TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to Leave HVAC on when Driver Leaves Car

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by markn455, Jul 21, 2016.

1. markn455

markn455 Member

This seems to happen every time. If a passenger(s) wants to stay in the car while the driver runs inside for a few minutes the HVAC turns off. I have tried leaving the FOB in the car but that does not work. Is there a way to make it stay on? Seems like if the driver's butt is not in the seat it just turns off seconds after the driver exits the vehicle.

2. cman8

cman8 Member

put the car in neutral and apply the parking brake

• Like x 1
  3. markn455

markn455 Member

Thanks, I will get that a try. Not sure what that process is but I can figure it out.

4. mddmx

mddmx Member

Just leave your car as usual, take your key and have your passenger touch anywhere on the touch screen. The a/c will stay on once they do this.

• Like x 1
  5. cman8

cman8 Member

Not too hard. Hit up twice ( 1 for reverse 2 for neutral) then go into the settings and you should see the icon for emergency brake. This will leave the car AC on as long as you have it this way (or heat if your doing it in the winter. Other option is going into your tesla app after you leave the car and start the climate control. But I think this method shuts it off after a while.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

posted before: Close the door to the first click only. AC will stay on.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. markn455

markn455 Member

That is a way that I have tried a couple of times but that shut off too...eventually. Today I figured that I would just go into the app and turn it back on. However, this is one of those many times that the app could not find the car for 5 minutes and then I was aback to the car already. You can never count on the app finding quickly on a consistent basis..even when you have "Always Connected" selected.

I Like the Neutral/Parking Brake approach. I will give that a go later today. Thanks

8. markn455

markn455 Member

Very good! I searched all around before I posted but that seems to be the simplest method!

9. Boourns

Boourns Member

Not sure what phone you have, but at least for Android, if the app can't connect within 10-15 seconds I just kill the app and relaunch. Nearly every time, the app will find the car within a few seconds after I do that.

• Informative x 1
  10. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

All of these methods (1 click, screen tap, etc.) only work for 30 minutes at a time. After that the car will shut off the AC. So if you're leaving your dog in the car for a full day, this wont work. If it's an adult who can tap the screen again, then you're fine.

• Informative x 1
  11. markn455

markn455 Member

LOL... most of the time it's just my wife while I run in the store for 5 minutes or perhaps back into the house to grab something we forgot. :)

12. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Also be aware when a passengers is in a locked car and then opens the passenger door to get out, the alarm sounds.

13. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

As soon as the driver closes the door, have the passenger tap the center screen. HVAC will stay on for 30 minutes or until another door is opened.

• Informative x 1
  14. f-stop

f-stop Member

another idea... the 3rd party iOS app Remote S has a "Camp Mode" setting, it will supposedly keep the AC running indefinitely, as long as the app is running in the foreground and the phone remains unlocked (I have the app but haven't tried this myself)
    Remote S, Version 2.0 User Guide (Draft)

15. 787steve

787steve Member

Leaving your dog in the car all day??

16. mobe

mobe Member

Be aware, the ac will stay on but the car will also remain ON AND UNLOCKED!

• Informative x 1
  17. JCV3

JCV3 New Member

Thanks all, for the information regarding climate control. I have a similar question regarding the radio - haven't yet figured out how to enjoy music playing at selected volume while outside but near car.

18. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Does mother-in-law work better in the context?

• Funny x 1
  19. 787steve

787steve Member

Let me think about that.................