Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Jack up an S not using jackpoint Stands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's how you jack a car with air suspension option:

Park with car in very high mode.
Place blocks under all four jack points, blocks just high enough to squeeze in there.
Put car in normal height and all 4 wheels lift.
Take off all four wheels.

..just an idea.

Can you even adjust the suspension in jack mode? I assume you can't so wouldn't that cause the suspension to sense that there is no weight under the wheels and start dangerously bouncing up and down trying to balance itself? Or would it actually work? :confused:

I didn't say jack mode. Leave that off to do this trick.

But I don't think this would actually work.

I noticed something when having my car fitted with 4 winter wheels on a fancy drive-on alignment hoist. We put the car up in the air for a more comfortable working height at the wheels, and each corner of the hoist had additional flip up braces that fit under suspension components. We used those to have both front wheels off at the same time, for some reason we wanted to do that - I think we were checking clearances of compressing one corner at a time, using body weight. As my buddy was working away fitting wheels, shop guys come around and want to see the car... So I climb in driver's seat with car up in the air and proceed to demo stuff. Very well and good, demo done, I get out we get on with the job of wheel mounting. What the car did (unnoticed by me) while I was sitting in there demoing was attempt to auto-level itself. Naturally. But the frontend was slightly inclined due to those flip up braces... so the suspension bled air out of the front trying to lower the front. Because the car was blocked up nothing was appearing to move. As I was doing the demo I noticed jack mode was not on, and thought, better do that since we're playing with wheels on this hoist... so I put car in jack mode. When all wheels were mounted, braces flipped back down, hoist lowered back to ground... I get in the car and notice it's locked into an ass up and nose down posture wedge shaped like most muscle cars of the '70's. Sweeet.. the look lasted only a minute as I took the jack mode off, it figured out level again. FYI I had to put the car in very high mode to get down off the hoist or those ramps would have hit the chassis mid-rift for sure, and I had to crawl very slowly... warning to you all getting on and off any drive-on hoists.

Last edited: