TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to install the model x mud flaps?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Pony, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Pony

Pony Member

I just purchased a set of mud flaps ans I'm just wondering if I need to drill the holes for installing the mud flaps?
    The other holes on the splash guard do not have holes on the Tesla.
    How should I do?
    Do you have any tips for installing it ?
    Thanks.

2. RoBoRaT

RoBoRaT Zero Farts Given!

Which kind did you get, pls show.

If you have these, may have to drill a small pilot hole for the 2 screws - which I did to make it easier to install the screws. 20191211_182641.jpg 20191211_184351.jpg

3. Pony

Pony Member

4. RoBoRaT

This is the one I got, looks the same - but came with all the hardware.

I suggest install just the fronts for now - I have not installed the rear, not really needed in my opinion.

Install is straight forward.
    Turn the wheel all the way to the right ( for right/passenger side flap). It makes it easier to use tools that way (more space to work with).

The plastic base for the push clips go over the mud guard - not under it.

Mixsuper Splash Guards ABS Mud Flaps for Tesla Model X Molded Custom Fit Front and Rear Fender Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z3P24GJ/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_nXNiEbEXAD46R

Screenshot_20200117-193322_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like x 1
  5. Pony

Pony Member

If I install both front anf rear, how many holes need to be drilled?

6. RoBoRaT

2 holes each side, for 2 screws on each flap.

The rest, you will be replacing the push-clips. No drilling new holes for those.

I did not use the metal clips - they are somewhat loose. 20200117_200418.jpg

7. davezforce

davezforce IG @davezforce

I Installed the same set, but did the fronts and rears. I opted to use the plastic push clips, but purchased some from Tesla (there a little smaller then the ones provided). so there was no metal to have rust. And then also if I wanted to remove, I could just install the push clips back into holes and make it look somewhat oem.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  8. RoBoRaT

Great idea. I'll replace the metal screws with them push clips.

9. davezforce

davezforce IG @davezforce

Yea, I wasn’t sure if I’d want to keep them on for the summer and wanted a easy way to get them on/off and didn’t want to see empty holes in the plastic. Figured no one would really notice the two extra push clips there if I were to remove them. But I actually like the way they look so I think I’m gonna keep them on all year. Plus can’t hurt, it will protect the sides all year long.

• Like x 1