Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to ID superchargers that requires parking fee?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a 10K mile road trip to the west coast starting mid May this year. Given a choice, I'd like to avoid those SC that're located in parking structures that requires a fee to use. Is there a way/website that I can identify them while I'm on the road?

I would guess that there are very few that require a parking fee. I have been road tripping in a Tesla for while now and have yet to pay a parking fee at any in the west.

There might be some in real urban settings that have fees, but none that I can think of right now.

Good to know if that's the case in the West. Here in Midwest & East, they are common: Chicago, Columbus OH, DC and of course, NY. For the life of me, I can't understand why Tesla would help third parties juice owners.

If you haven't already, check out Plugshare (online or app). It shows not only all the Tesla Superchargers, but any available chargers of any level/kind, so in case you are in a pinch, or are looking for a hotel with a destination charger it has that data as well. And the best thing is that it is user driven, where people will leave updates, tips, notes etc (like if a charger is in a lot with a fee etc - although I have usually found that if you are charging for less than 30 mins they will let you leave for free).

Good luck with your road trip, and be sure to post about your journey here!

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
For the life of me, I can't understand why Tesla would help third parties juice owners.
Probably because you're misapprehending the transaction. Tesla puts superchargers in pay lots only in areas where they don't really have other choices. In places where the pay lots are a significant portion of the available parking, those locations that do offer free parking generally aren't going to be willing to sacrifice a considerable amount of it to charging use. And pay-lot owners generally only make their money from people paying to park. They aren't providing the parking as an amenity to entice/drive/increase customer spending at the near-by businesses. So the lot owners aren't going to turn a significant portion of their revenue-generating property (i.e. however many stalls the superchargers take) into non-revenue-generating property by letting people use it for free. The only other option is to make Tesla pay for the parking, which isn't really tenable from Tesla's perspective. About the best that can be imagined is that Tesla negotiates a discounted rate for people charging because their customers are a captive and reliable market. The end result is that your choice is to have a supercharger in a pay lot or not to have a supercharger at all.

As for pay lots out west, I know the Downtown San Diego supercharger on A Street charges. And there's a new one in Downtown LA in the valet for some hotel that also charges. Those are the only ones I'm aware of off hand.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and TexasEV
I usually check on Plugshare if I have a question like this. Google maps will show what's nearby and might let you know if it's in a parking garage.

Birmingham, AL has been the only one I've been to that I had to pay. Got it validated the last time through by eating at a restaurant there. Still, very annoying when you're not used to it.

Spot on, @mociaf9 . It reminds me of that other thread where someone was asking about where were free places to park/charge in downtown Seattle. The answer is that charging has nothing to do with it. There just isn't free parking in downtown Seattle--period. So this is just about whether a city is so large that there aren't parking lots that are free.

@jjchan 10K mile trip sounds cool. I did a 5K mile trip across the country last year, from Idaho/Utah and then across I-70 all the way over to Dayton, OH, and up into Michigan and then back through the southwest of Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico. I never saw any Supercharger places that had pay parking.

> Rocky_H, Monday at 5:21 PM
> NewSpot on, @mociaf9 . It reminds me of that other thread where someone was asking about where were free places to park/charge in downtown Seattle. The answer is that charging has nothing to do with it. There just isn't free parking in downtown Seattle--period. So this is just about whether a city is so large that there aren't parking lots that are free.

My thought is that you will find paid parking in constricted areas like downtowns; out in the suburbs and on the open roads will likely be free, much as most suburban and highway locations are free. So avoid the downtown.

I'm planning a 10K mile road trip to the west coast starting mid May this year. Given a choice, I'd like to avoid those SC that're located in parking structures that requires a fee to use. Is there a way/website that I can identify them while I'm on the road?

Several of the communities forums, have Supercharger sub-forums that have a lot of detailed information on Superchargers. If they require a fee it should be mentioned there. Americas -

I just got a Model Y. I think ll or 3 of 4 t superchargers closest to my house are in pay lots and no where near any place I would ever go. I'm having problems with my home charger so I'm feeling like I didn't join the future but joined Amway or Herbal-life...
A related issue is how Tesla just assumes we all live in suburban houses with 50 amp plugs in our garages. I rent and my electrical service is old but adequate to 240/20 amps. All I get are error messages, everything on the Tesla site seems written by someone who knows nothing about electricity. Off to a supercharger.....

