Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make plaid accelerate faster ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple comments.

I loved the insight on the traction control temporary effect on the torque limit. I still believe there is a fixed torque limit rather than a torque curve. The fixed torque means that there would be lots of area around the ideal torque curve to eek out micro performance. I would love to be wrong on this.

For a while you will still be able to measure all the performance variables going across the CANBus: torque, power, heat, wheel spin, etc. You can use off the shelf hardware like the ODBLink MX+ but it requires the folks that build the apps to read the data stream (like Scan My Tesla) to keep the DBC current. Tesla changes the CANBus packet IDs on occasion so it is a labor of love to keep the DBC managing different generations of firmware.

The future will be harder since, commensurate with the switch to 48v, CANBus is getting replaced with Ethernet. Consequently we will need some cutting edge new hardware and software tools.

In this future, It is possible that the performance crown will go to some hacker cryptographer: someone that can increase the fixed torque limit, the battery power limit, and the individual motor and inverter limits by a few percentage points. Combined with stickier tires and a well prepped track surface, this would result in an older parts apocalypse: rapid consumption used parts for the older cars as those higher limits are pushed.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can bolt a Turbonoque to your front/rear axel and own the drag strip.

Reactions: Sam1
You can bolt a Turbonoque to your front/rear axel and own the drag strip.
Why have I never seen this before? That's awesome!

A couple comments.

I loved the insight on the traction control temporary effect on the torque limit. I still believe there is a fixed torque limit rather than a torque curve. The fixed torque means that there would be lots of area around the ideal torque curve to eek out micro performance. I would love to be wrong on this.

For a while you will still be able to measure all the performance variables going across the CANBus: torque, power, heat, wheel spin, etc. You can use off the shelf hardware like the ODBLink MX+ but it requires the folks that build the apps to read the data stream (like Scan My Tesla) to keep the DBC current. Tesla changes the CANBus packet IDs on occasion so it is a labor of love to keep the DBC managing different generations of firmware.

The future will be harder since, commensurate with the switch to 48v, CANBus is getting replaced with Ethernet. Consequently we will need some cutting edge new hardware and software tools.

In this future, It is possible that the performance crown will go to some hacker cryptographer: someone that can increase the fixed torque limit, the battery power limit, and the individual motor and inverter limits by a few percentage points. Combined with stickier tires and a well prepped track surface, this would result in an older parts apocalypse: rapid consumption used parts for the older cars as those higher limits are pushed.
PerfectPowerCurveSharp.jpg

On the P85 since there was no issue with traction, you can see that the beginning of the hp vs speed is dead straight, implying constant torque. The P100D's torque increases from its initial value. You can see this because the slope of the hp vs speed curve gets steeper with speed. The Raven's torque starts out higher than the P100D but decreases as speed increases. Finally, the Plaid is back to a constant torque at the beginning of the curve. Apparently, they felt the extra horsepower from 40 mph to 60 mph meant they didn't have to eek out every last drop of torque for a good zero to sixty. The initial torque for the Plaid is less than that of the Raven, but the Plaid is about 200 lbs lighter, so has less traction. The torque for the Plaid is still pre-programmed. It just happens to be a constant torque that's near the traction limit. If a large amount of weight is removed, a pre-programmed constant, smaller torque would be better, until the torque from the combination of hp and speed is below the traction limit. Of course, you could do better if the torque curve were optimized for the lower weight.

I've added straight green lines to the plots so that the curvature, or lake thereof, is easier to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Krash