Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to listen to AM radio stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TuneIn is the way to go. You might not find your actual favorite AM station itself, but if there's a particular syndicated or otherwise simulcast show you like there may be another radio station on TuneIn that carries it, or there may be a podcast of the show on TuneIn.

I really can't believe that they deleted AM. Read somewhere that FM is next. Broadcasters are required by law to transmit their content over the air for free. How else can you get local weather, news, and sports (my Uncle used to own an AM &FM radio station). Support your local advertisers!

TV broadcasters are also required to provide free over the air signals even though a vast majority of viewers receive their content via cable or satellite. Again, support your local advertisers!

if it's not available on tunein, you can get yourself an echo auto and hide it in the center console...when you want AM, just change input to phone and ask her to play whatever station you want. i can't imagine there are many left that don't have live streaming available...

I didn't know AM was still a thing.

"FM - No Static At All" - S. Dan

there was an old CD ripping faq, back when CD audio ripping was a thing. an open source program (cdparanoia it was called, lol) had an FAQ and one of the q/a's was something like:

"Q: my extracted audio sounds aweful! what's wrong?"
"A: maybe you are listening to country music?"

(grin)

Side note... I had a loaner S a few weeks ago, a 2014 with 49k miles on it, and it had an AM radio. The AM worked okay until the signal got weak, and then the motor/inverter interference became pretty significant.

Were it were my choice, I probably would have left the AM in place with a statement that the reception might suck. But then again, if it cost $10 a car for a feature very few would use, I'm cool with losing it.

Don't have a Tesla yet. But from what I understand iHeartRadio and TuneIn are two ways to play AM stations (streaming) on a Tesla. However:

iHeartRadio is $5.99 a month
TuneIn looks to be $14.99 a month

TuneIn appears to be a built in app on the Tesla. Would I have to pay $14.99 a month to use it on my Tesla?

Is that why lots of people are recommending Amazon Echos for the car? Can use TuneIn for free?

Don't have a Tesla yet. But from what I understand iHeartRadio and TuneIn are two ways to play AM stations (streaming) on a Tesla. However:

iHeartRadio is $5.99 a month
TuneIn looks to be $14.99 a month

TuneIn appears to be a built in app on the Tesla. Would I have to pay $14.99 a month to use it on my Tesla?

Is that why lots of people are recommending Amazon Echos for the car? Can use TuneIn for free?

Tunein is free. Just have to listen to ads in the beginning