Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make the paint *Shine*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a red Y coming to replace my 3 I sold, and I'm interested in making the Y's paint look *awesome*. My 3's factory paint looked very good but even an amateur like me could see some orange peel and the finish had no "depth"(?). I've started noticing that it's possible for cars to look like the one below, and even much better - almost wet. How is this magic wizardry achieved? Is it possible without huge $$ and continual up-keep?

PrettyRedCar.png

I have a red Y coming to replace my 3 I sold, and I'm interested in making the Y's paint look *awesome*. My 3's factory paint looked very good but even an amateur like me could see some orange peel and the finish had no "depth"(?). I've started noticing that it's possible for cars to look like the one below, and even much better - almost wet. How is this magic wizardry achieved? Is it possible without huge $$ and continual up-keep?

View attachment 692394
Like this perhaps? C Quartz Finest applied by a professional 2 years ago and hand washing since.

Attachments

• 1BBA9255-920F-494C-B3E0-1AB357DC1A20.jpeg
    1BBA9255-920F-494C-B3E0-1AB357DC1A20.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 147
Thanks @blc1017 (beautiful S, BTW) and @DSoloie. Those products look very helpful. Will they resolve orange peel or does that need something more aggressive like "cut and buff", whatever that is...?
I don't think a ceramic product on its own will correct orange peel. The reason for having a professional do it for me was to have paint correction done first, which would take care of imperfections and is several hours of labor. As you can see, however, the initial effort lasts a long time with proper care (hand washing properly).

It's possible to correct orange peel with a medium polish but in most cases you'll need to wetsand to get the desired result. It's not an easy or quick fix to remedy orange peel. Another approach is you could ppf the entire car. The orange peel will still be there but the ppf will conceal it. In my humble opinion, it's not worth the trouble.

To my completely untrained eye, the finish on cars like the picture above seems more than just very flat and shiny. In addition to the mirror like surface, the color changes gradually with the curved surface of the car. Is that all just from resolving orange peel and applying polish / sealant, or is there something more being done to cars like that?

To my completely untrained eye, the finish on cars like the picture above seems more than just very flat and shiny. In addition to the mirror like surface, the color changes gradually with the curved surface of the car. Is that all just from resolving orange peel and applying polish / sealant, or is there something more being done to cars like that?

On the Mazda dark red and dark blue colors, it is definitely the factory paint that gives it that depth. If the Tesla red looked anything like the Mazda red that would have been our first choice color. The Mazda red appears to be a darker red over a lighter base, giving it the depth and varying colors depending on the angle of the light.

On my blue Tesla in the photo above it had paint correction, PPF, and CQuartz. This is otherwise the factory paint. I agree with another payer that PPF will hide a lot of imperfections. It has been worth it to me to protect the finish and I’ll do the same on the MYLR we have on order.

Reactions: boulder.dude
I hand wash my car, dry it, then spray a coat of CarPro Reload. This lasts me 5-6 car washes before needing to re-apply it again.
Recently, I bought a bottle of “Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro Graphene Infused to the Max Wax” (liquid not paste). Super glossy. Lasts for a bit, too.

i’m too cheap to pay for ceramic coating, so I don’t mind a little more work to my carwash every other month.

Reactions: boulder.dude
I hand wash my car, dry it, then spray a coat of CarPro Reload. This lasts me 5-6 car washes before needing to re-apply it again.
Recently, I bought a bottle of “Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro Graphene Infused to the Max Wax” (liquid not paste). Super glossy. Lasts for a bit, too.

i’m too cheap to pay for ceramic coating, so I don’t mind a little more work to my carwash every other month.
You should look into doing the ceramic coating yourself. I just finished applying gtechniq on my Blue Y and it was pretty easy to apply.