Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to I get my Model X to preheat in the winter mornings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TOBASH

Supporting Member
2017 Model X P100D.

It was sent to autosense my daily routine, but sadly it has not after 2 months.

How do I schedule her to warm the vehicle up at certain times on certain days?

How do I get her to pre-warm the batteries for certain times on certain days?

Best,

T

There’s a setting in the cars configuration screen that when enabled supposedly learns your habits and pre-warms to match. I’ve never noticed it purposefully pre-heating, so I don’t know if it works.

If you’re handy with software, you can setup a service that uses TeslaMS or some other library to communicate directly with your Tesla account. You can then write software that performs what ever tasks you want. For example, I use Homebridge with my iPhone to have Siri perform various tasks with my Model X.

use the phone app? :|
I guess why this isn’t the go-to option is that often times, in my experience, it can be a bit clumsy.
The app can take up to a minute and a half to load up, which isn’t what I’d call seamless, especially when it’s sleeping (MCU2 problems)

I think what the OP is trying to get it is a car that’s warmed up without spending a couple minutes out of the morning routine to make it so, since it’s a fairly predictable schedule (I’m assuming)

• Love
Reactions: Ocelot
use the phone app? :|

The phone app does NOT work as advertised and sucks as far as warming the batteries when heater is on.

We need a separate App function to specifically heat the battery while using the house charger for electric current to allow long trips to begin with a warm fully charged battery that does not waste 30 miles of charge at 800watts per hour of needed charge for long haul driving.

Of course I know there is an App, and of course I know how it is supposed to work. The problem is the App does not work as advertised.

I also am aware of auto-schedule, but it is NOT working for me in my vehicle...

Again, we need a SPECIFIC app function that uses wall current to warm a battery prior to driving! [so as not to waste battery energy needed for the drive].

After spending a gob of money on a top of the line Model X P100D, not sure I feel happy purchasing a function that should be free and used to be easy to access on the screen in prior firmware/software.
While I get what you're saying on principle, if the app doesn't do what you want and there's a solution that does what you want at a pretty marginal cost, why wouldn't you just do it? Isn't like $50 for the year?

Reactions: frank-datank
OP, in my experience, Smart Preconditioning worked “okay.” To be fair, I gave it about three weeks and felt that maybe it did the right thing 60% of the time so perhaps I needed to be more patient. In the end, I decided that just turning on the heat 10 minutes before I got to the car did the trick for the mild Seattle climate. YMMV of course.

But if you’ve turned on Smart Preconditioning, and given it two months of training, I’d say it won’t work for you. Turn it off and go the manual route.

For the manual route to warm up the battery at a certain time, you can do via the Tesla app...though not as intuitively as I’d like yet. Instead of using the app to “Have the car warm and ready to go at 6:45 am” (which how it should work!) you have to calculate the charge time for your available battery, then use the app to “Start charging the car at 3:30 am” (or whatever time will get you to your desired percentage at 6:45 am). As long as you finish charging right about the time you need to leave, the battery will be warm and ready.

It’s an extra mental step that shouldn’t be necessary, so I hope Tesla will update the app with a better way to manage that soon!

Being in the minus 20's here, I can say the new version of pre-warming is not working properly. Interesting that we can now pre-warm rear seats...if it could only work all the time....Some mornings, my seat and steering are just cold, while the app says otherwize....They shoud/will fix it. For the moment, I have frustrations....Anyone feeling the "old" pre-warm was better, like I do?