Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to identify Supercharging capability in Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to buy a 2013-2016 Model S. How can I tell if the car I am buying (probably online) has the SuperCharger feature? Most dealers/sellers don't mention it one way or the other. Is there a way to track this thru the VIN? (and get a list of all other options with a VIN?) Or do I need to ask the Seller/Dealer to show me a photo of ???? (what?) to prove that the car has the SuperCharger option?

All cars are capable of supercharging unless they've had it removed due to being a salvage title or rebuild. If what you're asking is about FREE unlimited supercharging for life (aka FUSC) , well that gets a little more complicated. The only way to know for sure is to buy it from a private party and verify that they have it via their dashboard prior to purchase. Even there though, as we move forward, that's going to be less of an indicator due to Tesla occasionally selling cars that have unlimited supercharging for the purchaser but it doesn't transfer like past versions.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverString
All cars are capable of supercharging unless they've had it removed due to being a salvage title or rebuild. If what you're asking is about FREE unlimited supercharging for life (aka FUSC) , well that gets a little more complicated. The only way to know for sure is to buy it from a private party and verify that they have it via their dashboard prior to purchase. Even there though, as we move forward, that's going to be less of an indicator due to Tesla occasionally selling cars that have unlimited supercharging for the purchaser but it doesn't transfer like past versions.

actually i think when the model S first came out supercharging was an option you had to purchase. not sure when it became standard.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes--salvage and rebuilt can be de-authorized. Some early Model S cars had Supercharging as a $2,000-$2,500 option. I think it only applied to the Model S 60 battery versions. I think it was not an option on the very rare 40 battery version. (that became 60's as I remember.)
Free Supercharging included is a different story. It can be removed, if Tesla resells the car. Model S & X bought before January 15, 2017 and delivered before April 15, 2017 have free Supercharging for the life of the car (unless resold by Tesla). Model S & X purchased after that is Free Supercharging for the original owner only.
Post above is correct--got sidetracked, and he beat me on the post--Good info.

Free Supercharging included is a different story. It can be removed, if Tesla resells the car. Model S & X bought before January 15, 2017 and delivered before April 15, 2017 have free Supercharging for the life of the car (unless resold by Tesla). Model S & X purchased after that is Free Supercharging for the original owner only.
Like you, I also wonder if the OP is talking about FREE UNLIMITED SUPERCHARGING as opposed to the actual supercharger module in the vehicle.

I was originally inquiring about the Supercharging option- which was truly an extra-cost "upgrade"/option on some of the early 60 cars. Thanks for clearing that up! I intend to buy only a 70 or higher model, so this will not be an issue for me.
As for the unlimited Free Unlimited Super Charging (FUSC), that is another question I have. Poster paulk wrote that it can be verified via the dashboard. Chances are I will be buying an out-of-state car, so I would like to verify the FUSC before I see the car. It looks like the cars I am interested in (pre-2017) will "automatically" have FUSC. But if I get a newer model... What screen shows the FUSC? How would I ask a dealer/seller to access that screen? As you are probably aware, many Tesla sellers provide very little info about the cars. Thanks for your replies.

It looks like the cars I am interested in (pre-2017) will "automatically" have FUSC.
You can’t make that assumption any more. Any car that has been back in Tesla’s possession at any point in its ownership history (lease returns, trade-ins) will have that feature stripped away. They’re becoming increasingly bold about doing it more or less whenever they feel like, even we’ll after vehicles have changed hands.

The only 100% safe way these days to guarantee free unlimited supercharging is to buy a pre-2017 car from a private party original owner.

I've recently just discovered my lifetime free supercharging has gone. My car is a mid 2017 build but it had lifetime free supercharging (something the previous owner had negotiated with Tesla), I hardly ever use the network but when I have it has always worked and I've never had any notifications about payments. Late last year I had the car in at the service centre and they must have plugged it in to the supercharger there because I now have an outstanding invoice for $4.50 worth of charging fees.

Two things here, why was I even charged the fee to begin with and secondly it was the service centre that plugged it in, not me.

