Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to match Tesla charging usage with light bill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the Tesla app shows a "Rolling" 31 day kwh usage but my light bill has set dates. I want to be able to see exactly how much the Tesla used in the same time frame as the light bill. This is to keep me and my wife from killing each other. She likes to keep the temperature in our little house at 65F and the last two months have been crazy hot.

We really need a smart thermostat but that's another story. She said the Tesla is really driving the bill up!!
2022-08-10 13_08_47-506d943c-a700-4551-8b26-c33874af4070.png

I always break out the Tesla portion of the bill by checking the Tesla app, but its not accurate for the time frame of the bill. Is there a way I can see in the Tesla app or something else using a date range to see my total usage?

So the Tesla app shows a "Rolling" 31 day kwh usage but my light bill has set dates. I want to be able to see exactly how much the Tesla used in the same time frame as the light bill. This is to keep me and my wife from killing each other. She likes to keep the temperature in our little house at 65F and the last two months have been crazy hot.

We really need a smart thermostat but that's another story. She said the Tesla is really driving the bill up!!View attachment 839189

I always break out the Tesla portion of the bill by checking the Tesla app, but its not accurate for the time frame of the bill. Is there a way I can see in the Tesla app or something else using a date range to see my total usage?
Charging stats in the Tesla app is for last 31 days. It's a PITA but if you know your electric billing cycle take a screen capture of Tesla app charge stats for the same exact date range as the electric billing cycle. You'll probably take the screen capture before your bill comes. Of course the electric bill goes up, but the gas pump bill goes to zero. There should be a savings. In SoCal my Tesla cost half as much in electricity as our other car costs in gas.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLOONEY003@GMA
Buy a Sense (home monitor). You can add a dedicated sensor for the charging circuit for the best accuracy.

Sense is well worth the money and you’ll find waste with it. I cut my bill in half using it. Which pointed to many changes I made.

Oh and buy a smart thermostat while you are at it.

We keep ours at 78F in the summer and it’s perfectly comfortable. A big part of comfort is humidity level. 65F is a frigin ice box.

Yeah, that's crazy.

That is also crazy.
If it’s 78F outdoors and low humidity every one thinks it’s a gorgeous comfortable day.

People get used to what they set it too. If I was doing heavy work 78 is to high. But if I’m working at the computer or sleeping it’s fine. We both find 74 or lower freezing in the summer.

We keep it on 70F 24/7 in winter.

One thing to be aware of is that the app only shows the energy that makes it into the battery. It doesn't show energy used for heating the battery, or loses in efficiency.

I don't know what those things add up to, but I'd say if you're hinging your marriage on it, you should get a monitoring device on the circuit like @mswlogo says. Or if you're the dishonest type, just keep using the app numbers.

Reactions: mswlogo
So if you take your total bill 454.69 / 2997kWh then you can say you roughly pay about 0.1517 cents per kWh. I know this isn't the exact rate you pay but this averages any tiers and or fees and provides a good average of what you pay for calculation purposes.

Use your Tesla app, or Optiwatt out something like that to multiply your kWh usage for the month by 0.1517 cents. That's what you're using.

So if you take your total bill 454.69 / 2997kWh then you can say you roughly pay about 0.1517 cents per kWh. I know this isn't the exact rate you pay but this averages any tiers and or fees and provides a good average of what you pay for calculation purposes.

Use your Tesla app, or Optiwatt out something like that to multiply your kWh usage for the month by 0.1517 cents. That's what you're using.
My wife obviously struggles with math. 🤣🤣

2022-08-11 07_07_31-Messages for web.png

My wife obviously struggles with math. 🤣🤣

View attachment 839539
Your wife is right. It’s more.

App does not reflect what your house meter says it sent to your car.

It does not include charging losses. ~10%. Not all the juice it sent to the car makes it to the battery. Also any battery warming or “shore power” used (e.g. preconditioning) while it’s plugged in is not accounted for.

Unless you measure exactly. It’s approximately 20% more than the app says.

Here is a really cheap monitor.

You can wrap this around one leg any where on the circuit. At the fuse box is probably easiest. This is made for single phase. Just double the kWh it reads out.

It has no dates like a real house monitor. You just have to manually read it month to month.

You can also compare it to the app to see what your average overhead is.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLOONEY003@GMA
Your wife is right. It’s more.

App does not reflect what your house meter says it sent to your car.

It does not include charging losses. ~10%. Not all the juice it sent to the car makes it to the battery. Also any battery warming or “shore power” used (e.g. preconditioning) while it’s plugged in is not accounted for.

Unless you measure exactly. It’s approximately 20% more than the app says.

Here is a really cheap monitor.

You can wrap this around one leg any where on the circuit. At the fuse box is probably easiest. This is made for single phase. Just double the kWh it reads out.

It has no dates like a real house monitor. You just have to manually read it month to month.

You can also compare it to the app to see what your average overhead is.

I noticed somewhere in the app that it says only 93% of the energy made it to the car. So 753/0.93 = 809.677kwh*$0.15 = I owe $121.45!

I came here to also mention TeslaFi.
You can download the CSV file and keep that as a record and use dates that match up to your bill. Sure you are relying on the API of the car but I feel it's fairly accurate. TeslaFi breaks down kW used and kW going into the battery.

I know this isn't the place for relationship advice nor did you ask for any, but I strongly recommend that you and your wife drop this and start working together.

Keeping separate finances, splitting bills, arguing about amounts... these things are bad for the bond of marriage. Love one another. Combine your resources. Make the bills your common enemy. Plan together what you will do with the surplus. Let your wife share the M3, then it'll be her electricity too. I'm rooting for the both of you.

I know this isn't the place for relationship advice nor did you ask for any, but I strongly recommend that you and your wife drop this and start working together.

Keeping separate finances, splitting bills, arguing about amounts... these things are bad for the bond of marriage. Love one another. Combine your resources. Make the bills your common enemy. Plan together what you will do with the surplus. Let your wife share the M3, then it'll be her electricity too. I'm rooting for the both of you.
Im not going to disagree with you but my wife is really stubborn. She will not even allow me to connect my account with hers so I can instantly send her money when she needs it. My bank writes her a check every 2 weeks and she has to wait 7 days. I told her to let me link my account with hers but she flat out refuses. So we basically live like roommates!