Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to leave vehicle on when outside of vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to let's say polish your car and listen to the radio with the windows open how do you do this without leaving a brick on your seat? Seems even if you leave the fob in the car if no one is sitting in a seat it shuts down.

I've been trying to find a way to keep the AC on when we leave the dogs in the car. I tried piling about 100 lbs of tool bags on the driver's seat and that didn't work.
Leaving the door slightly ajar worked for about 15 minutes. I will try the parking break suggestion. So far all I've used is to turn on the AC with the app, set a 15 minute alarm to check it every 15 minutes.
I thought that there was supposed to be a "dog" setting - maybe later .

I've been trying to find a way to keep the AC on when we leave the dogs in the car. I tried piling about 100 lbs of tool bags on the driver's seat and that didn't work.
Leaving the door slightly ajar worked for about 15 minutes. I will try the parking break suggestion. So far all I've used is to turn on the AC with the app, set a 15 minute alarm to check it every 15 minutes.
I thought that there was supposed to be a "dog" setting - maybe later .

I don't think the car or the app was designed for dogs. However, if you are using an iphone you might try Remote S. It has a camping mode that allows you to run the A/C for 30 minutes at a time. But you must leave the app running on that camping mode screen else the A/C stops. You might also try the new iOS app called Tesla Plus. He says his Camping mode runs for 12 hours. His cost for the app is a subscription service and currently is priced monthly at $ 2.49, making it $30 a year.

I like to do the same when i wash the car - I get in, "start" the car, then roll the window all the way down and hop out. Of course, as soon as the door closes, the car shuts off, but since i have the window down, i can reach in and tap the screen to turn the car back on. Then, just reach in and pull the window up. Your music will still play.
The downside is when you want to change the song or the volume, you have to repeat the same routine.

I don't think the car or the app was designed for dogs. However, if you are using an iphone you might try Remote S. It has a camping mode that allows you to run the A/C for 30 minutes at a time. But you must leave the app running on that camping mode screen else the A/C stops. You might also try the new iOS app called Tesla Plus. He says his Camping mode runs for 12 hours. His cost for the app is a subscription service and currently is priced monthly at $ 2.49, making it $30 a year.
How is Remote S different from using the Tesla app? When the dogs are in my X alone, I usually keep the Tesla app open to CLIMATE and turn on the air (and monitor continually).

Reactions: thegruf
How is Remote S different from using the Tesla app? When the dogs are in my X alone, I usually keep the Tesla app open to CLIMATE and turn on the air (and monitor continually).
That's a good point. But isn't that an update to the Tesla app? As I recall, its not always done that. It would go off.
A couple of friends here use the Remote S. They tell me, that that leaving it on the Camp screen allows the app to start over after the 30 minute window stops it. It restarts the A/C without intervention - just leave the app running on that screen.
Tesla Plus reports in his description that the A/C can remain on for hours. I think he said 12 hours if needed. I played with it a few minutes then deleted it. I can't afford the monthly subscription rate over years, considering I can live without its features.