Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make time efficient long trips

Most time efficient charging pattern on long trips

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am wondering, if anyone ever tested this scenarions: what is the most time efficient way on long trips ? Short but frequent charging or longer but fewer charging sessions? Considering the time loss due to leaving the highway and reenterig, I am not so confident which pattern is the best.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Algo

The only exception to the short stops is better is if you have something else you need or want to do during the stop.

Ie, Tucson to Las Vegas - Model X 90d. Last summer (pre-pandemic)

Leaving Tucson with a solid (near full) charge, went to the north phoenix supercharger, and charged almost an hour during a nice lunch, charging time was mostly determined by lunch, not amount of charge.

Hopped to Wickenburg, charged for 15-20 minutes, as a lot of climb is involved in the next segment, and we wanted a good buffer. I always aim to have 20% charge at the next supercharger, especially during the summer in AZ, as if you have to stop in the heat, etc...

Went on to Kingman, and planned to charge for ~15 minutes, but I got a work call, and it ended up being more like 30 minutes, as I was stuck on the computer anyway and could not drive.

Stopped in Henderson to try out the new supercharger, and charged for 5 minutes, as we could only charge at 112V (yes, it had that much voltage drop 12 amp where we were staying, and figured having a slight boost to our charge when we arrived would be better. The new V3 supercharger on the strip had just opened, and we used it a few times while in Vegas for ~5 days, and then, we headed back out following a similar route, but more quick charges.

Charged in Kingman for ~20 minutes, Wickenburg for ~20, North Phoenix for ~20 minutes, and Casa Grande for ~20 minutes.

Dropped off the last of the people that traveled with me near the Tucson/Rita supercharger, and charged for ~10 minutes to give myself some breathing room.

I am sure I could have cut a fair amount of charging off with our Model 3 LR, but it would not have fit all of the people and luggage going to DefCon with me.

-Harry

We found the cadence of alternating longer stops and shorter stops works best, or rather worked best before COVID-19.

The longer stops worked for meal times and the shorter stops for between meals.

However, all of this is dependent on having Superchargers at convenient intervals, and sometimes you really have little choice where to stop, or how long to stop.

I know the Tesla itinerary display selects the fewer number of stops, but this is not always optimum.

It can depend also if you have passengers or not, and if you travel during the day or at night.

Your passengers might enjoy doing some touring and would enjoy discovering some nice place to eat,
otherwise driving with only needed short stops could be a better option for everyone.

My preference is driving all the night with fewer stops, so passengers would not weak up too often.
I try also to traverse large cities with congested freeways in middle of the night.

Also better avoiding choke points at some Superchargers during specific Holidays, like Memorial Day or Labor Days....
by studying your itinerary timing in advance using A Better Route Planner for example.

In some part of the country, there are still some gaps between Superchargers,
which can be challenging when loaded with passengers and cold or bad weather with heavy wind.

Last edited:
Think the key is to understand the charging curve.
Your car will charge the quickest between 5 and 50% so you should only be charging enough to get you to the next supercharger with 5% (or slightly higher if conservative).

A Better Route Planner generally plans on this basis - to minimise trip time.

As above having some longer stops for food, toilet breaks etc may suit some better

Reactions: outdoors
An other good video from Bjørn Nyland, Polestar 2, Model 3, I-Pace and e-Soul charging compared !!!

Basically, for optimum speed, never charge more than 70% when using a Supercharger on a long trip.

My rule of thumb is if the charge rate is < 50-60KW, it is time to move on.

Traveling with kids, we always end up spending more time with the kids at the stop vs needed for charging.

Adults only, yes, the charging can slow you down a bit, but you save far more time not going to gas stations during the rest of the year to make up for it.

I know 5 or 10% is an optimum state of charge to arrive at a super charger, but I tend to aim for 20% for safety, and in case I have to wait for a charger (for a long time Casa Grande had 2 or 3 out of 6 chargers down for example).

-Harry

My rule of thumb is if the charge rate is < 50-60KW, it is time to move on.

Traveling with kids, we always end up spending more time with the kids at the stop vs needed for charging.

Adults only, yes, the charging can slow you down a bit, but you save far more time not going to gas stations during the rest of the year to make up for it.

I know 5 or 10% is an optimum state of charge to arrive at a super charger, but I tend to aim for 20% for safety, and in case I have to wait for a charger (for a long time Casa Grande had 2 or 3 out of 6 chargers down for example).

