Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make my phone key work model y, new iphone 13

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a new phone a few weeks ago and am struggling to make tesla model Y work with it (worked with old iphone 10 just great). Its an iphone 13, I dowloaded app, its clearly connected to my car since i can play music and see charge and lock it . But the phone key part isnt working- I have had to use my manual key since getting the new phone. I have tried everything- any ideas?

Thank you!

Playing music has nothing to do with being connected to the car as a phone key. There are two different pairing actions that need to take place, one for the phone to play music, and a different separate workflow to pair the phone as a key.

Go back through the workflow and pair it as a key. Here is the tesla online manual, with a paste of the relevant section:

====================================

Phone Key​

Using your phone as a key is a convenient way to access your Model 3. As you approach, your phone's Bluetooth signal is detected and doors unlock when you press a door handle. Likewise, when you exit and walk away with the phone key, doors automatically lock (provided the Walk-Away Door Lock feature is turned on; see Walk-Away Door Lock).
Before you can use a phone to access Model 3, follow these steps to authenticate it:
  1. Download the Tesla mobile app to your phone.
  2. Log into the Tesla mobile app using your Tesla account user name and password.
    Note
    You must remain logged in to your Tesla account to use your phone to access Model 3.
  3. Ensure that your phone's Bluetooth settings are turned on. Also ensure that Bluetooth is turned on within your phone's global settings for the Tesla mobile app. For example, on your phone, navigate to Settings, choose the Tesla mobile app, and ensure the Bluetooth setting is enabled.
    Note
    Model 3 communicates with your phone using Bluetooth. Keep in mind that your phone must have enough battery power to run Bluetooth and that many phones disable Bluetooth when the battery is low.
  4. Ensure access to your location is enabled by viewing the Tesla mobile app in your phone's settings and selecting Location > Always. For the best experience, keep the mobile app running in the background.
  5. On the touchscreen, ensure that Allow Mobile Access is enabled (Controls > Safety > Allow Mobile Access).
  6. While inside Model 3 with a key card handy, open the Tesla mobile app and follow the prompts to set up a phone key.
To view a list of keys that can currently access Model 3, or to remove a phone key, touch Controls > Locks (see Managing Keys).
Model 3 can connect to three phone keys simultaneously. Therefore, if more than three phone keys are detected and you want to authenticate or pair a different phone, move the other connected phone key(s) out of range or turn off its Bluetooth setting.
Note
If multiple vehicles are linked to your Tesla account, you must ensure that the vehicle you want the mobile app to access is currently selected on the mobile app.
Once a phone has been authenticated, it no longer requires an internet connection to be used as a phone key for Model 3. However, to use the phone hands-free, access your phone's contacts, play media from it, etc., you must also pair it and connect it as a Bluetooth device (see Pairing a Bluetooth Phone).

=====================================
(managing keys link above)

To display a list of all keys (phone keys, key cards, and key fobs) that can access your Model 3, touch Controls > Locks. An icon displays next to each key to indicate whether the key is a phone key, key card, or key fob. Use this list to manage keys that have access to your Model 3. To add or delete keys, see Adding and Removing Keys.
Model 3 supports up to 19 keys. When you reach this limit, you must delete a key before adding a new one.
Note
You can use the same key for more than one Model 3. This prevents you from having to deal with multiple keys when you switch vehicles. If you customize the name of an authenticated key card or key fob on one Model 3 (by touching the pencil icon), any other Model 3 to which the key card or key fob is authenticated also displays the changed name.

Adding and Removing Keys​

To add a new key card or key fob:
Note
When adding a key fob, ensure it is at room temperature. Pairing a key fob that is very cold can be unsuccessful.
  1. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Locks then touch + in the Keys section.
  2. Scan your new key card or key fob on the card reader located behind the cup holders on the top of the center console. After the new key card or key fob is recognized, remove it from the card reader.Key card scanned on card reader
  3. Scan a key card or key fob that has already been paired to the vehicle to confirm new key pairing.
  4. When complete, the key list includes the new key. Touch the associated pencil icon to customize the name of the key.
To add a new phone key:
Note
You must enable Bluetooth on the phone and have the Tesla mobile app installed and connected to your Tesla account.
  1. While sitting in Model 3, open the Tesla mobile app (if you have multiple Tesla vehicles, select the appropriate vehicle), then touch Phone Key > Start.
  2. Scan an authenticated key card or key fob on the card reader located behind the cup holders on the top of the center console (see Key Card).
  3. When the mobile app notifies you that pairing was successful, touch Done. The key list on the touchscreen (touch Controls > Locks) includes the newly authenticated phone key. The name of the phone key is determined by the name used in the phone’s settings.
Removing a key:
When you no longer want a key to access Model 3 (for example, you lost your phone or key card, etc.), follow these steps to remove it.
  1. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Locks.
  2. In the key list, find the key that you would like to delete and touch its associated trash icon.
  3. When prompted, scan an authenticated key card or key fob on the card reader to confirm the deletion. When complete, the key list no longer includes the deleted key.
Note
Model 3 requires at least one authenticated key card or key fob at all times. If only one key card remains on the key list, you cannot delete it.

Upvote 0
JJRANDORIN is correct. Simply put, you're paired via bluetooth to your phone but it isn't set up as a key.

When you open the Tesla app on your phone, down by "security" it should have the option to set the phone up as a key. Then it is as simple as following the instructions on the phone's screen as well as the car's screen.

Upvote 0
Assume that my model Y would work the same way. Keycard "swipe" is (now) always unsuccessful.
Problem is that although my iphone & keycard show in the locks list, they do not work. The option to set up phone shows by the security tab on the Tesla App but it fails since it will not recognize the keycard. Cannot remove keycard nor iphone from list (because of failure of keycard scan not being recognized). I can manually unlock by Tesla app & only start by the "remote star" button.
My 2021 tesla Y had worked well since June: this failure is in the past month.

Upvote 0
Same problem here. Worked great with iPhone X. After upgrading to iPhone 13 Pro, the phone key works maybe 5% of the time. We’re you able to find a solution?
Same issue when upgrading iPhone from X to 13 mini and kept the same name on the iPhone. I renamed the new 13 mini and went through the setup process again. Worked great - no issues. Hope you find a solution, just sharing my experience. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I have annoying problem with phone key (Iphone 12 pro). I must have eye contact with phone (face id) to phone unlock car (Model Y). My wife has iphone 12 and phone key works just as expected, that is, having phone with her when opening doors.

It's small thing but not when having all grocesieres and bags and stuff and then need to get phone and give angry face to it.

Upvote 0
I was able to solve this problem after an iPhone upgrade (8 plus to 14 plus with restore from iCloud). There are probably a couple of extra steps in here.

First I removed my old phone from the car’s Bluetooth menu and added the new one.

Then I renamed my phone (Settings - General - About - Name)

Then I deleted the Tesla app. I was in the car with the car on, and key card in place to drive.

Reinstall from the App Store, log in. NOW the app prompts me to set up a phone key. And it works! Yay

Upvote 0