Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to improve Plaid suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

oktane

Oct 25, 2016
USA
My #2 complaint (after brakes) is the suspension is not great. Teslas seem very unsettled after driving over bumps or uneven roads. They are quite "bouncy", even compared to other EVs.

I don't see much available for the Plaid MS.

I drove a BMW i4 M50, and suspension was far superior.

If you're asking about ohlins, I would assume you're asking about suspension dampening and not ride height. Furthermore, if you want the car to feel settled... you want the car lower not higher. Suspension dampening has a much bigger effect on the car feeling settled than ride height but if you want you can tell the car to default to low at all times. Again... it's all in the suspension tab.

If you feel track mode controls the body well enough (or is too stiff) then the level of dampening you want is within range of the stock shocks, and you just need to dial that in. If you want to always have the suspension be in track mode without the accompanying battery conditioning, etc... then yes you'll need to go to something like ohlins/aftermarket. If you want more than then suspension can do in track mode, you'll also need to go aftermarket.

If you're asking about ohlins, I would assume you're asking about suspension dampening and not ride height. Furthermore, if you want the car to feel settled... you want the car lower not higher. Suspension dampening has a much bigger effect on the car feeling settled than ride height but if you want you can tell the car to default to low at all times. Again... it's all in the suspension tab.

If you feel track mode controls the body well enough (or is too stiff) then the level of dampening you want is within range of the stock shocks, and you just need to dial that in. If you want to always have the suspension be in track mode without the accompanying battery conditioning, etc... then yes you'll need to go to something like ohlins/aftermarket. If you want more than then suspension can do in track mode, you'll also need to go aftermarket.

Great information I'll experiment with this thanks.