TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to ID superchargers that requires parking fee?

Discussion in 'North America' started by jjchan, Apr 19, 2019.

1. jjchan

jjchan Member

I'm planning a 10K mile road trip to the west coast starting mid May this year. Given a choice, I'd like to avoid those SC that're located in parking structures that requires a fee to use. Is there a way/website that I can identify them while I'm on the road?

2. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

I would guess that there are very few that require a parking fee. I have been road tripping in a Tesla for while now and have yet to pay a parking fee at any in the west.

There might be some in real urban settings that have fees, but none that I can think of right now.

3. jjchan

jjchan Member

Good to know if that's the case in the West. Here in Midwest & East, they are common: Chicago, Columbus OH, DC and of course, NY. For the life of me, I can't understand why Tesla would help third parties juice owners.

4. Sprandt23

Sprandt23 Member

If you haven't already, check out Plugshare (online or app). It shows not only all the Tesla Superchargers, but any available chargers of any level/kind, so in case you are in a pinch, or are looking for a hotel with a destination charger it has that data as well. And the best thing is that it is user driven, where people will leave updates, tips, notes etc (like if a charger is in a lot with a fee etc - although I have usually found that if you are charging for less than 30 mins they will let you leave for free).

Good luck with your road trip, and be sure to post about your journey here!

• Helpful x 1
  5. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

#5 mociaf9, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Probably because you're misapprehending the transaction. Tesla puts superchargers in pay lots only in areas where they don't really have other choices. In places where the pay lots are a significant portion of the available parking, those locations that do offer free parking generally aren't going to be willing to sacrifice a considerable amount of it to charging use. And pay-lot owners generally only make their money from people paying to park. They aren't providing the parking as an amenity to entice/drive/increase customer spending at the near-by businesses. So the lot owners aren't going to turn a significant portion of their revenue-generating property (i.e. however many stalls the superchargers take) into non-revenue-generating property by letting people use it for free. The only other option is to make Tesla pay for the parking, which isn't really tenable from Tesla's perspective. About the best that can be imagined is that Tesla negotiates a discounted rate for people charging because their customers are a captive and reliable market. The end result is that your choice is to have a supercharger in a pay lot or not to have a supercharger at all.

As for pay lots out west, I know the Downtown San Diego supercharger on A Street charges. And there's a new one in Downtown LA in the valet for some hotel that also charges. Those are the only ones I'm aware of off hand.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Active Member

When you touch a supercharger icon on the car's map, some details pop up; such as if it's a 75kw max charger. Are parking fees are noted there too?

7. tccartier

tccartier Member

I believe it does along with other short notes such as hotels restaurants nearby etc.

8. animorph

animorph Active Member

I usually check on Plugshare if I have a question like this. Google maps will show what's nearby and might let you know if it's in a parking garage.

Birmingham, AL has been the only one I've been to that I had to pay. Got it validated the last time through by eating at a restaurant there. Still, very annoying when you're not used to it.

9. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Spot on, @mociaf9 . It reminds me of that other thread where someone was asking about where were free places to park/charge in downtown Seattle. The answer is that charging has nothing to do with it. There just isn't free parking in downtown Seattle--period. So this is just about whether a city is so large that there aren't parking lots that are free.

@jjchan 10K mile trip sounds cool. I did a 5K mile trip across the country last year, from Idaho/Utah and then across I-70 all the way over to Dayton, OH, and up into Michigan and then back through the southwest of Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico. I never saw any Supercharger places that had pay parking.

10. jjchan

jjchan Member

@Rocky_H, The perks of retirement, LOL.

• Like x 1
  11. MD-2000

MD-2000 Member

> Rocky_H, Monday at 5:21 PM
    > NewSpot on, @mociaf9 . It reminds me of that other thread where someone was asking about where were free places to park/charge in downtown Seattle. The answer is that charging has nothing to do with it. There just isn't free parking in downtown Seattle--period. So this is just about whether a city is so large that there aren't parking lots that are free.

My thought is that you will find paid parking in constricted areas like downtowns; out in the suburbs and on the open roads will likely be free, much as most suburban and highway locations are free. So avoid the downtown.

12. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Use of the supercharger in a regulated parking structure should be free.

I've been to the structure in Riverside, CA that requires a ticket to enter; however upon exiting you tell the parking attendant you were supercharging and they don't charge you.

13. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

I don't recall the nav indicating anything about this either.

14. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Several of the communities forums, have Supercharger sub-forums that have a lot of detailed information on Superchargers. If they require a fee it should be mentioned there. Americas -