Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get your money back on the tax you pay when ordering online?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

There are 5 states that don't have sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon.

I live in one of those states. NH has no EV tax credits and there happens to be NO Tesla stores so I have to go out of state for delivery and pick up. Can I still request a tax credit if my state doesn't have sales tax or EV incentives or should I pay NO TAX upfront? Can I just ask my Tesla advisor to change my account so sales tax is not included??

If you’ve indicated that you are a NH resident when you placed your order, you should not pay any sales tax as long as you have the car delivered to your home or if you decide to pick it up in a state that allows you to take delivery without paying tax (NY/NJ?). However, if decided to take delivery in MA, for example, you will pay MA tax and you don’t get a refund on that. As a NH resident, I paid no sales tax and the car was shipped to my home at no additional charge (Dec2018). I hear some mixed messages that they are now charging an additional shipping fee to ship to your home under some circumstances, but can’t seem to validate whether that’s happening in NH.

Hey All,

There are 5 states that don't have sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon.

I live in one of those states. NH has no EV tax credits and there happens to be NO Tesla stores so I have to go out of state for delivery and pick up. Can I still request a tax credit if my state doesn't have sales tax or EV incentives or should I pay NO TAX upfront? Can I just ask my Tesla advisor to change my account so sales tax is not included??

I also live in NH and have purchased a few Tesla’s. Here’s what happens…

Tesla will assign you a delivery location where you won’t have to pay tax upfront. Right now that is either NJ or NY.

You CANNOT pick up In MA, which is probably closer, because well…Taxachusetts. They will make you pay the sales tax if picking up within state and WILL NOT refund you once the vehicle is registered in NH.

TLDR no tax should be showing on your order unless your SA is an idiot and assigned delivery in MA.

If you’ve indicated that you are a NH resident when you placed your order, you should not pay any sales tax as long as you have the car delivered to your home or if you decide to pick it up in a state that allows you to take delivery without paying tax (NY/NJ?). However, if decided to take delivery in MA, for example, you will pay MA tax and you don’t get a refund on that. As a NH resident, I paid no sales tax and the car was shipped to my home at no additional charge (Dec2018). I hear some mixed messages that they are now charging an additional shipping fee to ship to your home under some circumstances, but can’t seem to validate whether that’s happening in NH.
I was told no more home deliveries in NH as of 2020 when I ordered my Y. Not sure if that was COVID-related or not but the policy was still in place when I ordered my S-LR in June, 2021. You must go pick up in NY/NJ.

• Informative
Reactions: JATinNH
Ugg.... Thanks All for the info! I tried having it delivered to my home in NH but that wasn't an option. Can I change my delivery location or that too late? It is still set in MA
YES! Why are these idiots trying to get you to pick up in MA? Email your SA and tell them to change the pick up location to NY/NJ.