Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make the Navigation more accurate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks. I love the layout of our navigation, but the accuracy has a lot to be desired. My navigation doesn’t recognize some main roads, particularly when they go under a highway overpass, and makes it nearly impossible for the system to route in the most direct and efficient manner. This example is specifically related to my apartment complex which is right off of a main road and run right under a main highway. In order for me to go on the highway in which my apartment complex is right off of its service road, my car starts to navigation from another road that is several hundred feet away and not part of my apartment complex, which then routes a long roundabout way to get onto the highway, instead of the most simple and direct route out of my apartment complex, to the right, and under the highway overpass. Obviously, I live here and I know exactly where to go, but it’s frustrating and makes me not want to trust the navigation when I am in an area I’m not familiar with.

Does anybody know of a way to make our navigation more accurate and identify roads, or parts of roads, that it is not currently recognizing? It seems to recognize my car’s GPS with no problems.

I believe if you edit the incorrect data at Openstreetmap, it will eventually filter through to the map in your car. Tesla uses the data from Openstreetmap in creating its own maps. This may solve part of the problem you identified ("identify roads, or part of roads, that it is not currently recognizing"). See the wiki for how to contribute, edit, etc.

However, this will of course not necessarily address the 'navigation logic' issue you raise (unless perhaps the local maps don't have accurate data?)/

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and KenC
I believe if you edit the incorrect data at Openstreetmap, it will eventually filter through to the map in your car. Tesla uses the data from Openstreetmap in creating its own maps. This may solve part of the problem you identified ("identify roads, or part of roads, that it is not currently recognizing"). See the wiki for how to contribute, edit, etc.

However, this will of course not necessarily address the 'navigation logic' issue you raise (unless perhaps the local maps don't have accurate data?)/
Is that true for regular roads? I thought it was just for parking, and useful for correcting data used by SmartSummon.

Reactions: drtimhill
Is that true for regular roads? I thought it was just for parking, and useful for correcting data used by SmartSummon.

Thats the instance of using openstreet maps that I am aware of, but I dont know if the nav uses it for anything else. It could, though. Its something the OP could try even if we dont know for sure it would help.

Google maps is only used for displaying on the MCU for you to look at, the car doesn't use Google Maps for navigation or anything else.
So, where is Tesla getting the data it uses? In my area, there's a short stretch of road, where the speed limit drops to 15mph, from 40mph. There's a spurious 15mph sign that someone stuck up in front of their house, and presumably, some mapping company has picked up that sign automatically, though it's clearly false. I'd like to report it to have it corrected, but have no idea how to do that.

So, where is Tesla getting the data it uses? In my area, there's a short stretch of road, where the speed limit drops to 15mph, from 40mph. There's a spurious 15mph sign that someone stuck up in front of their house, and presumably, some mapping company has picked up that sign automatically, though it's clearly false. I'd like to report it to have it corrected, but have no idea how to do that.

There has been a rumor that Tesla uses TomTom for one of their sources of speed limit data.

• Informative
Reactions: Super Slim and KenC