Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to install vinyl over your door opening switches.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I downloaded the template for the door panel switches to use with my vinyl cutter. I originally used some scrap vinyl I had laying around (the light, matte red color below), but after doing that as a test run, I've now cut matte white, glossy white, and the red in this install (which is more red and more glossy).

Matte white vs Glossy white (installed pics to come later)
IMG-20181015-182642.jpg

"Scrap" red vs glossier, true red
IMG-20181015-182740.jpg

Here's the best way I found to install it:

Cut out your door switches (this picture was before I removed the extra material from around the switches):
IMG-20181015-194623.jpg

Cut a piece of transfer paper big enough to cover the whole button, with a little extra on the non-angled side of the button. You can get transfer paper at your local craft store. It should be near the vinyl cutters (or vinyl for the cutters).
MVIMG-20181015-194844.jpg

Peel the transfer paper off its backing and stick it to the face of the button. Press down on the button part firmly. This is what will get your vinyl button piece off of its backing. Trim both pieces close to the angled side, top, and bottom. Leave the straighter side longer (see pic below). Go ahead and clean off your door button now in case there are oils from your fingers or whatever on it.
IMG-20181015-195002.jpg

Slowly lift up on the transfer paper to remove the vinyl from its backing
IMG-20181015-195148.jpg

The last step is to hold onto the extra transfer paper part to line up the button. This is where leaving the transfer paper longer on the one side really helps. Using the cutout helps you line it up.

Once you are lined up, press down firmly on your door button several times to stick the vinyl to the door button. SLOWLY peel the transfer paper off. You may need to peel up a corner of the transfer paper and hold down the vinyl piece with your fingernail as you remove the transfer paper since it really doesn't like to let go sometimes.

Once done, it looks like this:
IMG-20181015-195620.jpg

MVIMG-20181015-195554.jpg

I really like this red color better than the first piece I cut (using the scrap, matte red). I've already cut the matte white and glossy white ones, but haven't done an install on those ones yet to see which color stays on my car, so pics later!

I'm ready for my matte white units at any time! :)

I still think that the brushed silver that matched the faux metal trim around the wood dash trim and the console would be the bomb! But... not so easy to find at the hobby store!

Reactions: Chips
Nice work! Matte white would be great for those with the white interior. Where did you find the template?

I believe that Kenriko was the one who originally posted them. His template has ALL the pieces for around the door. I only wanted the door switch piece though, so I modified the template in the Silhouette (the vinyl cutter brand I have) software so it's just door switches. A bunch of them fit on one 12" x 12" piece of vinyl. This is Kenriko's Adobe Illustrator file: Add Door Switch Template v1.0 · Kenrik/Model-3-Vinyl-Wrap-Template@86c9cda

I believe that Kenriko was the one who originally posted them. His template has ALL the pieces for around the door. I only wanted the door switch piece though, so I modified the template in the Silhouette (the vinyl cutter brand I have) software so it's just door switches. A bunch of them fit on one 12" x 12" piece of vinyl. This is Kenriko's Adobe Illustrator file: Add Door Switch Template v1.0 · Kenrik/Model-3-Vinyl-Wrap-Template@86c9cda

Thanks! I likely won't try to make these myself, but maybe a local vinyl print shop can take an ai file I modify like you did and print me a few sets.

Hello,

Can't download the pdf file, can anyone please attach a copy of it in their message here.

Finally took a couple of pictures of the white button. I'm betting it would look great with a white interior!

IMG-20181026-123337.jpg

IMG-20181026-123207.jpg

IMG-20181026-123325.jpg

I probably could have lined up the cutout for the light a little bit better, but I was hurrying trying to get it on to get some pictures for you guys.

Reactions: forkee
I did end up buying a used Cricut just to play with the vinyl. I did the switches and area around the switches in a textured black called cocoon, did the door switch in brushed red. Also did the center "T" on my wheels, the "T" on the side camera mounts, and the front and back Tesla T on the car in red as well. Just a splash of color really makes a difference. I also like the "push the red button" to tell people how to get out of the car
IMG_5101.jpg