Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How To Manually Open Tesla Model X Falcon Wing Doors Without Power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just thinking about this yesterday while reading reports of some drunk driving incidents on the So Cal freeways this weekend. Tesla has made it somewhat complicated, instead of a wire, they should have a ring at the end of the wire or some kind of handle that can unlock the door faster as well as a handle type inlet that allows you to have a better grip to open the speaker grill and release the doors. When the car is on fire, every second counts. I am friends with a lot of firefighters and that's what they said. I wonder what triggered that car fire.

Thanks Socal Tsla for this post.

Thank you for sharing this! Something you don't think of until you need it. I will test it out and let my passengers know as well.
Yeah definitely, I'll let my wife try it too to make sure she has the strength to do so. Something I'm worried about is that most of the time my wife and me sit in front and my two daughters (2 and 5 yrs old) sit in the carseat in middle seat. In case of emergency we will need to go to the middle seat first, rip off the cover, then push the door up. It will take me at least 90s to finish everything for the door and another 30s to get the two kids out. That will be a lot of work, not to mention unbuckling the carseats... I'm thinking about try it a few times just in case, not sure what you guys think.

I was just thinking about this yesterday while reading reports of some drunk driving incidents on the So Cal freeways this weekend. Tesla has made it somewhat complicated, instead of a wire, they should have a ring at the end of the wire or some kind of handle that can unlock the door faster as well as a handle type inlet that allows you to have a better grip to open the speaker grill and release the doors. When the car is on fire, every second counts. I am friends with a lot of firefighters and that's what they said. I wonder what triggered that car fire.

Thanks Socal Tsla for this post.
If I'm going to make any suggestion, I'll suggest Tesla to make it easier to open the falcon wing doors. In case of emergency I'll be able to open the door faster than I did in the video because I was using only one hand with no epinephrine, but my wife won't be that strong if I'm not in the car...

How rare is it for the electrical system to fail so neither FWD can be be opened?
If it's just the electrical system fail, it's ok for people to exit from front door and that's no problem. The real risk is in an accident, say if the front door is damaged and can't open, you will have to exit thru the falcon wing doors, but with that kind of accident it's highly likely that the power of the car is down, and you will have to manually open the falcon wing doors to save everyone.

Anyway, it's not a very likely situation for anyone, but it's some information I think all Model X owners should know and get prepared for...

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
This is a link to how you use zip ties to the emergency release cables behind the speaker covers for an emergency release. (Some pictures were posted on how I did it by yours truly). Passengers don't have to pry the covers off, just pull the zip ties.