TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to justify buying the new Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020' started by Haxster, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Haxster

Haxster Member

$200K+ for a sports car is hard to justify based on any practical merits. But, here's a shot at it:

Just look at how much you can save on fuel costs using the electric Roadster as your daily driver and road trip vehicle versus your gas guzzling Bugatti. The savings could actually amortize the entire cost of the car ...in a mere 40 years or so.

• Funny x 13
  2. number12

number12 Supporting Member

What if Bugatti becomes a classic and appreciates in value and roadster value plumemnts once AP9.5 comes out??!?!?

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Not to mention how quickly you'll get from A to B in a Roadster! Time = money, time saved = money saved!

• Like x 1
  4. arcus

arcus Member

I never thought someone in the market for 200k car will use fuel savings as a rationale behind :D

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  5. LCR1

LCR1 Member

No one buying a $200K sports car buys it on the practical merits. If you're trying to justify a super sport purchase your in the wrong market.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  6. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

How to justify new Roadster?
    • Midlife crisis?
    • Need to be faster than your friend's Lamborghini?
    • Your collection of Tesla products won't be complete without it?
    • Can't pickup girls at your Ivy League College without one?
    • Always got to have the latest super car?
    There are really many fine reasons for extremely wealthy people to buy this sort of product. I just hope that 1,000 of them drop the money quickly to help Tesla get the capital it needs to get the Model 3s churning out.

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 1
  7. Eric from NE

Eric from NE Member

How to justify:

1) You can afford it.
    2) You want it.
    3) There is no step three.

I rented a Lamborghini Huracan to drive from Denver to Vail and back over the summer. It was super fun, but not a game changing driving experience like the original Roadster or even the S. It would appear this is roughly the same starting sticker price as the 3.0, but the 3.0 has performance that would emasculate the Huracan.

I don't think there's much of an argument against, assuming all the specs pan out and they can deliver (and there actually IS a Tesla company in three more years, of course.)

• Like x 5
  8. gregd

gregd Active Member

It's only 3x what I paid for my current Roadster, and the deposit is less than 2x the cost of the 3.0 battery for twice the range.

I'm in the same boat... Can't justify it, and hoping someone else will convince me otherwise.

9. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

"Honey, if you go into labor, we can make the 10 miles to the hospital in 2 minutes, 24 seconds..."

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. Zextraterrestrial

11. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Do they have such a thing as a "Companion Car"? Maybe you could write it off as a medical expense then.:D

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  12. Haxster

Haxster Member

Actually, the Roadster is too slow.
    Why?
    What used to take 30 minutes of time to get to and from from your favorite restaurant will take 45 minutes.
    25 minutes on the road. 10 minutes to answer questions when you get there. Another 10 when you leave.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 2
  13. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Kids - sorry about that college savings plan

• Funny x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. Buook

Buook Member

I believe most future owners will crave the newfound attention. After all, that's one of the big reasons why you buy one of these, no?

15. IdaX

IdaX Member

I'd like to thank all of the Roadster2.0 reservation-holders for their generous donations to Elon Musk's "Save the World Through Engineering" fund.

• Like x 2
  16. Buook

Buook Member

I would like to see these in the autocross community just as the original roadster wound up in there quite frequently.
    Although maybe on the other hand, the new roadster might be a little far out of the league of what is essentially "parking lot racing"

17. flar

flar Member

You forgot "I used to drive 20 miles to my favorite restaurant, now I drive 50 miles to get to it"..."Did you move?"..."No"

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  18. Zextraterrestrial

... more turns/time in autocross than 'real racing'
    Laguna Seca was fun(only track I have driven) but autocross is a bit more intense/exciting
    but yeah, the '2-twomp' Roadster might be overkill for autocross although it would be the only way I could justify buying one...I'd probably get arrested on public streets

you can turn off traction control, right?!?!

19. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

meanwhile... the folks who do can are getting reservations asap... please continue this discussion for the rest of us

20. kiwiguy

kiwiguy Member

It's only money!

Now you have some motivation to work harder/smarter and earn more!

• Like x 4