Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Install Bag Hooks in the Trunk of the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bnone, your install definetely looks nice and clean...
but how did you move the parcel shelf?
No concerns with drilling holes into the metal piece?
I had to remove C-pillar trims, trims on both sides of rear window, and after that I was able to slide the shelf forward a little, just to be able to put the nuts in place.
No concerns of drilling the metal piece as long as you stay away form the glass.
Actually, if I had had something like this, whole thing would be mush easier to do because I wouldn't have to do anything with the parcel shelf, just have to drill the holes and install the rivets, that's it.

Just got my VW/Audi trunk grocery hooks installed following bnone's advice and using rivet nuts. Used a rivetter tool from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/ORFELD-Setter-Metric-Mandrels-Sturdy/dp/B07XT5PF69 - only $37 and comes with M6 rivet nuts, tool worked out great, seems like a quality made tool)

I didn't have to remove any trim or the parcel shelf.
I simply marked the holes, measured to make sure the hole were exactly 11.2cm apart, drilled first with a small bit, then with a 5/8" bit (which was too small for riverts, so I had to expand the openings using the drill... ideally use a 9mm drill bit to avoid having to do that).
Then used the rivet tool to put the river nuts into the openings, and then finally used M6 1.0x16mm bolts from Home Depot to install the trunk hooks. Overall everything was very easy and came out looking like it was meant to from the factory.

Took about 40 minutes including trying to figure out how to use the rivet tool for the first time.

IMG_0067.jpg
IMG_0068.jpg
IMG_0072.jpg
IMG_0073.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0076 (2).jpg
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 83
Just got my VW/Audi trunk grocery hooks installed following bnone's advice and using rivet nuts. Used a rivetter tool from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/ORFELD-Setter-Metric-Mandrels-Sturdy/dp/B07XT5PF69 - only $37 and comes with M6 rivet nuts, tool worked out great, seems like a quality made tool)

I didn't have to remove any trim or the parcel shelf.
I simply marked the holes, measured to make sure the hole were exactly 11.2cm apart, drilled first with a small bit, then with a 5/8" bit (which was too small for riverts, so I had to expand the openings using the drill... ideally use a 9mm drill bit to avoid having to do that).
Then used the rivet tool to put the river nuts into the openings, and then finally used M6 1.0x16mm bolts from Home Depot to install the trunk hooks. Overall everything was very easy and came out looking like it was meant to from the factory.

Took about 40 minutes including trying to figure out how to use the rivet tool for the first time.

View attachment 504285 View attachment 504286 View attachment 504287 View attachment 504288 View attachment 504289 View attachment 504290 View attachment 504291 View attachment 504292 View attachment 504293
Did the same thing with M5 rivnuts. I recommend taping the bit so you don't drill too far.
upload_2020-2-22_10-20-24.jpeg
upload_2020-2-22_10-20-24.jpeg
upload_2020-2-22_10-21-38.jpeg

Reactions: Hank101 and Kiprich
I had installed these exact hooks a few years ago in my BMW. After removing them, I noticed that I had installed them with 2 regular pan head sheet metal screws. It held on fine for at least the 5 years I had them. Never came close to being loose. Of course, I didn't hang a bowling ball from it, but I had some heavy groceries. I'm going to install this in my new 3 with the same sheet metal screws. I'm sure the riveted method is stronger but may be overkill just for hooking my grocery bags to prevent them from sliding all over the trunk. The key was knowing where to drill without damaging the glass, speakers, wires. This post showed me where. Thanks.