Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to install homelink module?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely. For me, I have to park in the driveway (Previous homeowner carved out part of the garage into living space - now it’s not deep enough to fit a freakin’ car.) We have two garage doors - when I leave home, sometimes I use the left, sometimes the right. So I have Homelink set for me to manually close the garage door, but when I arrive home, it opens the left door automatically. Pretty spiffy.

Are these configuration options all accessible via the touchscreen?

Reactions: Matsayz
Are these configuration options all accessible via the touchscreen?

It's very straightforward... just touch the Homelink icon at the top right of the screen, and any programmed openers will drop down. Then touch on "HomeLink Settings" ... each device has its own set of settings; you can see mine below.

Garage Left is set to open when I arrive home; Garage Right does nothing automatic.

This way when I come out of the home, I have to close one of the doors with the HomeLink pulldown menu. I do it as a manual option because depending on the day and what I'm doing, sometimes I use the left door, sometimes the right. But when I arrive back home, I just pick the left side.

I should also note - my Chamberlain garage door openers have a 10-minute timeout, so even if I forget to close the door, after 10 minutes, they shut automatically.

It's super easy - takes longer to read what I wrote above than to configure it. :)

IMG_4364.jpg
IMG_4362.jpg
IMG_4363.jpg

@dmurphy thanks, very helpful! Looks like something I definitely need. Crazy that the Tesla website gives none of the details you’ve showed us.

My pleasure, happy to help! However ... Truth be told... if it weren't included in my car, I wouldn't pay the $300 for it. A visor clip works just fine.

Also should point out that there's potential for getting yourself all messed up here... Most (all?) garage doors openers don't have discrete "open" and "close" signals... it's just one "activate" button. So if you end up somehow out of sync, say, you have HomeLink programmed to shut the garage door when you pull away, but you're already outside and just drive away, it's going to send a signal to tell the door to move - which means you just OPENED the garage door. And if you don't catch that, and don't have a timer like my Chamberlains, well, you just left the door wide open all day.

Caution is suggested. :)

Reactions: turns2stone
Problem is, they don’t make those Homelink modules. They come from Gentex. Tesla is paying a HomeLink license fee to Gentex for every one of those modules. So even if they installed it and left it deactivated at the factory, Tesla would be paying Gentex for it. And given the cost of the module elsewhere, I suspect that’s not an insignificant license.

Not quite, I am in the electronics business and deal with lawyers everyday. I think you missed the point of DIY, intent is for YOU to buy the module yourself after market (sadly there are wrecked Tesla 3's with their parts being salvaged: bit.ly/homelink_module_ebay). AFTER the module is installed by YOU, then Tesla should OTA activate the software and pay the license. No license infringing with a friendly better way for Tesla to do business.

But you do bring up a very good question: Should Tesla pay the Gentex license fee twice? They already paid it for the wrecked Tesla, hmmm....

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Not quite, I am in the electronics business and deal with lawyers everyday. I think you missed the point of DIY, intent is for YOU to buy the module yourself after market (sadly there are wrecked Tesla 3's with their parts being salvaged: bit.ly/homelink_module_ebay). AFTER the module is installed by YOU, then Tesla should OTA activate the software and pay the license. No license infringing with a friendly better way for Tesla to do business.

But you do bring up a very good question: Should Tesla pay the Gentex license fee twice? They already paid it for the wrecked Tesla, hmmm....

OBTW, Tesla comp'd me the activation because I pressured them about activating HomeLink OTA. I really only ended up paid $150 + a few annoyed emails at needing the service appointment. I also agree with your posts on this thread that Auto MFG's do not manage software correctly;) As mentioned, I deal with lawyers every day about new mobile features going into vehicles. The auto industry approach to software is archaic:confused:

For folks interested, the reason Tesla can't or won't OTA activate the software portion of certain features is due to lawyers:mad: Tesla won't assume the liability for someone complaining about a feature being activated without the customer's WRITTEN acceptance in the form of a service contract. A software opt-in button for the auto industry isn't sufficient (yet).

Oh absolutely; my apologies if I wasn't clear! I didn't mean in a DIY situation; I meant from-the-factory. In other words, why Tesla doesn't just install the Gentex module in every car that gets built, and only activate it as an OTA feature when you pay the $300. They'd lose their shirt to Gentex this way - I can't see Gentex saying "sure, install our modules but only pay the license for the ones you turn on."

DIY, completely different scenario!

In all my years in the tech industry, I've learned to separate the technical capacity from the business capacity to do something... they are usually wildly different. Just because the tech capability exists, doesn't mean there's a business or contractual way to make it happen.

Unrelated note, looks like you're just down the road from me in Branchburg... Coffee on me at next local Tesla meetup!

How did you order it and get mobile installation? I'm 3 hours from a service center myself. When I try to order the Homelink online, it makes you specify a service center, which I'm not keen to drive to!
I'm 20mins from the service centre and expected I needed to take the car to them. I ordered it over the phone, they booked in a tech to come to me and do the install - crazy!

Reactions: Matsayz