Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to install front license plate on MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is probably a stupid question. Does MY come with predrilled holes at front for license plate? If not, I guess Tesla service center will help?

There are no holes drilled for the front plate. The car comes with a holder that has double sided tape and fits nicely to the contours at the bottom of the nose of the car. The plate does use screws to go into the holder, but that's it - the screws never touch the car.

Reactions: kayak1
If you live in a state that requires a front plate, why not just use the taped version that comes with the car? I'll never take it off, so marring the paint isn't a big concern.

The tape will cause less damage than the traditional method of using screws. I wouldn't expect the tape to cause any damage if you heat it before removal. The yellow-can "goof off" is also useful to soften any tape glue.

Reactions: RocDeef
If you live in a state that requires a front plate, why not just use the taped version that comes with the car? I'll never take it off, so marring the paint isn't a big concern.

The tape will cause less damage than the traditional method of using screws. I wouldn't expect the tape to cause any damage if you heat it before removal. The yellow-can "goof off" is also useful to soften any tape glue.

Heat gun, fishing line and a bit of patience plus "goof off" to clean up any residue...you should be fine if there is any need to remove a taped on plate in the future. Much better than covering up any holes that were drilled.

The stock plate holder doesn't mess up the cars finish. I used mine for months then took it off because I self installed ppf on my bumper.

I just pulled the thing off with my hand slowly. It's not easy but it comes off.

Personal opinion. If you are going to have a front plate the OEM mount looks the best because it doesn't stick out.

When was this? Surely there's better things for the constabulary to be worrying about.
This was last year (Model 3). The meter maids in SF hand the tickets out like candy. I'm sure it's a huge revenue boost for the city. Cost $10 as a fix-it, but I had to put the plate on to get it signed off. I don't know what happens if you take the plate back off and were to get a second ticket.

I got a $220 fix-it ticket while parked in SF. There's my reason for putting on the plate. I used Tesla's holder. It doesn't make sense to me to spend $100 for something that's ugly and less secure.

Since you live in California, even consider this:?

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

I’m going to use it on my Model Y. I have it on my Model 3 and it looks great!

Good to know it comes with this kit. Thank you.

There are no holes drilled for the front plate. The car comes with a holder that has double sided tape and fits nicely to the contours at the bottom of the nose of the car. The plate does use screws to go into the holder, but that's it - the screws never touch the car.

What does PPF refer to?

The stock plate holder doesn't mess up the cars finish. I used mine for months then took it off because I self installed ppf on my bumper.

I just pulled the thing off with my hand slowly. It's not easy but it comes off.

Personal opinion. If you are going to have a front plate the OEM mount looks the best because it doesn't stick out.