-Harry

I think aiming for 20% arrival is too high. The reason is you can somewhat control your burn. If you drive 80mph and plan to arrive at 10%... say extra AC has that arrival dropping, slow down to 75 or 70. You will get a pretty decent range boost for arriving a few minutes later.

the more knobs you have to turn, the less conservative you need to be.

I think aiming for 20% arrival is too high. The reason is you can somewhat control your burn. If you drive 80mph and plan to arrive at 10%... say extra AC has that arrival dropping, slow down to 75 or 70. You will get a pretty decent range boost for arriving a few minutes later.

the more knobs you have to turn, the less conservative you need to be.

It probably is a bit too conservative, but having been stuck for hours due to an accident (such as a FedEX trailer catching fire on I-10 in California), I try and be a bit more careful. Most of the time traveling as a family, my wife, myself, and 4 kids.

The California incident (which was in our Prius years ago, before our Teslas), CHP had to deliver Gasoline to many people along I-10 when they ran out of gas due to air conditioning needs for 3+ hours in the 105+ heat.

Once we get back into long distance travel post Covid, I will probably look at 15% as a target.

-Harry

Unlike an ICE, in Tesla, you’ll have minimal loss if stuck at ‘idle’ at a freeway closure.

Agreed, even our Prius was far better, since it would run the ICE long enough to charge the battery, then run the AC from the battery for a while, and continue the cycle.

That being said, I still feel the extra 5 or 10% margin is useful for us. I have gone lower (actually down to about 3% when arriving at the supercharger) when towing, and keep careful track of it, but unless people are waiting for a stall, I would rather spend an extra 5-10 minutes, and have a bit less range anxiety. I will stop charging at lower thresholds if people are waiting for a stall, and a lot of times will add an additional supercharger stop if people are waiting.

-Harry

Reactions: GZDongles
Agree with above. There are a bunch of posts from folks with Model S/X that had car shut down when battery was less than 15 percent. Tesla has stated that is normal behavior due to calibration issues. Happened to me actually, and it’s a miserable experience

I have extensive recent experience, having driven a 5,000 mile not direct route from Florida to SoCal between Aug. 28 and Sep. 14.
5,009 Miles from Florida to SoCal via Lake Superior
Basically, for optimum speed, never charge more than 70% when using a Supercharger on a long trip.
That's a good rule, with the following evidence from two cross country drives this summer to back it up.
teslachargeratesoc20-jpg.590020

teslachargeratemiles20summer-jpg.590022

I observed that on an Interstate trip it's rarely necessary to charge past 225 rated miles. That's just over 70% on a Model 3LR but closer to 60% on a Raven Model S. With charge speed being good up to 225 rated miles, I may consider skipping a charger if I don't have to drive more than around 130 miles to the next one. Also, if you research chargers online before your trip, you may find that some are out of the way or have minimal facilities nearby, so you may want to arrange skipping those.

The most annoying out-of-the-way charger is St. George, UT, about a 15 minute detour from I-15. Worse, both southbound visits this year have been on weekends with 25 minute waits to get a stall. Northbound I'm staying overnight with friends in Las Vegas and so can leave with close to a full charge and drive direct to Beaver. But that consumes 299 rated miles while limiting TACC to 80mph (Utah's speed limit).

I agree with this too. I calculate in advance the expected consumption with a target of 10% but with a generally high speed assumption (80mph is typical, so conservative when in the real world you won't be at your TACC speed all the time) and also using known elevation changes. For the cross country drives I would arrive with about 18% SoC at the next charger on average. Yes sometimes conditions are adverse, so slowing down will keep you out of trouble.

The best way to avoid surprises is to have your energy screen up. On the right side of that screen you will see your expected range if you drive in the same manner as the past 30 miles. This can be compared to the remaining miles to your destination on the nav system. The difference between those numbers should remain stable. If it's narrowing other than temporarily for a hill climb you may need to slow down.

There are some fine points. I'm OK with arriving at a supercharger with 5-10% if I'm immediately plugging in. But if your nav target is a restaurant, sightseeing spot, etc. the target should be at least 20% even if the upcoming supercharger is not much farther. My car announces warnings when turned off below around 15% and also turns off cabin overheat protection. Spending a summer in Florida also taught me that the vampire sitting out in hot weather is not trivial. The car can easily lose 30 rated miles while parked in 8 hours of direct summer sun.

• Informative
Reactions: Koolio46