Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to match Tesla charging usage with light bill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im not going to disagree with you but my wife is really stubborn. She will not even allow me to connect my account with hers so I can instantly send her money when she needs it. My bank writes her a check every 2 weeks and she has to wait 7 days. I told her to let me link my account with hers but she flat out refuses. So we basically live like roommates!
Sounds like your marriage is a business contract vs relationship.

Been married over 40 years and we have pooled our accounts/money since day one. We are a team. What’s hers is mine and what’s mine is hers.

Who gives a *sugar* who used more electricity. Don’t you drive to work to earn money for the home? Don’t you live in the same home running AC?

Forget the stupid electric bill, Pool your resources and get Solar.

Im not going to disagree with you but my wife is really stubborn. She will not even allow me to connect my account with hers so I can instantly send her money when she needs it. My bank writes her a check every 2 weeks and she has to wait 7 days. I told her to let me link my account with hers but she flat out refuses. So we basically live like roommates!
Try zellepay. Let's you send money and still keep accounts separate.

My spouse and I are not married and my spouse has always valued her financial privacy. We bought a condo together and have lived together now for nearly 20 years. The technique we use is to have a household checking/savings account which is used for all our shared expenses -- mortgage payments (until it was paid off), real estate taxes, utility bills, TV cable bill, etc. And we also use it for vacation expenses and condo improvements (new appliances, etc.) We each contribute a fixed amount to the joint account each month. Otherwise we keep our respective personal expenses separate, which has worked well. The advantage we have that the OP does not is that we keep our car expenses separate, including my charging cost. The way I am able to do that is that we have a separate electric meter for charging my Tesla. That was actually a necessity because of the physical location of my parking spot, away from our building (long story told elsewhere).
As my spouse and I have aged, and now that both of us have retired, she has become more flexible about sharing her financial data, so I hope the OP and his wife will also become more comfortable about these things as time passes.
In the meantime, I support the idea of obtaining and using some device to measure the electric power going to the tesla charging. Maybe the utility can install a separate meter....

Reactions: CLOONEY003@GMA
Me Too was of course about sexual harassment and joking about it probably isn't wise....

Get a smart stat. You will save enough (most likely) to pay for itself and it gives you really good numbers. Ecobee is great.

Also from the sleep foundation:

"The best bedroom temperature for sleep is approximately 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18.3 degrees Celsius). This may vary by a few degrees from person to person, but most doctors recommend keeping the thermostat set between 60 to 67 degrees Fahrenheit (15.6 to 19.4 degrees Celsius) for the most comfortable sleep"

I am very frugal when it comes to energy use. Our house has a negative HERS score with solar. This year my total bill (no NG usage - ie electric heat and hot water) will probably be $300 in usage and $180 in mandatory monthly charges. 3800 sqft, 2 Teslas. We sleep at 65 degrees.

I can do the math on the 65 degrees. We kept the house at 74 or so for the cats for a 10 day vacation in July. It was mid 90s everyday we were gone. It is about 10 extra kwh per day to get the primary bedroom to 65 for night (and keep it there of course). So for the OP, that is $1.50 a day. You figure out what happiness costs.

What does sentry mode cost? About half that I suspect. Not saying OP has sentry mode on but how many people do....

Buy a Sense (home monitor). You can add a dedicated sensor for the charging circuit for the best accuracy.

Sense is well worth the money and you’ll find waste with it. I cut my bill in half using it. Which pointed to many changes I made.

Oh and buy a smart thermostat while you are at it.

We keep ours at 78F in the summer and it’s perfectly comfortable. A big part of comfort is humidity level. 65F is a frigin ice box.
I'll take the opposite stance - Sense is overpriced crap. Their highly touted "machine learning" doesn't work worth a damn. It took weeks to learn my Tesla, and completely forgot it when I changed charge current. I moved my solar CT's to the charging circuit to get decent accuracy.

Better options are an IotaWatt if you want multiple circuits, or a refurbished utility meter from Hialeah Meter.