I just got a Model Y. I think ll or 3 of 4 t superchargers closest to my house are in pay lots and no where near any place I would ever go. I'm having problems with my home charger so I'm feeling like I didn't join the future but joined Amway or Herbal-life...
A related issue is how Tesla just assumes we all live in suburban houses with 50 amp plugs in our garages. I rent and my electrical service is old but adequate to 240/20 amps. All I get are error messages, everything on the Tesla site seems written by someone who knows nothing about electricity. Off to a supercharger.....

Well I'm hoping that you did some research before you purchased your Model Y.

Tesla has actually made some progress in terms of rolling out Urban superchargers and actually is in tune with those that do not live in single-family dwellings where charging is readily available. But it's not going to happen overnight. You are as I was an early adopter when I got my Model S the nearest supercharger to my house was on the bleeding edge of the cars available range. There were no other options near me aside from campgrounds.

If you haven't already I would recommend downloading the PlugShare app. It is arguably the best app of its type currently out there in terms of locating charging solutions. Also I would recommend getting accounts set up with Blink, Charge Point, EVGO, etc. Get and carry a J1772 adapter with you. Consider a Chademo adapter as well "if available for Model Y I'm not sure".

As far as charging solutions not being in the places where you usually go that oftentimes is the case over time I shifted my activities to those businesses and locations that had charging solutions available. Not only did it make it more convenient for me but it helped to give something back to those businesses that were trying to pioneer the infrastructure at the time.

No worries enjoy your Tesla it will take some minor adjustments in your routines but at least in my opinion it's worth it. I'm still grinning and never going back a gasoline-powered car is just not an option for me at this time.

Last edited:
I think ll or 3 of 4 t superchargers closest to my house are in pay lots and no where near any place I would ever go.
o_O
Shocking news headline:
Parking lots in the Los Angeles area are not free! We'll have a follow-up story at 11PM on how water is wet.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Why would you think the presence or absence of a Supercharger would affect the fact it almost always costs money for parking in huge cities?

But yes, I will second that about Plugshare. You seem to have assumed that Superchargers are your only option for charging the car, but there are many hundreds of other places near you from other charging companies. Plugshare itself isn't a network or company. It's a map that is about the most comprehensive listing of all charging sources.

[snip] I rent and my electrical service is old but adequate to 240/20 amps. All I get are error messages, everything on the Tesla site seems written by someone who knows nothing about electricity. Off to a supercharger.....

Messages? Or are you mis-interpreting the charging light?

I'm only using 115V in my garage. The mobile that came with the MY works on both an original decrepit outlet that was in the original build (1972) and the one I mainly use is more modern (on a GFI circuit) put in when I expanded the garage in I think 1980. Both work. I'm probably going to update to either a 240 outlet or wall connector but my driving is limited enough that I don't really need to.

BUT

When I first got my MY, I of course plugged it in the very first night and thought it wasn't working. But it was. The light did not blink green. I did the ''white' to blue but then started blinking yellow. To top it off, I would see a message that said something about maybe there was a problem, maybe the connector wasn't attached right or something like that.

But it turned out that it was charging but at a lower speed (documented in the manual on page 156

BLUE: Model Y detects that a connector has been plugged in.
BLINKING BLUE: Model Y is communicating with the connector. Either Model Y is preparing to charge, or a charging session is scheduled to begin at a specified future time.
BLINKING GREEN: Charging is in progress. As Model Y approaches a full charge, the frequency of the blinking slows.
SOLID GREEN: Charging is complete.
SOLID AMBER: The connector is not fully plugged in. Realign the connector to the charge port and insert fully.
BLINKING AMBER: Model Y is charging at a reduced current (AC charging only).
RED: A fault is detected and charging has stopped. Check the touchscreen for a fault message.
After one of the software updates (I"m on 2020.36.12 now), it now blinks green during charging.