Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to manually close Falcon Wing doors (stuck in Garage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model X falcon door issue in my garage. For some odd reason this morning, when I got into my Model X inside my garage, the screen under the Door settings showed that it needed calibration. Unfortunately, my driver side Falcon door was already partially opened when this message popped up.

Pressing any buttons (even pressing down on the B piller button) causes the falcon wing doors to extend up. So, what happened is that the door extended upwards and got stuck into the side of my garage (I have handing cabinets in the garage, and the door basically jammed itself into the cabinets).

Is there anyway to manually push these doors back down? There seems to be a lot of force from the motors from me to move the doors away from the cabinet. None of the buttons will cause the door to move at this point (key FOB, screen, B-piller switch).

This is a picture. Basically, in the calibration mode, the falcon door swings out. I need the 2nd hinge (the hinge not connected to the car) to be able to bend to get the door unstuck.

IMG_2876.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a picture. Basically, in the calibration mode, the falcon door swings out. I need the 2nd hinge (the hinge not connected to the car) to be able to bend to get the door unstuck.
Something like this GoJak Model 4500 Super Slick Dolly 4520
May let you move the X away from the cabinets enough to close the door.

I'm guessing they won't go up again enough to do the half fold.

• Informative
Reactions: pentech
Is there anyway to manually push these doors back down?
I have not been in your particular situation so I can’t be sure, but I do know that if my FW doors do not open fully upwards because of an overhead obstacle, but I want to open them farther because I can see it will be safe to do so, I can push up on the doors and raise them up. Yes there is resistance, but as I understand it that is okay to do.

So I would think it could be possible to push the doors down. CALL TESLA AND ASK IF THAT CAN BE DONE SAFELY. Your post does not say whether you have called Tesla or not. In my opinion that should be the first step you take in trying to solve your problem.

Manual release is for the door LATCH, not the movement.
I was wondering if that was the case. Thanks.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
I know this may be a lot of work. Can you drop the bottom shelf out of the cabinet, unscrew the handles and/or door hinges? That should give you sufficient clearance. Looks like they contracted a bit when hitting the handles and then sprung out after causing them to lock in place. Longshot but worth a thought.

Should have added, after pulling the cable pull the door down. It's not easy but it will move. Just like in the video it take's lots of muscle. There is another video when opening from inside to set in the seat and push with the feet and legs.

I added the tie wraps to my cable for easy release. After shooting the photo I tried closing the door with out pulling the cable. It takes lots of effort. You can pull the door down

IMG_2867.jpg

So, for the resolution of this issue, I called the Service Center in Sunnyvale, and they confirmed that the 2nd hinge cannot be manually forced open/closed. They described it as a jackscrew type design that requires electric power to move. On the other hand, the hinge connected to the car is on a spring system so you can manually push that down and up. (ie. you can manually open/close the door, but you cannot manually fold the doors in/out. It will swing open in a wide arc.)

So, their solution was what Mongo proposed above(Thanks Mongo!). They came by with 4 GoJacks, and then moved the car to the middle of the garage where there was enough clearance for them to close the door. It was a quick 10 minute operation and the Service guys were awesome!

Last edited:
So how many guys does it take to close a Falcon Wing Door?.....:p

Thanks for coming back with the resolution to your situation pentech. Showed the thread to hubby last night and we were both wondering and also how long it would take to get the car out. Guess there's a great lesson to be found in Model X & garages. Before this I just thought it was watching out for any doors/liftgates hitting the garage door over head. Guess it's a good thing you had a double garage?

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca
So, for the resolution of this issue, I called the Service Center in Sunnyvale, and they confirmed that the 2nd hinge cannot be manually forced open/closed. They described it as a jackscrew type design that requires electric power to move. On the other hand, the hinge connected to the car is on a spring system so you can manually push that down and up. (ie. you can manually open/close the door, but you cannot manually fold the doors in/out. It will swing open in a wide arc.)

So, their solution was what Mongo proposed above(Thanks Mongo!). They came by with 4 GoJacks, and then moved the car to the middle of the garage where there was enough clearance for them to close the door. It was a quick 10 minute operation and the Service guys were awesome!

Awesome! Glad it all worked out. Especially appreciate the info on the difference between the two hinges. Couldn't see how the actuator section could move manually. Was thinking they might have engineer/ service mode to control them directly though.