I only just noticed the outstanding invoice this week so I guess they aren't desperate for the money but my concern is why my car lost free supercharging. I will contact them but I am sure I am going to get nowhere fast.

I've recently just discovered my lifetime free supercharging has gone. My car is a mid 2017 build but it had lifetime free supercharging (something the previous owner had negotiated with Tesla), I hardly ever use the network but when I have it has always worked and I've never had any notifications about payments. Late last year I had the car in at the service centre and they must have plugged it in to the supercharger there because I now have an outstanding invoice for $4.50 worth of charging fees.

Two things here, why was I even charged the fee to begin with and secondly it was the service centre that plugged it in, not me.

I only just noticed the outstanding invoice this week so I guess they aren't desperate for the money but my concern is why my car lost free supercharging. I will contact them but I am sure I am going to get nowhere fast.

If your car was a Mid 2017 build-it was never supposed to have Lifetime Free Supercharging (unless there was some extra special deal nobody has heard of)

The last of the Free Lifetime Supercharging required 2 things.
1. Order by Jan 15, 2017 (originally December 31, 2016 but they were swamped due to $7,000 Tax credit expiration-so it was extended 15 days-January 15)
2. The car had to be delivered and paid for by April 15, 2017

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and ucmndd
If your car was a Mid 2017 build-it was never supposed to have Lifetime Free Supercharging (unless there was some extra special deal nobody has heard of)
As I said in my post, this was something the previous (original) owner had negotiated with Tesla and it was the case with this car until recently. I was aware the car shouldn't have it when I purchased it but the owner assured me it was a special case that Tesla approved. I needed that to be true because I had to drive it 1,500+ kms home after buying it and did plenty of supercharging on the way home (for free) and have done maybe 3 or 4 superchargers since (again for free).

As I said in my post, this was something the previous (original) owner had negotiated with Tesla and it was the case with this car until recently. I was aware the car shouldn't have it when I purchased it but the owner assured me it was a special case that Tesla approved. I needed that to be true because I had to drive it 1,500+ kms home after buying it and did plenty of supercharging on the way home (for free) and have done maybe 3 or 4 superchargers since (again for free).

This is almost certainly just general confusion on the part of the original owner (in their defense, Tesla has not made it easy).

For a brief period in 2017, free unlimited supercharging did indeed “go away”, and there were some reports of it getting “added back” by sales advisors looking to close sales at quarter end. This is almost certainly the “negotiation” the original owner had with Tesla. Then after the quarter end it just came back for everyone.

HOWEVER, the terms of that “free unlimited supercharging” were changed. Originally and through 2016, it was “free unlimited supercharging for the life of the car”. In 2017 that became “free unlimited supercharging for the original owner”.

Tesla just caught up with the ownership change and you get to pay the price. Only cars ordered prior to Jan 15 2017 ever had TRANSFERRABLE unlimited free supercharging. Tesla never “negotiated” that with anyone.

Cheers for that, very confusing indeed. I think you are right, some schmuck at Tesla has finally got to my VIN and has gone 'oh hang on, that shouldn't have free supercharging still'. It took them at least a year and a half to realise that.

As for the unlimited Free Unlimited Super Charging (FUSC), that is another question I have. Poster paulk wrote that it can be verified via the dashboard. Chances are I will be buying an out-of-state car, so I would like to verify the FUSC before I see the car. It looks like the cars I am interested in (pre-2017) will "automatically" have FUSC. But if I get a newer model... What screen shows the FUSC? .

When I login to my account online it shows this: ( I do have premium interior by the way...)

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 6.26.10 PM.png

I had a small bill like that on my account as well - it turned out to be idle fees from a long time before - maybe that's what yours is as well (I have USC). I never paid it and eventually it just vanished off my account (they probably figure it's not worth pursuing).

I had a small bill like that on my account as well - it turned out to be idle fees from a long time before - maybe that's what yours is as well (I have USC). I never paid it and eventually it just vanished off my account (they probably figure it's not worth pursuing).
I thought that might have been the case as well, but it doesn't look like it. The charge specifically states - 10 kWh @ $0.45/kWh.