Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to improve yoke buttons for $8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my model S but don't always love the Yoke. Application of these $8 clear round buttons have made a world of difference. I can now feel the buttons and not have to look down before pressing. And interestingly, the buttons are now more, rather than less responsive. And I think they look really good--should come this way from the factory.

Lots of different options but this is the pack I bought on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EDWQKW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

IMG_2329.jpeg
IMG_2332.jpeg
IMG_2333.jpeg

Good idea!
I did something like that but a little more elegant. The cut outs for the indictors are able to be felt, so I find it easier to know the button location.

I have grown to love the Yoke. Preventing the nag from popping up, holding the Yoke is more natural. Only parking lots are still a little weird.

I love my model S but don't always love the Yoke. Application of these $8 clear round buttons have made a world of difference. I can now feel the buttons and not have to look down before pressing. And interestingly, the buttons are now more, rather than less responsive. And I think they look really good--should come this way from the factory.

View attachment 819193View attachment 819194View attachment 819195
This would actually be a great help for the horn. It’s the one button I Can never find when I need it.

I added this "dot" just for my horn so I can find it by touch in an emergency. I think this is an extraordinary design blunder by Tesla. Being able to successfully activate key controls with just tactile input is important for safety and fundamental to basic user interface development.

I actually like the yoke after 6 months, but am very annoyed by the turn signals, horn and to a lesser extent gear shifting on main screen.

Oh, and when is Tesla going to make full use of the right scroll wheel? Not only can't it be programmed to control HVAC temp and other useful functions like before, the left / right clicks haven't even been implemented to control AP distance.

I believe one TMC OP who took apart and replaced the yoke, found the AP symbol above the scroll wheel is actually an inactive button. He speculated that Tesla changed UI to require scroll wheel click to activate AP instead, given someone could inadvertently press that haptic button and accelerate at the wrong time. Seems to me they should make use of it, requiring double-click for AP or something, so they can then make full use of the right scroll wheel for useful controls.

I added this "dot" just for my horn so I can find it by touch in an emergency. I think this is an extraordinary design blunder by Tesla. Being able to successfully activate key controls with just tactile input is important for safety and fundamental to basic user interface development.

I actually like the yoke after 6 months, but am very annoyed by the turn signals, horn and to a lesser extent gear shifting on main screen.

Oh, and when is Tesla going to make full use of the right scroll wheel? Not only can't it be programmed to control HVAC temp and other useful functions like before, the left / right clicks haven't even been implemented to control AP distance.

I believe one TMC OP who took apart and replaced the yoke, found the AP symbol above the scroll wheel is actually an inactive button. He speculated that Tesla changed UI to require scroll wheel click to activate AP instead, given someone could inadvertently press that haptic button and accelerate at the wrong time. Seems to me they should make use of it, requiring double-click for AP or something, so they can then make full use of the right scroll wheel for useful controls.
I agree, I really miss the ability to control fan speed from the right scroll wheel like I had in my 2018 MS. Interesting that the AP symbol has a dead button underneath--I could never understand why it was there.

Reactions: _Redshift_

Maybe double or triple tap would circumvent unintended taps.

While I am not as dramatic as some on here, I did decide to try the dot on the horn. It really does work. I have used my horn a few times in 38k miles and did not have an issue. However, this simple dot does make it easier to play with the horn and I could see an emergency situation being easier with the button.

View attachment 819193View attachment 819194View attachment 819195
Excellent idea!

Pretty disappointed in the speed of Tesla software development right now. So many thing not ported over from the pre-refreshed cars UI. The center horn we were told was coming last NOVEMBER? Energy Graph that isn't voice only and take up whole screen. Having to enter menu with 3+ pressed to set follow distance. Ability to customize left/right binacle. Display tire pressures on binacle. All these things were done already on the old car and here we are 1+ year since S refresh out. And I'm sure I missed some.

New moto, move slow and break stuff, because the yoke/ stalk less sure broke stuff no one was asking to have changed. And V11 broke a usable UI and hid things deeper in the menu so NOT as easy as v10. Disappointing the basics didn't move over from the old cars atleast.

I like the concept of the raised buttons / stickers in OP, especially on turn signals and horn but for symmetry seems best to apply to all of the buttons; do they look very shiny and "Amazon aftermarket-esque"? Perhaps that will depend more on a dust-free application... and if it leaves no residue, seems worth a shot. Worst thing is you're out a few bucks and a few minutes...

Reactions: zoomer0056

You do know the trick right, you can activate the horn just by covering the entire right side with your palm. You don't need to hunt for the horn button. Just take your palm and slam cover all the buttons on the right.