TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to know which firmware update I am currently downloading?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Dj B, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Dj B

Dj B Member

Just got a notification on the phone app that I have an update available for my X. So I went out to the car to DL. The notification doesn't tell me any information, and the phone app tells me nothing besides an update is available. Is there any way to know which update you are getting prior to the DL? I only ask because I am 2 firmwares behind.

Also, the app doesn't seem to provide any information on the firmware update status like how much time is left etc. Is this normal?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

It's all normal. There is no way to tell what the update is before you receive it. You can check the Firmware Upgrade Tracker (http://ev-fw.com/) to be able to make a reasonable guess.

The app will (or at least should) inform you when the update is complete. Resist the urge to go check on the car. In the past, some people have messed up their updates by opening doors, etc., while the update is in progress. If you don't see a notification on your phone after a couple of hours, you can go check on the car from the outside, but leave your key fobs far away. Don't open a door unless you see that the update has completed. (I'm serious about this.)

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Dj B

Dj B Member

Awesome, thank you so much for the info!

• Like x 1
  4. Andyw2100

No problem! Happy to help someone new to Tesla, as I was helped when I was new.

5. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

fwiw, I believe the mobile app also tells the user when the firmware update has been completed, you can check that and then approach the car once the notification has been received.

6. Andyw2100

Yes, I said that in my initial response:

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

As @Andyw2100 noted, the firmware update notice doesn't state what version number will be installed. In my opinion it doesn't matter, Teslas are like smartphones: you need to keep them up to date with the latest OS versions so you get the security fixes and bug fixes they provide as well as the latest features. If you resist install updates your smartphone or your Tesla will be vulnerable to hacks and known firmware issues (known to Tesla and maybe or maybe not known to Tesla owners) won't get corrected.

As far as I know it doesn't matter if your Tesla is "2 firmwares behind", the update install should detect whatever version you are running and handle that.

There are people (I am not saying you are one of them) who fiercely resist some firmware upgrades because they are convinced they will lose some functionality, or whatever. I think their course of action is a serious mistake. This has been debated endlessly on TMC for years now.

• Like x 1
  8. dkim12

dkim12 Member

Thought I was getting the autopilot update this morning but it was the same update I had from before with the equalizer and auto door settings. Strange ...

Attached Files:

9. bushburner

bushburner Member

are you sure the new firmware pushed through?

10. Andyw2100

Did you check the version number against your previous version number? (You can see the installed version number by pressing the "T" logo.) Just because the release notes are the same that does not mean the version is the same. (You showed a picture of the release notes, which is why I am pointing that out.) It is actually almost unheard of for someone to receive the same update twice, which is why I am suggesting you may have actually received a newer version. (Typically the only times people receive the same version again are when the update failed for some reason.)

A great way to keep track of your updates is @HankLloydRight's Firmware Upgrade Tracker. http://ev-fw.com/

• Informative x 1
  11. dkim12

dkim12 Member

Just came home and checked...Same version as before. Nothing changed. Update complete even showed up after 1.5 hours. Really strange

12. Andyw2100

That probably means there was an issue with your first installation of that firmware version so Tesla chose to send it again.

13. Mmccue

Mmccue New Member

Actually, this just happened to me as well. Previous update for supercharger amenities/driver profile had installed and was working fine a week ago. Got new notice of update this morning but after completing it was exactly the same update as before.

14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Just to clear up one thing, you don't ever start the download. The car downloads the update, unpacks it, verifies it, and then gives you the notification that it is available to install.

• Informative x 1
  15. Mmccue

Mmccue New Member

Ah Hah! Mystery solved. Turns out this was the Ludicrous+ Easter egg. Very cool. Tesla Ludicrous+ Easter egg makes its way to P100D vehicles, 0-60 in 2.4 seconds