Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make Cruise control "stupid"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It not about disobeying the law. It about operating the vehicle in a safe manner. Having a car jam on the brakes and impede traffic is dangerous to me, my passenger and people around me.

It's a shame I did find this out in the first 7 days of ownership as I would of returned it. It's also a shame that all those YouTubers didn't mention it as some else could of had my car.

I guess I'll be driving a very expensive car for the next ten years without cruise control for everyone safety.
I’m starting to to think the new m3 I have on order - has terrible cruise control that’s included with the car - and a blind spot mirror system that seems an afterthought- instead of a standard mirror sensor - it could even light up like a Tesla logo - is mr musk the world richest man and now the biggest “bully” - ag

I am a new owner of my 2022 model 3. Up to now I have mixed feelings about my purchase.

Tonight I had an unsafe experience using only the cruise control. Coming back from the in laws I had my cruise control set (without lane keep assist) and the speed limit changed from a 90km/h to a 60 km/h and the car slammed on the brakes. The car following me thought I was a moron, including my wife. I have been driving this section or road for 12 years and I have never seen anyone follow the speed limit in this section.

My question is: what are the correct setting to have the cruise control follow my set speed no matter the bad data in Tesla's database or what signs says? I want a simple "old school" cruise control.

Thanks in advance for the information.
When I look at this forum it seems new owners have the most complaints about their car and it’s technology. I don’t want to dismiss your concern, but let me suggest you give it some time. You will learn what it can, and cannot, do for you on your drive, and it settles in, as well. Tesla didn’t set up the speed limits; I believe it’s Google map data.

The complaints I had at 1st totally went away and never recurred. In my opinion, there are many more positives than negatives. I’m sure you can easily sell your new M3, but that would be unfortunate (for you).

I use autopilot frequently. I recognize road markings that confuse it and disengage it when I see them. I don’t use it if visibility is poor or roads are wet or icy. I participate when I’m in autopilot and use it as another set of eyes (with quicker reflexes).

Peace!

Seems by your question the car actually Did follow the law and reduce speed as posted but you want it to disobey the law because “you’ve never seen anyone obey that law/speed”. So the answer would be no and it shouldn’t.
The question isn't about following the law, it's about how it followed the law. I'd also note that the law states that you need to slow down before the reduced speed limit sign, not start slowing down at the sign.
There have been hundreds of threads in these forums about phantom braking, and it’s been widely covered in media outlets that cover Tesla. If you don’t do your homework, prepare to be disappointed.
and that's a pretty piss poor response. No one should be 'disappointed' by features that don't perform as advertised because they didn't bother to go reading a bunch of forum threads before they purchased.
I’m on 8.2 and my last 1640 mi round trip I had zero phantom brakes. Tesla may have solved this problem. If you do your homework, you will find several makes with this problem currently. NTSHA is investigating some other companies - not Tesla. Not to say they won’t open a ticket on Tesla tomorrow. Seems to be a general problem with the state of software.
Phantom braking is still an issue but this is something different. The car braked for a very identifiable and appropriate reason, it was the rate of deceleration that is the issue.
When I look at this forum it seems new owners have the most complaints about their car and it’s technology.
maybe that says something...

I am a new owner of my 2022 model 3. Up to now I have mixed feelings about my purchase.

Tonight I had an unsafe experience using only the cruise control. Coming back from the in laws I had my cruise control set (without lane keep assist) and the speed limit changed from a 90km/h to a 60 km/h and the car slammed on the brakes. The car following me thought I was a moron, including my wife. I have been driving this section or road for 12 years and I have never seen anyone follow the speed limit in this section.

My question is: what are the correct setting to have the cruise control follow my set speed no matter the bad data in Tesla's database or what signs says? I want a simple "old school" cruise control.

Short answer to your question is no. Many have asked but there is no option for 'dumb' cruise control.

In general, I have the reverse problem - when using autopilot or FSDb it takes far too long to slow down. TACC does brake more aggressively but I've never had it brake hard than what I would consider appropriate. Has your car done this in other locations? have you driven the same route again to see if the behavior is reproducible?

I am reticent to try cruise control but I really want it. I talked with a 3 year Tesla owner at a supercharger and he said to use it but don't set it to read the speed limit. I looked in the owners manual and I think this is what he was referring to.
1657377398147.png

Reactions: OxBrew
I am reticent to try cruise control but I really want it. I talked with a 3 year Tesla owner at a supercharger and he said to use it but don't set it to read the speed limit. I looked in the owners manual and I think this is what he was referring to. View attachment 826625
Exactly. I've always had mine set to Current Speed, and with recent updates in the last few months, it performs really well. No unexpected slow downs at all (as long as you expect them for serious mirage reflections, really bad rough pavement (like ground surfaces in construction zones), and crests of long shallow hills (just minor slow downs then, sometimes).

In Speed Limit mode, I lasted about 5 minutes, hit an error on the speed (thought it was 45 on a 70 freeway), and switched it to Current Speed.

Speed Limit Mode should be deleted from the options, IMO, until they can make it right like 999/1000 times. Right now it's really bad.

I would not hesitate to use cruise control (TACC) or AP, set on Current Speed.

Seems by your question the car actually Did follow the law and reduce speed as posted but you want it to disobey the law because “you’ve never seen anyone obey that law/speed”. So the answer would be no and it shouldn’t.
I think that what he wants is a car that do not act total stupid.
A normal working car would slowly ease of the speed maybe starting 200m before the speed sign, so that when you reach the sign you obey the law.
To slam the brakes at the sign is just outrageous bad engineering and dangerous.

I think that what he wants is a car that do not act total stupid.
A normal working car would slowly ease of the speed maybe starting 200m before the speed sign, so that when you reach the sign you obey the law.
To slam the brakes at the sign is just outrageous bad engineering and dangerous.
Hopefully they will dial this in with future versions. Though it only works for negative speed changes. If you're in a 50MPH zone and the upcoming sign is 40MPH, then by all means slow down before the sign. But if you're in a 40MPH zone and the sign coming up is 50MPH, you can't speed up to 50MPH before the sign or you're speeding in the 40MPH zone.

Reactions: sleepydoc