Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to know what my onboard charger is rated at?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have a UK 2017 75D and I currently charge at 11kW (32amps) which gets me 21 miles per hour charge @ 240 volts.

I do have 3 phase to my house and wondered what I could go up to - I believe 22kW is the maximum 3 phase can do @ 32amps? Will my car be able to handle this?

Thanks for any advice.

with the car not plugged in go to the charge screen and see what the slider says. If it says 72A then you're good to go if it says 48A then that's all the car can handle. You can offer it more juice but that's all it'll take. Meaning if you installed an 80A outlet it would only pull in 48A

Hi all, I have a UK 2017 75D and I currently charge at 11kW (32amps) which gets me 21 miles per hour charge @ 240 volts.

I do have 3 phase to my house and wondered what I could go up to - I believe 22kW is the maximum 3 phase can do @ 32amps? Will my car be able to handle this?

Thanks for any advice.
11kW is the maximum AC charge rate for your Model S. Some earlier Model S's have dual AC-DC inverters on board which lets you charge at 22kW but it was no longer an option for the 2017 model.

11kW is the maximum AC charge rate for your Model S. Some earlier Model S's have dual AC-DC inverters on board which lets you charge at 22kW but it was no longer an option for the 2017 model.
Thanks for the info but are you 100% sure this is right as some sites say the 2017 UK facelift models have a 16.5kW onboard charger?

There's a lot of information getting mixed in here that is difficult or not applicable because it's referring to the North American configurations--not the European ones.

with the car not plugged in go to the charge screen and see what the slider says. If it says 72A then you're good to go if it says 48A then that's all the car can handle. You can offer it more juice but that's all it'll take. Meaning if you installed an 80A outlet it would only pull in 48A
This is only true about the North American cars, where it's single phase only, so yes, you could read just the amps and know exactly what is going on. It's not so simple when the chargers can do 3 phase.
It says 32amps
Right, but I think that reading on the screen is like maximum amps per phase, so it might do more total power with 3 phase.

I don't think this is correct. The 11 and 22 kW was for the single/dual (In the U.S., we refer to that as 40A or 80A, since we are single phase.), which got changed with the early 2016 refresh of the Model S.
Thanks for the info but are you 100% sure this is right as some sites say the 2017 UK facelift models have a 16.5kW onboard charger?
Right, after this Model S refresh, I think the charger options were like 12 kW and 16 kW (For North America, we called it 48A and 72A.) But Tesla went through several periods of time with different configurations and optional upgrades. They were tying it to battery size for a while, where the 75 batteries got the 12 kW, and the 90 and 100 sized batteries got the 16 kW. But I think they were for a while offering the upgrade to the bigger charger as a paid option for the 75--not sure.

@Tevvy I'm going to go with the Gordian Knot solution to this. Look up on Plugshare to find a high power 3 phase public charging station near you (like a 22 kW one) and go use it to see what you get. The car will take the most it can accept and will show on the screen what it is pulling in, so you can see what the maximum charging power is. There's your answer.

I thought that was the case but from @Rocky_H 's comment above I'm not so sure any more. The max charge rate might indeed refer to US cars only.

I also have a 2017 Model S. I've charged at more than few 22kW chargers (according to Zap Map) before and have never seen higher rates than 11kW.

None of the information listed in this page Onboard Charger applies to my car. It has always been charging at 16A@240V on a 3-phase charger.

The only information about charging capability I've come across is EVDB e.g., Tesla Model S 100D . The user manual doesn't mention the max charging rate.

Given that Tesla has taken a few steps back when it comes to charging capability and the model 3/Y's max 16A rate on 3 phase, I wouldn't be surprised if the information on EVDB has become outdated i.e., it might have been true for a few early builds of the facelift MS, but they could have started using the same AC charger across all models since Model 3 started getting produced.

Ok I’ll do this and report back. Just out of interest, does it always show the kW on the cars display? I know it does when supercharging but I don’t recall seeing this when on AC supply?
Yes, in addition to the same information in the car, the app also indicates if the charger is on a 3-phase circuit (you will see a badge with number 3 near the top of the app).

Last edited:
Nope, I cannot see the kW anywhere on the car or app when charging on AC
Here is what mine says:

Screenshot_20220331-101429_Tesla.jpg

The car shows the same information in the instrument cluster, except for the amount of energy taken (which would be on the Charging screen).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220331-101429_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220331-101429_Tesla.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 147
Here’s mine. For some reason completely different?
If you tap on the "112 mi" figure next to the battery symbol then it'll switch to percentages.

For the car/app to show the kW, it seems that you'll need to switch the display in the car from remaining miles to percentages as well.

Totally obvious, I know :) .

Edit: There seems to be no means to change the charge current from the app. It looks like your MS has MCU1, or you don't have the latest car's firmware or app update?.

You can also calculate the charging rate by multiplying the charge current by the voltage: in the screenshot above it is: 16 * 229 = 3664W, or ~3.7kW.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Ah yes. It only needs the car to be in percentage to show it in the app.
It's not specific to the app; it's the car screen as well. It's been this way for a long time, though. In the settings of the car, if you change the range display units between "Energy" or "Distance", that switches the little battery meter units from % to rated miles, but it ALSO changes that unit during charging from kW to the rated miles per hour.