Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Install Bag Hooks in the Trunk of the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many years ago, I had an Audi that had fantastic bag hooks in the trunk. When I got my Model S back in 2013, I was disappointed that there were no hooks in the trunk. But where there is a will, there is a way. I found those same bag hooks from Audi on Ebay (actually VW branded) and was able to install them in my Model S trunk.

I've had my Model 3 for only a couple of weeks and decided to try to install them in the trunk somehow. I think I found a very easy method that doesn't require any modifications to the car at all by simply mounting the hooks to a thin plywood board and inserting it between the rear deck and the trunk. No glue or fasteners are necessary and it's held snugly in place. It can also be very easily removed. See photos and parts used by clicking on the links below...

I had a piece of 1/8" think plywood board that I cut to 4" x 16 1/4" (though I think 3" x 16 1/4" would have been better). I painted that black so that it would blend in. I then marked where I wanted the hooks to go - roughly centered longways about 3/4" from the edge. I drilled the holes for the hooks and also had to use a 1/2" drill bit to counter sink the mounting points of the hooks. I think you can see that in the photos.

I then screwed the hooks in using the supplied bolts and washers and slid it above the trunk. Extremely easy to do. The longest part was waiting for the paint to dry.

Photos of the installation and parts
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZgTp8Gk5XN8BdBi7A

VW Bag Hooks on Amazon ($10 each with free shipping)
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Org...=UTF8&qid=1543250675&sr=1-10&keywords=vw+hook

I didn't measure the weight it could hold, but it's above the metal roof of the trunk and it feels extremely sturdy. It may not hold the entire weight of a propane tank, at least not using a plywood mount, but it would easily keep it from falling over or rattling around the trunk. There is probably a way to reinforce the mount.

What pitch is the thread? Why not just add a couple of these and be done with it?
221005499899.jpg

Reactions: Akikiki
What are those called and where can I buy one that fits onto the bolts in the Model 3 trunk?

A hook eye nut, or if you just want a closed eye, it's an eye nut.

That One Weird Bolt in the 3 trunk is, iirc, an M6, almost certainly an M6x1. (Other M6 thread pitches exist, but are unusual.)

So, that would be something like this (M6 hook eye nut [stainless steel] ESCO Eye nut [MonotaRO Singapore] EA638BU-21), maybe plus a jam nut to keep it turned the way you'd prefer.

Hook eye nuts are pretty uncommon, so you could also go with a short hook eye bolt and a coupling nut. You'd want to keep it short, though, to avoid bending sheet metal when you inadvertently whack the assembly with something, now that it sticks out.

Hey, I'm the one who published the hook on Thingiverse! My son designed it and I printed and use it in my Model 3.

In case anyone is concerned with the durability of the hook, I've used it for a few months and so far so good. I printed mine in ABS so it shouldn't get soft and warp in the warmer weather. Not sure what material they're using on those commercial sites, if they used PLA they'll get soft and warp.

A hook eye nut, or if you just want a closed eye, it's an eye nut.

That One Weird Bolt in the 3 trunk is, iirc, an M6, almost certainly an M6x1. (Other M6 thread pitches exist, but are unusual.)

So, that would be something like this (M6 hook eye nut [stainless steel] ESCO Eye nut [MonotaRO Singapore] EA638BU-21), maybe plus a jam nut to keep it turned the way you'd prefer.

Hook eye nuts are pretty uncommon, so you could also go with a short hook eye bolt and a coupling nut. You'd want to keep it short, though, to avoid bending sheet metal when you inadvertently whack the assembly with something, now that it sticks out.
Yea you could use more common regular eye bolts (available on ebay) and S-Binders as well.

I always liked the cargo hook in my old Honda Accord, so I bought a non-OEM one on eBay for $7.95. I just installed it yesterday on that One Weird Bolt, and it was very easy to do. It's very sturdy and out of the way, and it makes me feel a tiny bit of nostalgia for my Honda.

This is what I bought.

This is what I got in the kit:

what you get for $8.jpg

This is what I used:

all you need.jpg

And here's my final result:

cargo hook installed.jpg

I think it'll be much stronger than a 3D-printed one, and it looks a lot better/cleaner. I'm very happy with it.

P.S. This is my first post after lurking for many months! Please be kind. :)

Is this a bolt-on thing? What's the Threadlocker for?

I always liked the cargo hook in my old Honda Accord, so I bought a non-OEM one on eBay for $7.95. I just installed it yesterday on that One Weird Bolt, and it was very easy to do. It's very sturdy and out of the way, and it makes me feel a tiny bit of nostalgia for my Honda.

This is what I bought.

This is what I got in the kit:

View attachment 399261

This is what I used:

View attachment 399260

And here's my final result:

View attachment 399262

I think it'll be much stronger than a 3D-printed one, and it looks a lot better/cleaner. I'm very happy with it.

P.S. This is my first post after lurking for many months! Please be kind. :)

Loctite helps with bonding, different colors have varying strengths.
Loctite's statement is confusing but in general I keep it away from plastics.

"When using Loctite, be sure that it will contact only metal parts; or, if it will contact plastic parts, be sure that they are resistant to the formulation of Loctite being used. Loctite Corp. offers the guide How to Bond Plastics, which can be used to help users select the proper product. The guide states that Loctite's instant adhesives, such as SuperBonder materials, can be used with most plastics."