Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to justify buying the new Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How to justify new Roadster?
  • Midlife crisis?
  • Need to be faster than your friend's Lamborghini?
  • Your collection of Tesla products won't be complete without it?
  • Can't pickup girls at your Ivy League College without one?
  • Always got to have the latest super car?
There are really many fine reasons for extremely wealthy people to buy this sort of product. I just hope that 1,000 of them drop the money quickly to help Tesla get the capital it needs to get the Model 3s churning out.

How to justify:

1) You can afford it.
2) You want it.
3) There is no step three.

I rented a Lamborghini Huracan to drive from Denver to Vail and back over the summer. It was super fun, but not a game changing driving experience like the original Roadster or even the S. It would appear this is roughly the same starting sticker price as the 3.0, but the 3.0 has performance that would emasculate the Huracan.

I don't think there's much of an argument against, assuming all the specs pan out and they can deliver (and there actually IS a Tesla company in three more years, of course.)

It's only 3x what I paid for my current Roadster, and the deposit is less than 2x the cost of the 3.0 battery for twice the range.

I'm in the same boat... Can't justify it, and hoping someone else will convince me otherwise.

Actually, the Roadster is too slow.
Why?
What used to take 30 minutes of time to get to and from from your favorite restaurant will take 45 minutes.
25 minutes on the road. 10 minutes to answer questions when you get there. Another 10 when you leave.
I believe most future owners will crave the newfound attention. After all, that's one of the big reasons why you buy one of these, no?

Actually, the Roadster is too slow.
Why?
What used to take 30 minutes of time to get to and from from your favorite restaurant will take 45 minutes.
25 minutes on the road. 10 minutes to answer questions when you get there. Another 10 when you leave.
You forgot "I used to drive 20 miles to my favorite restaurant, now I drive 50 miles to get to it"..."Did you move?"..."No"

I would like to see these in the autocross community just as the original roadster wound up in there quite frequently.
Although maybe on the other hand, the new roadster might be a little far out of the league of what is essentially "parking lot racing"
... more turns/time in autocross than 'real racing'
Laguna Seca was fun(only track I have driven) but autocross is a bit more intense/exciting
but yeah, the '2-twomp' Roadster might be overkill for autocross although it would be the only way I could justify buying one...I'd probably get arrested on public streets

you can turn off traction control, right?!?!