Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to keep front end clean after the bugs attack !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have PPF so I'm not worried about scratches. You can buy a consumer grade ceramic or graphene coating which makes the paint surface very slick, so bugs come off very easy before the harden. I use 3D Bug Remover to help soften the ones that get baked on to the surface.

I use Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions graphene spray wax and it's been great. Their ceramic spray wax is also very good.

XPEL makes a temporary PPF for road trips. So does another company.

I also have ceramic on one Y and graphene ceramic on the other Y.
And for road trips, I also use this stuff, which I used to use on my motorcycles. I’d spray and leave on to make slick and then wipe off when I got to my destination.

XPEL TW4T20 Clear 4" x 20' Temporary Paint Protection Film (Tracwrap) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M5LEEB0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Y4DARZAR1JKR32K0PRTH

TRACK ARMOUR TA6X100-6'' x 100' - Temporary Track Day Paint Protection Clear Adhesive Film for Car https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07F3DW4TQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_WN6RHC5K205W0CZ6ZSQF?psc=1

Maxima 78904 SC1 Clear Coat Silicone Spray 4 oz Aerosol Can, Single https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B091S4N...abc_03RZSSE98A8TSQS5FREW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have PPF so I'm not worried about scratches. You can buy a consumer grade ceramic or graphene coating which makes the paint surface very slick, so bugs come off very easy before the harden. I use 3D Bug Remover to help soften the ones that get baked on to the surface.

I use Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions graphene spray wax and it's been great. Their ceramic spray wax is also very good.
Yes, I have noticed that since putting a ceramic coating on there quite some time ago, it has been much easier to get the bugs off.

OP, I hear that a Jackhammer will also remove stubborn bugs. :eek:

What is best to use after a wash which will also serve well for a ceramic coating. How often should a ceramic type coating be applied vs the traditional spray wax.

What is best to use after a wash which will also serve well for a ceramic coating. How often should a ceramic type coating be applied vs the traditional spray wax.
Few years.

XPEL makes a temporary PPF for road trips. So does another company.

I also have ceramic on one Y and graphene ceramic on the other Y.
And for road trips, I also use this stuff, which I used to use on my motorcycles. I’d spray and leave on to make slick and then wipe off when I got to my destination.

XPEL TW4T20 Clear 4" x 20' Temporary Paint Protection Film (Tracwrap) Amazon.com: XPEL TW4T20 Clear 4" x 20' Temporary Paint Protection Film (Tracwrap): Automotive

TRACK ARMOUR TA6X100-6'' x 100' - Temporary Track Day Paint Protection Clear Adhesive Film for Car Amazon.com: TRACK ARMOUR TA6X100-6'' x 100' - Temporary Track Day Paint Protection Clear Adhesive Film for Car: Automotive

Maxima 78904 SC1 Clear Coat Silicone Spray 4 oz Aerosol Can, Single Amazon.com: Maxima 78904 SC1 Clear Coat Silicone Spray 4 oz Aerosol Can, Single: Automotive
This is the greatest thing I have ever seen! I have been agonizing about driving my MY home un-protected (nearest delivery center is over 4 hours drive away) and this solves my anxiety!

The question now is, how much do I need to temporarily protect the car? Front of hood, front of front fenders, mirrors, headlights and bottom of rear doors at minimum, possibly the whole front bumper as well depending on the advice I get here... I guess the real question is "what is the frontal area of the MY in square feet minus the square feet of the windshield".

Thanks so much,

Keith

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen! I have been agonizing about driving my MY home un-protected (nearest delivery center is over 4 hours drive away) and this solves my anxiety!

The question now is, how much do I need to temporarily protect the car? Front of hood, front of front fenders, mirrors, headlights and bottom of rear doors at minimum, possibly the whole front bumper as well depending on the advice I get here... I guess the real question is "what is the frontal area of the MY in square feet minus the square feet of the windshield".

Thanks so much,

Keith
So basically, they created this to replace the “painters’s tape” approach that many of us did (and some still do.

wherever you’d put paunter’s tape, that’s where you can put this.

mom about to take a road trip soon and I’ll be putting it on:
-Lower portion of hood
-front bumper
-mirror caps

Looks like the entire frontal area of the Y (including windshield) is 23.7 square feet. The 4" x 20 ft gives you only 6 feet of coverage, possibly enough for hood edge, mirrors, and headlights... but I don't think it would be enough for the bumper. If you go with the 6" x 40' that gives you 20 square feet of coverage... since you are not doing the windshield, but you are doing the bottom of the rear doors do we think that would be enough?

Thanks,

Keith

Need consumer grade recommendations.
Most consumer grade coatings are good for 5-12 months. With the Meguiars ceramic wash video I linked above, that'll help extend the hydrophobic properties.

When my wife watches me wash her Model 3, she always comments how smooth and slick the car feels and how easily the water flows and beads off. She loves the Turtle Wax graphene coating. Costs about $24/ bottle and is probably enough for 4-5 coatings, so 2 years for 1 car if you reapply twice a year. Quite inexpensive.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom