Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to increase range on MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$200 at Harbor freight and you never have to pay somebody to rotate tires again.

Trailer axles can also get bent and/or out of alignment. That seems like really high consumption based on what others have achieved with travel trailers unless you’re towing at 75mph or something. I assume it’s a single axle at that weight? Something worth checking. Easy enough to check with two pieces of rigid flat material and a couple of tape measures (google “toe plates”)

There are 19” wheel options (mainly winter tire setups) out there but I don’t think there’s any empirical data on which 265/50-19 might actually be LRR enough to improve on the stock 20’s. And you are towing so you want to be sensitive to keeping the load rating in the right ballpark, so you can’t really do the more extreme “range optimized” setups like a 245/55-19 because of load rating. I’d stick with the 20’s if I were you and get a lighter (I think they have a couple forged options) 20” wheel from tsportline if you’re really desperate for range. Because of the load rating, there also isn’t a great deal of weight to be lost going to a 19” wheel, as mass in an aluminum wheel is usually there for a reason and the 19” tires are generally heavier than the same width 20’s. Of course if you weren’t towing then it becomes a slightly heavier Model S and you can use a lot of those options, but as soon as you put a trailer behind it I wouldn’t risk it because overkill is the name of the game when it comes to towing safely

The BMW iX base uses a similar sized tire to ours so I’m watching for that tire to become available - it ought to be a better LRR tire because it isn’t asked to hold up to 150mph like the Model X because it’s limited to 200kph on the 20’s. The compromises forced by Model X’s stupidly high performance capabilities in a three row people pod have real world downsides.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'll ever let someone else do a tire rotation again--it took 1.5 hours of waiting at the tire store, and even then I caught the worker trying to rotate the tires front to back instead of side to side. It was one of the major brand stores so they should have known better. Now I'm worried that they may have failed to tighten the lugs up to specs. I'll check that today but I get upset when I have to double check everything.

I have very little faith in big name tire shops, but in their defense there's nothing wrong with rotating front to back/side to side/cross rotation and I don't expect them to know the ins and outs of every vehicle. But, they should double checked your tire sizes and noticed they were staggered.

Like anything, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself!

$200 at Harbor freight and you never have to pay somebody to rotate tires again.

Trailer axles can also get bent and/or out of alignment. That seems like really high consumption based on what others have achieved with travel trailers unless you’re towing at 75mph or something. I assume it’s a single axle at that weight? Something worth checking. Easy enough to check with two pieces of rigid flat material and a couple of tape measures (google “toe plates”)

There are 19” wheel options (mainly winter tire setups) out there but I don’t think there’s any empirical data on which 265/50-19 might actually be LRR enough to improve on the stock 20’s. And you are towing so you want to be sensitive to keeping the load rating in the right ballpark, so you can’t really do the more extreme “range optimized” setups like a 245/55-19 because of load rating. I’d stick with the 20’s if I were you and get a lighter (I think they have a couple forged options) 20” wheel from tsportline if you’re really desperate for range. Because of the load rating, there also isn’t a great deal of weight to be lost going to a 19” wheel, as mass in an aluminum wheel is usually there for a reason and the 19” tires are generally heavier than the same width 20’s. Of course if you weren’t towing then it becomes a slightly heavier Model S and you can use a lot of those options, but as soon as you put a trailer behind it I wouldn’t risk it because overkill is the name of the game when it comes to towing safely

The BMW iX base uses a similar sized tire to ours so I’m watching for that tire to become available - it ought to be a better LRR tire because it isn’t asked to hold up to 150mph like the Model X because it’s limited to 200kph on the 20’s. The compromises forced by Model X’s stupidly high performance capabilities in a three row people pod have real world downsides.

All this talk of LRR tires has me considering a set when I need to replace my tires. Not sure the extra 20ish extra miles is worth the cost. I think I paid $800 for my four Toyos.

That's not a terrible idea - a bonding plug + a Predator 4500 or something similar from harbor freight that can run a 30-amp 120v RV outlet is going to get you a lot of juice back on one tank of gas. Even one of those Honda EU2000 knock-offs can do 15 amps constant draw and get you back half a mile per hour

Or buy 20 panels and a charge controller and inverter and lay them on the ground and only fish when it's sunny :p

OK--I finally towed the boat again after making several changes. First, I aligned the front end of the MX which dropped my usage to 285 Wh/mi. Next, I increased the tire pressure in the boat trailer to 40 psi. Third, I slowed my towing speed down to 60 mph. The result--the electric usage dropped from about 825 Wh/mi to 675 Wh/mi. Yahoo! That increased my range to a comfort level that puts all four of my fishing lakes within easy reach, that is, I still had 75 miles of range remaining when I arrived home, and that would actually equate to about 30 miles of range when towing the boat. I'll probably still have some problems after about 5+ years of normal battery degradation but I expect that by then we'll have some additional supercharging charging stations along the way. And of course, the MX towed the boat with ease. I sold my Silverado and don't expect to ever need a tow truck again. And the best part is that I brought back enough trout to broil at my wedding anniversary tonight!

Last edited:
Interesting take on the compromises made to have a 150 mph tire. Agree, so stupid in the LR X.