Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make a Tesla "Box" that Model 3 will use as a garage (auto part)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello friends,

I would like to make a Tesla Box (or call it a small garage if you like). It is for a 2022 Model 3. The question, what do I need to do in the box construction to help my Tesla auto park and auto summon? I would like to make the box as small as possible. I can use paint and other things as needed to help the Tesla fine and trust its new home....

Right, I am over here in Klagenfurt Austria, so no porblems there... the point it this: when I disable the "hold and summon feature", then I double click the right indicator, no foot on the brake, and I see the dialogue to self park, and I click the forwards button, I want to be sure that my tesla will drive into its box. So does any one have any tips on how to make the box look, so Tesla will like it (very much) and always drive in with pleasure, and always summon (back out) with equal glee?

For example.... starting with dimenions, how about 50 CM extra left, right, up, and in front? So based on this, Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla, the Tesla box would be 5 Meters long, 2 1/2 Meters wide, and 2 meters tall. Works? If yes, anything I can do to help Telsa 3 2022 find its box entrance? So if I am facing the box entrance, but say 50 CM offset to the left, would painting stripes help it to find the box entrance?

The OPs goals here are not realistic, because it requires 100% success for summon and autopark, and that will never happen, so you cant "make a box as small as possible" and plan on summon / autopark always working.

This is a complete, 100% dead end.

Maybe something like this, it'll give you a huge amount of interior space ...

1641759497723.png

Maybe something like this, it'll give you a huge amount of interior space ...

View attachment 753862
)))))))))))))) good one. All great points, thanks!!! So I will go with car port with white lines like a parking spot and experiment with line placement. Sound good? Or more effective question in forum, anything else that I should consider (e.g. which the white lines might not work at all)?

Just keep in mind it judges distance with ultrasonic waves aka proximity sensors. For ex...

Hello friends,

I would like to make a Tesla Box (or call it a small garage if you like). It is for a 2022 Model 3. The question, what do I need to do in the box construction to help my Tesla auto park and auto summon? I would like to make the box as small as possible. I can use paint and other things as needed to help the Tesla fine and trust its new home....
I'm not sure what you're really trying to accomplish here...

)))))))))))))) good one. All great points, thanks!!! So I will go with car port with white lines like a parking spot and experiment with line placement. Sound good? Or more effective question in forum, anything else that I should consider (e.g. which the white lines might not work at all)?
I've not seen any software updates mention any summon improvements for quite some time
it may still be using ultrasonic detection/cameras and unable to see painted lines
Autopark was recently updated to detect painted lines for parking spaces
as far as I'm aware you have to be in the car to use Autopark

Good luck with your experiments

Very interesting, thank you ecoli..... ....another key comment here, back to the "Tesla Box" idea.... key comment was the question, "what do you do if the Tesla does not come out of the box?".... ...a couple ideas here, first positive idea, if the car is 100% in and does not move, and the solution requires sitting in the car, the box could have an emergency hatch which alows access to the driver side door (definately a crap situation on mars -- but merginally better here on earth)... And a negative idea, if the car is half out of the box and requires a driver.... bad situation.

So back to car port and lines.... another good point about summoning not using lines.... I know this general subject from my Robot lawnmower.... I always felt a bit bad about its reliance on burried wire emitting a radio signal. But now, with the Tesla, I wish that the company Tesla would consider the crawl, walk run, paradigm and get the "white lines" idea right first (crawl) then sensors (walk) then vision (run). I can see that they are already doing this.... Anyway, I will start with some rigid plastic material for the "white lines" so I can experiment.... What I need to do is attach a photo to make clear my particular challenge. I would like the Tesla to part itself and summon from the corner to the right in the photo. I would like it to park in the corner, front against the flying buttress, right of car tight along wall. That first structure on the right is a charging station that I use for my KIA Soul EV 2016 (177 KM range in summer, 105 KM in winter, but great car, seat cooling at well as heating in front, seat heating in back, lots of great features, fun to drive). Please let me know your design ideas...... New Tesla 3 seems to park fine in a garage. How can I get that feature to work in this case? (photo coming just now...)

I too am thinking of a making a box for a Model 3. Why waste an enormous inside space, easily convertible to an Accessory Dwelling Unit for overnight storage of a vehicle which is designed to exist outdoors, right? My viewing of a few YouTube videos indicates that the white line are not the best way to show the tesla that the wall is an obstacle. I'm thinking the end wall should be white with a full size picture of the front of another car on it. The tesla seems to detect adjacent walls/vehicles very well in this video

There is also this design to draw inspiration from. www.gazebox.it

In fact, the side walls could also be white with full size posters of the side of a vehicle on it. The tesla might think it is in a parking lot and try to center itself between the two "vehicles" and avoid hitting the one in front. Overheating and solar degradation are the main outside elements to protect against here in Southern California. An ISO shipping container would be ok, but it gets too hot, about 130F inside during summer. A simple but sturdy shade structure (snow bearing roof in your case) with shade cloth printed with those vehicle images mentioned above might be a good economical solution with plenty of ventilation. In your case, access to the front of the "box" could be had by walking through the house to the back yard :)