Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to lock up your private charger in a condo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone. We have moved into a new condo that has parking stalls pre-wired for EV charging station installation. These parking stalls were designed to be connected to our own meter. My plan is to install a Tesla wall charger. My question is " is there away to setup the charger that others cannot use my private charging station?" Anyone have any ideas as to how to lock up the charger or the cable?

Are you handy?
I would buy or build a metal box larger than the HPWC handle and lock the handle it that when not in use?
You may need to cut a groove in the bottom to slide the cord into.
Do you have the original wall charger with the "1 mile" cord or the newer one?
Haven't got the charger yet. Will be purchasing the 20' cord charger . Not handy, but could get a friend to built one. Thank you for the idea.

Get a short (foot long ish) chain and secure to the wall (bolts). Other end attach a combination/key lock with the ring big enough wrap the charging cable. This holds the cable to the wall which is good but stops people using it. Or even more simple - attach an eye bolt ( a ring) to the wall and then get a lock big enough to pass through the eye bolt and the cable.

You will need a disconnect to be installed anyway, so have one that is lockable installed.
halex-electrical-disconnects-hnf60r-64_400_compressed.jpg

How about just waiting to see what kind of people your neighbors are...?If it’s assigned parking, it’s pretty unlikely that you’re going to have another tesla owner snake your juice.

Next deterrent would be an orange cone...

Finally, if you’re really that worried, just install a nema 14-50 and use the mobile charger.

Reactions: APotatoGod
How about just waiting to see what kind of people your neighbors are...?If it’s assigned parking, it’s pretty unlikely that you’re going to have another tesla owner snake your juice.

Next deterrent would be an orange cone...

Finally, if you’re really that worried, just install a nema 14-50 and use the mobile charger.

Rather complicated to explain in text. There are 2 existing charge stations for residents to use. Strata council have decided they don't want to mange the station so they have disconnected the stations. We are now responsible for own station. There are people here that have no courtesy here. Since we have to get an approved trade in to do the work, I am thinking to just do it right one time. Thinking of using the utility box. I dont think we are allowed to put cones on the stall.

• Informative
Reactions: bxr140
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: z168 and BerTX