Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to look up your own referral code [referral program has ended]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know how to figure out your own referral code if the app is not giving you access to the Settings gear icon?

My friend has ordered a Model 3, but it hasn't come in yet. He has a Tesla account and has purchased a wall connector. When he logs into his app, he sees a picture of the car he ordered and two buttons: "Watch Video Guide" and "Get Support".

If he watches videos, he never gets to a point where he can see the gear. The support button sends him to the Tesla web page.

I am about to purchase a Model 3 and I want to use his referral link. I have a Tesla account and have purchased a wall connector. When I go into the app, there is just a Tesla logo and then the Settings gear at the top left. I can go into the Loot Box from there and send a referral link from there. So I know you can have a code before you receive the car.

So, the question is, how do we get our hands on the few characters necessary to put on the end of the URL so I can order my car and give us both the Supercharger bonus?

Thanks!

I have a referral code I can share and I haven't yet put down my deposit. Maybe you simply can't access the code when you're in limbo and the car hasn't arrived yet.

What's been annoying is how baffled everyone at Tesla is. Pulling a few characters out of a database shouldn't be difficult, but the employees I've talked to have all confidently stated that they'd get me the code in no time and quite a long time later, they eventually give up.

I know it's not that important in the grand scheme of things, but it doesn't give me confidence that they'll be able to figure out what to do if there's another administrative issue, and it's a pretty bad first (or second) impression.

I ended the afternoon cranky and frustrated. First World Problem, surely. I'll get over it. But it's still pretty bad customer service.

Dont have a loot box, just t

the app shows the carr my first name and welcome to tesla family and 2 buttons one for watch video guides and the other to get support website. thats it. not even the order number or delivery date or details of the order.

Dont have a loot box, just t

the app shows the carr my first name and welcome to tesla family and 2 buttons one for watch video guides and the other to get support website. thats it. not even the order number or delivery date or details of the order.
This is what my SA said once your friend gets his car, assuming he gets it before you, he can give you the referral code. It can be added to your account after ordering anytime before you take delivery just let your SA know.

Then once you get your car you both will get the 1000 supercharger miles. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Hebert
jaz4uk1 describes the status of my friend's app precisely. Two buttons, no way to access the loot box. At least I recorded my code for now, so I will have it if I need it before my car arrives.

The guy at the Tesla place also told me that as long as I get his code BEFORE I receive my car, he can add the code to my account. If it doesn't happen before I get my car, then he won't be able to do it. Maybe that accounts for the issues people have run into?

At any rate, after doing a little reading on this site, it seems that even when you do everything right and purchase the car using a referral link, it doesn't always work. You can either call and they will fix it right away and be done with it, or it won't work for some reason and you can rage against the machine all you want, but all it will do is raise your blood pressure.

So, give it a try later, and if it doesn't work, it's not worth stressing over. It's not worth waiting to make the purchase and losing your place in the queue.

"Learned helplessness" is a terrible customer service policy, but it's the best way to maintain your sanity, even if it is "the principle of the thing".

Sucks, but we have to accept some aspects of Tesla suck, and given that they can't even meet demand right now, there's not a lot of motivation for them to fix their self-imposed stupid behavior.

I was super angry yesterday, only because interacting with the Tesla people was so frustrating, but after cooling off, I realize it's not worth it.

Think of your guaranteed benefit as a possible random treat.

As everyone has mysteriously started saying over the past few years, "it is what it is".

At any rate, after doing a little reading on this site, it seems that even when you do everything right and purchase the car using a referral link, it doesn't always work. You can either call and they will fix it right away and be done with it, or it won't work for some reason and you can rage against the machine all you want, but all it will do is raise your blood pressure.

This is a pretty accurate description of what I have seen around the topic of referral codes, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.