I took them in my garage (wasn't driving the vehicle) and didn't show the full, unobstructed images requested (Front, Rear, LHS, RHS, and interior seating). Photos also need to be taken outside on a "sunny" day (not many of these since it typically rains every day in early spring). Once I resubmitted the photos via email (not in the app) I received my firm estimate 2 days later. Also please note that once you formally "ACCEPT" your trade in offer, you're not locked in. You can still reject the offer if you get a better deal elsewhere. Even if the offer expires in 30 days, they will likely extend the offer if the mileage is within 1000 miles when originally submitted. The only issue would be, since Tesla cut prices across the board on April 7, this may negatively affect the trade in allowance. I had a competing offer from Carvana which was actually $2K higher than Tesla's offer. I turned it down for three reasons: 1- you only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade in and the new vehicle 2- Carvana later disclosed that a "pickup fee" would apply in my case $1500. 3- If you sell privately you need to turn in your plates to your local DMV (as opposed to transferring plates) to remove the vehicle from your policy. NYS DMV gets an extra $210 fee to register new plates as opposed to a $60 fee for registration transfers. The key take away here is to consider all aspects of trade in offers before you commit. I accepted Tesla's "lower offer" and for me it was the better choice. Hope this helps!

Apparently when you request an estimate for your trade-in, it's saved to your profile and applied to your order. I recently traded in my Model 3 performance for the new Model S AWD. It took them about 2 weeks to reply with a trade-in estimate. I texted Tesla about the unusual delay, as most folks receive an estimate in 48 hours. They claimed they were running behind on trade in estimates as it was a busy time i.e., end of the quarter. Then I received an 'email' from a Tesla rep saying my photos were not accepted since I took them in my garage (wasn't driving the vehicle) and didn't show the full, unobstructed images requested (Front, Rear, LHS, RHS, and interior seating). Photos also need to be taken outside on a "sunny" day (not many of these since it typically rains every day in early spring). Once I resubmitted the photos via email (not in the app) I received my firm estimate 2 days later. Also please note that once you formally "ACCEPT" your trade in offer, you're not locked in. You can still reject the offer if you get a better deal elsewhere. Even if the offer expires in 30 days, they will likely extend the offer if the mileage is within 1000 miles when originally submitted. The only issue would be, since Tesla cut prices across the board on April 7, this may negatively affect the trade in allowance. I had a competing offer from Carvana which was actually $2K higher than Tesla's offer. I turned it down for three reasons: 1- you only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade in and the new vehicle 2- Carvana later disclosed that a "pickup fee" would apply in my case $1500. 3- If you sell privately you need to turn in your plates to your local DMV (as opposed to transferring plates) to remove the vehicle from your policy. NYS DMV gets an extra $210 fee to register new plates as opposed to a $60 fee for registration transfers. The key take away here is to consider all aspects of trade in offers before you commit. I accepted Tesla's "lower offer" and for me it was the better choice. Hope this helps!
Great information -- thank you. I did place my order and was then able to use the app to submit the 4 photos. Delivery is window is "Apr - Jun" so the 30 days will likely pass.

LOL. Does it actually matter? Tesla is so schizophrenic that evidence of future behavior based on past behavior is of absolutely no value.

Joe
It matters to me, because my trade in offer will expire before my new car will be ready for delivery. What's your basis for saying that Tesla will respect the trade in offer if the mileage is within 1000 miles when originally submitted? Personal experience? If so, it may not be policy, but at least it's possible.

I was not the one who indicated that tesla will respect the trade-in offer… it was another member.

Joe

It matters to me, because my trade in offer will expire before my new car will be ready for delivery. What's your basis for saying that Tesla will respect the trade in offer if the mileage is within 1000 miles when originally submitted? Personal experience? If so, it may not be policy, but at least it's possible.

FYI: My trade in offer expired yesterday, but I don’t see any change to the trade in status in the app. Since I haven’t received my car yet, I asked Tesla what I have to do to extend or renew the trade in offer. They said the trade in request would be resubmitted automatically. We’ll see what happens. The app is still showing a delivery window of April 22 - May 1, but I was told I’ll probably be able to take delivery on the 27th.

FYI: My trade in offer expired yesterday, but I don’t see any change to the trade in status in the app. Since I haven’t received my car yet, I asked Tesla what I have to do to extend or renew the trade in offer. They said the trade in request would be resubmitted automatically. We’ll see what happens. The app is still showing a delivery window of April 22 - May 1, but I was told I’ll probably be able to take delivery on the 27th.
The trade in request was not resubmitted automatically. I was notified via email and text that I had to resubmit it via the app. No photos required this time.