Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to keep the car "running" and open when walking away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you want to do this though? If it's because you are walking away and someone is still in the passenger seat just tell them to tap the screen when you get out and everything stays on for them.

If nobody is in the car then camp mode.

If you have an animal in the car then dog mode.

If you want to just have the AC on use keep climate on.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
If you leave passenger(s) in the Tesla Model Y and you take your phone the doors will automatically lock on exit (if enabled) and the vehicle alarm will be active. If a passenger opens a door this would set off the vehicle alarm.

Camp mode ensures that the doors of the Tesla Model Y do not lock when you leave. The Climate Control system will remain running and the infotainment screen remains powered on so the passengers can play games, listen to music or stream video content. Opening a door or window will not set off the vehicle alarm.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
If you leave passenger(s) in the Tesla Model Y and you take your phone the doors will automatically lock on exit (if enabled) and the vehicle alarm will be active. If a passenger opens a door this would set off the vehicle alarm.

Camp mode ensures that the doors of the Tesla Model Y do not lock when you leave. The Climate Control system will remain running and the infotainment screen remains powered on so the passengers can play games, listen to music or stream video content. Opening a door or window will not set off the vehicle alarm.
So each time I leave the car and there is a passenger staying in the car, turning on the camp mode is the right thing to do?

So each time I leave the car and there is a passenger staying in the car, turning on the camp mode is the right thing to do?
That's what I would do unless the passenger understands that opening any door until you return will set off the vehicle alarm (horn honks, lights flash).

If you enable Camp mode, leave the Tesla Model Y with your phone if the passenger(s) who remain lock the vehicle doors after you leave the vehicle I don't believe the vehicle alarm is set.

"Camp allows you to power electronics through the USB ports and low voltage outlet in addition to maintaining the cabin temperature. The touchscreen remains on so you can play music, browse the internet, play games in the arcade, or watch shows in Tesla Theater. You can also control media and climate settings from a paired phone. Camp is ideal for remaining inside your vehicle, such as camping or staying with a child. While active, Sentry Mode and the vehicle alarm system are disabled."

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and tris