Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Keep Hands on Wheel? Reward it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SOULPEDL

Cyber-Bandit is Ready!
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2016
Arizona
Referral Code
New rule: People who keep their hands on the wheel the most get the upgrades first. (I'm gonna hear about this one!)

Look at it this way. Those who get repeated warnings - do you want them to test new AP features? I guarantee you will have an immediate improvement... along with a lot of complaining. But in almost every accident scenario we hear "the driver was warned several times." People are drooling for the next upgrade, that has incredible motivation and power.

And as I've posted several times, train people how the system works. Bring them to an understanding of WHY it's dangerous on turns at high speed... Explain the advantages as well (fog/deer). Don't just say, "Eventually they will be safer than humans, but not there yet..." That's only true in general. It will always depend on the scenario. So educate them.

The other approach I offered was to give users a relative scoring of the driving conditions real-time (AP confidence levels). Then explain why as follow up when they get home (or even better, before you actually get your car keys).

The alternative we're in is a mandate that people did not follow, and now tighter restrictions. Maybe that's how you raised your kids in the 60's.
"Don't do that..."
"Why?"
"Don't ask questions! You're grounded!"

Can we get past this please?

New rule: People who keep their hands on the wheel the most get the upgrades first. (I'm gonna hear about this one!)
Can we get past this please?

This is the problem. The system DOES NOT MEASURE your hands on the wheel. I can very quickly show you that my hands are on the wheel and that I am extremely attentive, as the nag message goes off.

The system measures your hand fighting the autopilot. If you and the autopilot agree, there will be no torque on the wheel. It's only when you disagree that torque exists.

I was aware, but that's all he uses to detect awareness currently. So I nudge a lot, but never without looking at the road in case I pop It out. So just count warnings over drive times as a ratio. It's the behavior he wants, and there is correlation to awareness. Others suggest defeating with mechanisms, but doubt that's very many. There's always people gaming the system.

This is basically a "yeah what he said" reply with a few more details.

I do keep at least one hand on the wheel all the time, and am constantly getting the nag messages. I'm pretty fed up with it too, and use AP less and less. It is not worth the money I put into it.

If I drive more than 100 miles, my arms are tired and sore, not from driving, but from responding to the stupid nag messages. Also tired of the beeps and boops when I'm trying to listen to music.

I also don't like the idea that if I get into an accident, Tesla is going to report (incorrectly of course) that "the driver (ie. me) did not have his hands on the wheel when the collision occurred and was warned 47 times in the last 30 minutes to put his hands on the wheel".

The basic problem is that the car does not correctly measure driver involvement.