Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make my ac cooler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have the glass roof then you are basically sitting in a green house. Shade is key if you are parked.

Most a/c shops can check the pressure but your computer will let you know if there is a problem because the battery bank relies on the cooling system heavily during summer.

I've noticed my car seems to radiate heat tremendously after the sun has baked it for a short time.

If you can't get the car to cool down in the morning then you know there's a problem.

Upvote 0
If you have the glass roof then you are basically sitting in a green house. Shade is key if you are parked.

Most a/c shops can check the pressure but your computer will let you know if there is a problem because the battery bank relies on the cooling system heavily during summer.

I've noticed my car seems to radiate heat tremendously after the sun has baked it for a short time.

If you can't get the car to cool down in the morning then you know there's a problem.
Yeah i have a glass roof, but the other day went in my friends model 3 and the ac was just way better and stronger. We both have glass roofs

Upvote 0
I see, is it possible to add more cold ac to it though? Or to check how much it has like regular cars?

Our AC system works just like any other. You can check and add refrigerant, or have a service station do it for you.

I’d advise to use the free online service manual as a reference, though, to make sure you add refrigerant to the right line.

Reactions: Sanderpman12
Upvote 0
Our AC system works just like any other. You can check and add refrigerant, or have a service station do it for you.

I’d advise to use the free online service manual as a reference, though, to make sure you add refrigerant to the right line.
You shouldn't ever have to add refrigerant to an AC system. If your refrigerant is low, then either it wasn't ever charged properly to begin with, or you have a leak. If you do have a leak, then don't waste money on adding refrigerant unless you've already identified and fixed the leak.

Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0
Sure it is, if you do your research (as with all things).

Especially if all you’re doing is checking refrigerant level/pressure and adding to the high line if needed.

The only way refrigerant gets low is if you have a leak. If you have a leak it needs to be identified and fixed, and unless you’re really lucky that generally means evacuating the system by recovering the refrigerant, performing the repair, then drawing a vacuum before recharging to the correct pressure and with the correct amount of non-conductive oil.

Doing it right means a lot of specialized equipment. I’m 100% for DIY and do as much maintenance as I can myself but I happily farm out the AC work. It’s just not worth trying to save a few bucks.

Upvote 0
The only way refrigerant gets low is if you have a leak. If you have a leak it needs to be identified and fixed, and unless you’re really lucky that generally means evacuating the system by recovering the refrigerant, performing the repair, then drawing a vacuum before recharging to the correct pressure and with the correct amount of non-conductive oil.

Doing it right means a lot of specialized equipment. I’m 100% for DIY and do as much maintenance as I can myself but I happily farm out the AC work. It’s just not worth trying to save a few bucks.

Totally agree. But as a “get me through the rest of the summer” fix, you can DIY it. Hell, my old Tacoma had a leak so slow a can of refrigerant lasted me 4 years.

Reactions: geordi
Upvote 0