Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to lease return during covid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lease return is due in one week.

Tesla's website says they will contact me 30-60 days before the scheduled lease return. They still haven't contacted me.

Calling Tesla finance results in a recorded message that they don't answer the phone anymore and I need to email them.

Tesla finance doesn't answer emails... I'm still waiting on a reply from an email I sent them 6 months ago as well as the recent email.

So how do I return the car?

BTW if someone in CO wants to buy an X P100DL from Tesla I can tell you about one they will likely put on the market soon... Or if someone near Boulder wants winter wheels+tires please message me.

I did try that method.
The service advisor did call, and he told me to email the email address I've already been emailing. At least he offered to email them himself in case he gets more response than I did.
It is also good that I have a solid paper trail that I tried to return the car.

If I don't get it resolved by my trip in a week I might secretly park the car at the service center and lock the keys inside. I don't think Tesla will notice and when they all me to return it I can unlock it for them.

Reactions: Hebert
This is now getting rather silly.

At the end of May I returned the car to the service center (left it locked in the car park with a full battery) and sent tesla finance an email as such.
It is now 2 months later.
Still no contact from Tesla about returning the car, or acknowledgement that I have returned it.
The car is still in my Tesla account.
The car doesn't appear to have been touched since I dropped it off.
It is in a deep sleep and the app can't contact it, probably due to low battery.
I'm not sure if I can stop paying for insurance yet.

The other issue is that I locked the keys in the car knowing the app can unlock it, but if the app can't reach it anymore due to low battery then it is probably stuck.

FWIW, Tesla SC can open an X with dead batteries. Tesla SC can also open vehicles with good batteries. They now do the latter remotely when mobile tech arrives instead of having you unlock the vehicle.

Nice. I finally got through with the app, still got 71 miles of range left. I think it might go into low power mode at 20% which is about 55 miles?
I might drop by the service center and plug it in.

Have you tried their lease return email: [email protected]

I emailed them about my return approx. 45 days out and got a response the next day on the return process.

My lease is up on 8/20 and through the email address above they have guided me on the (now) virtual lease inspection and return appointment time. I previously emailed the finance department and like you, never heard back.

Have you tried their lease return email: [email protected]

I emailed them about my return approx. 45 days out and got a response the next day on the return process.

My lease is up on 8/20 and through the email address above they have guided me on the (now) virtual lease inspection and return appointment time. I previously emailed the finance department and like you, never heard back.

That was the email address I used on June 4th and in May... all I got was an autoreply confirming receipt of the email and they would deal with it shortly. It sounds like you emailed them a month after me, so I guess they actually have someone working again now. I'll ping them on that thread now and see what happens.