Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to hide location tracking and dashcam from owner when renting a model 3 from Turo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Will be renting a Tesla model 3 from Turo when taking a vacation trip in USA. My wife is a bit paranoid that the owner can track everywhere we go and travel. Beside disable "remote access" on the car, is there better method to hide my car's location from the owner tracking me from the APP?

if disable remote access is the only option, will navigation system works once remote access is disabled?

once remote access is disabled, does the owner knows that i disabled the remote access?

Will you have access to change those options on a rented car? I dont know, but think its possible that you wont. Perhaps you should consider renting something other than a tesla, or renting a tesla from a traditional rental car service (who wont care where you go).

Reactions: E90alex
I loaned out my car to a couple who wanted to try it out. My only request was that they not speed. Following them on my phone just to make sure they were comfortable with EVs, the first thing they did was to jack it up to 70 in a 35, on a curvy road. Not safe, and I immediately knew he felt entitled to drive it any way he pleased. My wife and I jumped into the Prius and followed him until he stopped at a 7-11 where we offered him a ride back to his car, but his test drive was over.

Some people you just gotta watch. If you're driving safely, why should you care if the owner is making sure you're taking care of HIS $50K+ machine? And if you're planning to "try it out," why wouldn't he be justified in watching? He's not at all interested in knowing where you're going, and NOT spying on you. He's much more concerned about his car.

You can't turn remote access off in the car. Doing that requires the owner's Tesla Account credentials to turn it off. You'd have to ask them to turn it off and be prepared for a "no". If my car was on Turo, I know I would never do that because it can only be turned back on from in the car and having remote access is a protection against theft. If your concerned about privacy, a Tesla from Turo may not be the best option... The owner always has full access to everything regarding the car.

I recently rented a M3 from Turo. Could not figure out how to add the car to my Tesla App and the owner did not either. Would have been much easier with App access during charging and to view security cameras etc.
I had thought this was possible?

I recently rented a M3 from Turo. Could not figure out how to add the car to my Tesla App and the owner did not either. Would have been much easier with App access during charging and to view security cameras etc.
I had thought this was possible?
Only the master account can add or remove drivers. To do that, the owner opens their app and goes to "Security" -> "Manage Drivers". From there, they can add and remove drivers. If you have an existing Tesla account, the owner should add the email associated with your Tesla account to their app as another driver and then that should auto-populate the car into your app. Then when your done with the rental, the owner can remove your access the same way.

Reactions: Ken43 and Akr
I loaned out my car to a couple who wanted to try it out. My only request was that they not speed. Following them on my phone just to make sure they were comfortable with EVs, the first thing they did was to jack it up to 70 in a 35, on a curvy road. Not safe, and I immediately knew he felt entitled to drive it any way he pleased. My wife and I jumped into the Prius and followed him until he stopped at a 7-11 where we offered him a ride back to his car, but his test drive was over.

Some people you just gotta watch. If you're driving safely, why should you care if the owner is making sure you're taking care of HIS $50K+ machine? And if you're planning to "try it out," why wouldn't he be justified in watching? He's not at all interested in knowing where you're going, and NOT spying on you. He's much more concerned about his car.
Just lock it in valet mode? Lol

Reactions: Kimmi
Hello all,

Will be renting a Tesla model 3 from Turo when taking a vacation trip in USA. My wife is a bit paranoid that the owner can track everywhere we go and travel. Beside disable "remote access" on the car, is there better method to hide my car's location from the owner tracking me from the APP?

if disable remote access is the only option, will navigation system works once remote access is disabled?

once remote access is disabled, does the owner knows that i disabled the remote access?
Refer to section 2.8 of the car sharing agreement. You will get kicked off the platform for disabling Sentry or even removing the drive.

Also this is just plain rude. It's not your property. The fact that many of these cars are owned by private people and they're risking their own property in your hands, you should play nice in the sandbox.

Also, if your wife thinks that she's that interesting of a person or that high profile that someone would care to track her location, perhaps a well-equipped Sprinter van with a professional chauffeur is more your speed. Nobody cares about you.