Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to have headlights always on when driving (not using "Auto" mode)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remembered this morning the original reason I starting using my parking lights regularly when driving.

I started getting into the habit of driving with the parking lights on in high school (late 70s) when I wired the early 70's Plymouth Valiant we had with an FM Modulator into the wrong circuit.. so the only way to get FM on the AM radio was to turn the lights on. I've been driving with the lights on pretty much ever since. :)

I don't see any mention of DRLs in the description of the Tech Package. It does add cornering lights and fog lamps, but those aren't the same. This is important enough that I'm very interested to learn more. Where did you find this information?

It's still in the specs (U.S. website) as a standard option. I'd do a screen grab if I were purchasing a car any time soon, just in case.

Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 8.48.02 PM.png

It's always struck me as strange that the advent of always-on headlamps (DRLs) for safety did not also retain the use of taillights.

Were regulators concerned taillights would burn out and people would complain?

When the regulations were originally written the car manufacturers were concerned that running the headlights whenever the car was on would not allow the battery to be charged. That's why the DRLs can only draw a certain amount of power compared to the headlights. Except for their lobbying it would have been easier, cheaper, and better just to have the lights on all the time.

When the regulations were originally written the car manufacturers were concerned that running the headlights whenever the car was on would not allow the battery to be charged. That's why the DRLs can only draw a certain amount of power compared to the headlights. Except for their lobbying it would have been easier, cheaper, and better just to have the lights on all the time.

every time I see this thread I just wish I could turn my car on at night without having the headlights turn.

or I wish the car wasn't the very last car on the road in the morning, or first at night with the auto headlights on. it's like the retarded kid with the water wings on in the kiddie pool.

my apologies, drinking a little last night and posting are bad ideas.

i do wish the threshold for turning the lights on, or the dash from day to night to day mode would be a little lower. It goes day mode in gloomy dark overcast skies, but into night mode with headlights on with bright sunny skies.

Last edited:
i do wish the threshold for turning the lights on, or the dash from day to night to day mode would be a little lower. It goes day mode in gloomy dark overcast skies, but into night mode with headlights on with bright sunny skies.

I've never had that happen. I find the auto mode is just right for everything but daytime fog--then I have to manually turn on the lights. The rest of the time is just seems to do the right thing. This wasn't always the case--early software version had difficulty with changing correctly in an underground parking lot at night (it would go to day instead of staying on the night setting).