Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Install the iOS Tesla App on new Apple Silicon Macs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a new Apple Silicon Mac* and you want to install your iOS Tesla app (or another Tesla-related app) on your new Apple Silicon Mac, you'll find it doesn't show up in the app store under "iPhone & iPad apps," but at least for now you can do the following ...

Follow the instructions at https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/12/08/how-to-use-ios-apps-on-an-apple-silicon-mac-and-how-to-extract-them-from-your-iphone-or-ipad for using Apple Configurator 2 (in the Mac OS app store) to hook up your iOS device, but instead, once your iOS device is visible, hit "add" then "apps" (in the toolbar) then the app you want. Wait until a dialog comes up asking you if you want to install, replace, or skip the app then look in the directory mentioned in the link above. Double click on it and it will install into your applications directory. Go into terminal and issue

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine [path to ios app on your mac] … you can easily set [path to ios app on your mac] by drag and dropping your application in …

Sorry, I can't really help with tech support and this does require somewhat advanced Mac skills, but it shouldn't be too hard.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
*scratches head*

... but why would one need this type of app on a desktop/laptop? Trying to clunk around a touch-oriented app with a mouse is just fundamentally slower than using the mobile device that the app is already supported for. I struggle to see real world user scenarios that I'd even want to open such an app on my computer rather than using my mobile device.

*scratches head*

... but why would one need this type of app on a desktop/laptop? Trying to clunk around a touch-oriented app with a mouse is just fundamentally slower than using the mobile device that the app is already supported for. I struggle to see real world user scenarios that I'd even want to open such an app on my computer rather than using my mobile device.
It would really be useful for things such as sending service requests where you can actually type your request and manage photos better.

But currently, the Tesla app does not run properly on Apple Silicon Macs. After the login, you get this screen and can't do anything:
Image 12-21-20 at 11.18 AM.jpg

If you do want to use a Tesla control app that was made for iPhone/iPad on Apple Silicon, I would recommend going to the App Store and selecting iPhone/iPad apps. The one I use is Tesla Remote and it works fine. The screen is also resizable.

• Informative
I saw that screen, quit and restarted the app and it worked fine ever since.

Why would one do that? I don’t always have my phone with me and it’s a quick and easy way to start a software update or check on charge. But a better reason is that it is just a geeky thing to do.

It would really be useful for things such as sending service requests where you can actually type your request and manage photos better.

But currently, the Tesla app does not run properly on Apple Silicon Macs. After the login, you get this screen and can't do anything:
View attachment 619768

If you do want to use a Tesla control app that was made for iPhone/iPad on Apple Silicon, I would recommend going to the App Store and selecting iPhone/iPad apps. The one I use is Tesla Remote and it works fine. The screen is also resizable.
Actually, I need to take it back that the Tesla App does not run. After doing the XATTR command, it seems to run OK. The screen is still not resizable (since it's hardcoded for an iPhone)
Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 11.25.15 AM.png

You can make it full screen if you want, but it's not resizeable. As far as navigation goes, it's really quite easy with the mouse, maybe even easier than it might be on the iPhone. I hold the mouse button down and swipe to go between cars with my Apple Magic Mouse.

You can make it full screen if you want, but it's not resizeable. As far as navigation goes, it's really quite easy with the mouse, maybe even easier than it might be on the iPhone. I hold the mouse button down and swipe to go between cars with my Apple Magic Mouse.
Right. But the full screen mode is obviously pixelated - just like on the iPad 2x mode. I agree that the navigation is actually easier than the iPhone. I use the Magic Mouse too.