Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get your safety score higher

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are we sure that’s accurate? Do you have a link to Tesla’s site?

I just can’t understand where the forward collision warnings could come from then because I was using AP the entire time pretty much and am quite sure I never got that alert when driving the very short time manually. Unless it’s counting me parking into my garage and being stupid?

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd

I just can’t understand where the forward collision warnings could come from then because I was using AP the entire time pretty much and am quite sure I never got that alert when driving the very short time manually. Unless it’s counting me parking into my garage and being stupid?
If you drive 100 miles, and 98 is autopilot, it factors your percentages off of that 2 miles. Half of a mile following closely would then be 25% close following distance.

Except forward collision warning. If you get 1, it averages out how many you would have gotten over 1000 miles. So if you drive 100 miles and got 1 FCW, your FCW score would be 10.

The way to avoid forward collision warnings per 1000 miles is to set your FCW setting on Early warning. That way you have time to take action before your score is dinged. The ding happens at medium FCW level.

Sure, here's the link:

The only thing total mileage counts for is forward collision warnings, but you shouldn't get any of those.

I made a spreadsheet with that huge formula on it and was able to get the same score calculation Tesla did.

I made a spreadsheet with that huge formula on it and was able to get the same score calculation Tesla did.
LG,

I did the same. There are two aspects I'm not clear on, maybe you can help.

I don't have enough data yet to see how Tesla does rounding. The daily scores are combined in a miles-weighted average, but does Tesla use the rounded scores, as they are displayed, or do they include the fractional amounts which come out of the score calculation?

(I also wonder if when they set the FSD Beta bar at 98%, does that mean 98.0+ or 97.5+, both of which display as 98 on the daily numbers? If the bar is really 98.0, that might help explain why some 98%ers are still waiting for Beta.)

Secondly, I'm not able to come up with the same cumulative sub-scores which the App displays. Weighting the daily sub scores with the daily miles gives different answers that Tesla, of course. My hunch is that along with total miles they also keep running totals of breaking, turning and following times to weight those. These total times are hidden, so I can't test to see if that would match Tesla's numbers. Do you have any insight on this detail.

Thanks, SW

Is there a logic to continuing to chase a high score if Tesla is not going to expand the Beta tester program in the US? It is more than 3 month since Tesla has added anyone to the FSD Beta program with no indication if they are going to add new people to the program in the near future. Has anyone heard anything from Tesla or a tweet from Elon on this?

The TeslaFi page for 2022.4.5.20 shows that (it looks to me) like they're actually bring new folks into the program. Previous FSD Beta loads only indicated 1 or 2 people moving from a non-FSD load to an FSD load, and I assumed that probably just represented people who were simply new to TeslaFi. But for this recent load over the last couple of days, it seems like >20% of the people getting the FSD update are new to the program. So I have hope.

1648556076803.png

The TeslaFi page for 2022.4.5.20 shows that (it looks to me) like they're actually bring new folks into the program. Previous FSD Beta loads only indicated 1 or 2 people moving from a non-FSD load to an FSD load, and I assumed that probably just represented people who were simply new to TeslaFi. But for this recent load over the last couple of days, it seems like >20% of the people getting the FSD update are new to the program. So I have hope.

View attachment 787344
The only new people have been Canada.

Reactions: Enginerd
I've heard that your safety score isn't dinged while you're on AP. While I can't be sure of that, there are times when AP puts you into a situation where you have to disengage and maneuver aggressively... and for that you may be penalized. That said, if you know of a specific weakness, just drive through those spots manually as smoothly as you can.

If you have a particularly bad event (e.g. forward collision warning), you can dump your safety score and start over by un-enrolling from the FSD beta program for a day. Then you can reactivate and start fresh. I'm presently on my second fresh start, hoping to get 100 miles with 99+, and hopefully qualify for 2022.4.5.15 if they ever start admitting new drivers into the Beta. Currently they aren't bringing in new folks... 100% of the new FSD firmware downloads on TeslaFi are coming from older FSD firmware.
Yes it does. It killed me the first time I was set up on beta request. I’ve reset mine and now I have a 98. Still haven’t got the beta invite. Really annoying he keeps announcing it’s being released every where else in the world but still won’t let people who want to be on beta in. If it’s ready for the rest of the world it’s ready for anyone in the US.

That doesn’t work anymore. The only thing that gets rid of old data now is the 30 day roll of
It has now been over 36 hour since I opted out and I'm still seeing my score, but it is not logging new trips.
On resetting Safety Score by opting out and then back in, another odd observation:

We opted in and got a terrible score one day, so bad that we could not attenuate the damage much. So we opted out, expecting the score to start over. It did not. As I posted above, the poor score remained for several days.

Four days later we opted in again and started to accumulate decent score days & miles, and slowly got back up to 98, the rounded milage weighted average of all the days including the earlier clunker.

About a week after that, on a day with 98, our score jumped to 99! How does one average 98 with a prior score of 98 and get 99? On closer inspection, the score now no longer include that first opt in period with the one bad day, and the new score was exactly the average of only the decent score days. All of this was still within the 30 day window, but the days before my 3 opted out, no score days, are no longer included.

So, just maybe, the opt-out trick still does work.... sometimes.... perhaps if one opts out for a few days. Who knows: Tesla works in mysterious ways.