Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to install charger in an apartment complex? Moving to Schaumburg (Chicago suburb)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I will be taking delivery sometime next month or early March. I am not planning to buy a house for one more year. I will be living in Schaumburg (a Chicago suburb). Any ideas on how and where I could find apartment complexes in Schaumburg that DO have electric plug ins for cars? Or if not, then I can negotiate with the apartment authorities to install a plug in for me in the garage (I know the establishments get tax credit if they install electric car chargers). What kind of charger specifications should I be looking for? 240V 48 amp? Or if worse comes to worse and I just get a garage with regular 3 pin power outlets, what should I do? Thanks.

I recommend that you look for an apartment complex that has a minimum of 30A / 200-240V J1772 connection. A regular 120v connection will not be sufficient for regular use. One approach would be to look on Plugshare to see if there is location that already has EV charging. You may also want to check out the regional section of this site to see if the locals have any suggestions.

Congratulations and good luck.

So I will be taking delivery sometime next month or early March. I am not planning to buy a house for one more year. I will be living in Schaumburg (a Chicago suburb). Any ideas on how and where I could find apartment complexes in Schaumburg that DO have electric plug ins for cars? Or if not, then I can negotiate with the apartment authorities to install a plug in for me in the garage (I know the establishments get tax credit if they install electric car chargers). What kind of charger specifications should I be looking for? 240V 48 amp? Or if worse comes to worse and I just get a garage with regular 3 pin power outlets, what should I do? Thanks.
Rent a house with a garage.

Get plugshare. Schaumburg should have a good EV infrastructure. Maybe if your ideal apartment doesn't have a charger you can find a place to charge near work. FYI plugshare shows numerous Chademo chargers nearby (Schaumburg Woodfield mall and a Whole Foods). I agree with above poster that Chicago winters (especially recently with bouts of extreme cold) will not add miles but at least it will keep the battery warmed for better and more efficient travel. If you need to boost your reserves, chademo is a good convenient option.

Thanks @croman Schaumburg does have good EV infrastructure with bunch of J1772 chargers. But the problem is I still would have to leave my car at these places for good 4-5 hours to get good range. While it's great t have when I am watching a movie in Woodfield or shopping but for daily use, I need to find an apartment/condo/complex with a 240 V outlet, otherwise I will be making frequent rounds to the Highland Park supercharger, which is about 15 miles away.

My point was that plugshare will allow you to look at local house chargers or apartments (I see 6 there but there might be more). You could even give one of them a text or a call about the scene out there. Plugshare has the most information (perhaps it is the only source other than a local friend). Its tough to use the Highland Park Supercharger -- you'll bleed tons of energy on that trip but it would be better than using a remote site to charge. Good luck!

My point was that plugshare will allow you to look at local house chargers or apartments (I see 6 there but there might be more). You could even give one of them a text or a call about the scene out there. Plugshare has the most information (perhaps it is the only source other than a local friend). Its tough to use the Highland Park Supercharger -- you'll bleed tons of energy on that trip but it would be better than using a remote site to charge. Good luck!
Thanks @croman. Didn't think of that. Yep I see 6 of them in the area. They appear to be residential but I will contact them as at least two of them will be within walking distance of where I will be living. And I learned today that many apartment/condominium establishments in the area are wiling to provide a 240V/40 Amp outlet for EV charging free of cost!! Once I select one place and they install an outlet, I will update plugshare. Thanks again for your comments and help :)

I work in Finance at Chicago's utility company and they had an initiative for 5000 charging stations recently that was shot down due to lack of EV interest, hopefully that changes when the Model 3 comes out.

I tried to convince them that they should specifically help apartment/condo complexes and parking garages install level 2 chargers because if people can't charge at home or work they won't consider an EV until they can charge in 5-10 mins (which hopefully Tesla achieves with V3 superchargers in a few yrs).