Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How To Handle Friends/Relatives Who Bring Up The Tesla Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jackbowers

Jack Bowers
Aug 23, 2009
Whip out your smart phone and search the Make/Model of the car they drive followed by the words "on fire." Some 90% of the time you'll find some pretty nice video to show them. This drives home the point that car fires are not uncommon, and that they are usually worse when gasoline is on board.

Ask them what car they drive, and let them know more of that brand have caught fire than a Tesla---with 187,000 cars catching fire every year, every brand has more than a few.
I just answered such an email in this fashion:

Oh, that is horrible indeed, thanks for pointing that out to me!! But I did some research, and guess what?? The petrol in the cars that I drove the past 20 years was actually pretty flammable too!!

lambofire.jpg

If I had known, I had taken the train all the time!

trainfire.jpg

Oh no!! On second thought - I would have never left the house!

housefire.jpg

Rats!!!

:) :) :)

I've been driving plug-ins for 5 years. If any friends or relatives are still seriously having issues with the cars, well...I'm starting to run out of patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just answered such an email in this fashion:

Oh, that is horrible indeed, thanks for pointing that out to me!! But I did some research, and guess what?? The petrol in the cars that I drove the past 20 years was actually pretty flammable too!!

View attachment 32039

It's ok, the fire seems to be limited only to the passenger compartment on that petrol car...

Interesting enough, not too long ago this happened but didn't get quite the same news coverage. I guess gasoline car fires are just too common to make any news out of:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/21/dick-van-dyke-escapes-flaming-jaguar-highway-101/

I hope bicycles are still safe...

I think, beyond the "all cars catch on fire" point, I think there are a couple of things worth pointing out:

1) The car was smart enough to tell the driver that there was a problem and to pull over and the driver had the opportunity to pull of the freeway, pull over, and get out of the car safely
2) The car's engineering and design successfully contained the fire and kept it out of the passenger compartment. If an ICE gets its fuel tank ruptured, there is no chance the fire is going to be contained.

O

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) says 33 car fires are reported every hour in the U.S., and 18 percent of all reported fires occur on a road or highway and involve a motor vehicle. One person per day died in a car fire incident between 2003 and 2005, and in 2007 there were 258,000 vehicle fires causing 385 deaths, 1,675 injuries and 1.41 billion dollars' worth of damages. Teens and young adults with driver's licenses are most likely to be involved in car fire accidents, according to the National Fire Incident Reporting System, and young males are victims more often than females.

Read more: What to do if your car catches fire - NY Daily News

(apologize for cross-post, but seems timely)

The answer is simple--it's the safest car in America. Period.

That's a fact, not speculation.

The ratings that came out a few months ago haven't changed nor will they.

Now back to telling them why we love Tesla not defending it.

Capturesds_zps2e53db4c.png

Last edited: