Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to maximize delivery hold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mulkogi

#teamblue
May 11, 2021
WA
Hi i just joined the group and ordered a blue Y yesterday. Im in no hurry for the car so I’m just going to try to hold the delivery as long as possible so that i can use the new federal tax credit if it ever passes. If it’s not happening I’m still getting the car but no rush. If anyone has tips on how to hold for longer if needed please tell me.
Config ordered: LR/Blue/gemini/no hitch/ no fsd/5 seats

Extremely easy to do; I'm in a similar situation. Text your SA, tell them exactly that. They will gladly change your reservation to "delivery on hold".

Iirc, they will hold delivery for up to 12 months, before they will contact you asking you to cancel or take delivery.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 631
Extremely easy to do; I'm in a similar situation. Text your SA, tell them exactly that. They will gladly change your reservation to "delivery on hold".

Iirc, they will hold delivery for up to 12 months, before they will contact you asking you to cancel or take delivery.
I see. Did you wait until they contacted you? I see currently delivery estimated date shows as june 15-25

Not sure what happens after I click "I'm Ready", but I would assume I'll be near the back of the queue.

I texted my SA, the same person that helped me set up my test drive. As long as your phone/email/name did not change between the test drive and the order, your SA should be able to find your order pretty easily.

On topic. Same question, also not in a rush to get the car primarily because waiting on some decision on the tax rebate.
move read about delaying and how to delay delivery. My Question is: I just placed an order yesterday, Tesla keeps reaching out to me, including a call from a most local to me Tesla store SA, asking to complete the address/etc for delivery — should I do that or leave it blank?
PS. I did explain to the SA that I was in no hurry and waiting to see how the tax rebate pans out.

I assume so as you put it on hold, and go off hold, you're at the back of the queue again?
I’m pretty sure you go to the back of the queue. I took my 3/22 order off hold on 5/20 and I’m not getting any estimated dates or indications of a VIN, so it seems that I’m in queue as everyone else who ordered on 5/20. My SA previously advised that I’d get a better spot in queue but that’s not its playing out so far.

I’m pretty sure you go to the back of the queue. I took my 3/22 order off hold on 5/20 and I’m not getting any estimated dates or indications of a VIN, so it seems that I’m in queue as everyone else who ordered on 5/20. My SA previously advised that I’d get a better spot in queue but that’s not its playing out so far.
Ya neva’ know. I just released my mt Kisco MYLR 5 blue/black. call them if you want to grab. I put my order back on hold for next Q’s batch.

Reactions: suprax
In Aug 2020, I too wasn't in a hurry but the in person salesmen kept insisting to put a deposit to lock in the price. I told him I would if he could put a hold until Aug 2021. He said of course so I put down a deposit.

My SA and the manager both told me I would have a shorter queue if I wait until after I have a VIN to put my order on hold. Can anyone else confirm this?
I’m pretty sure you go to the back of the queue. I took my 3/22 order off hold on 5/20 and I’m not getting any estimated dates or indications of a VIN, so it seems that I’m in queue as everyone else who ordered on 5/20. My SA previously advised that I’d get a better spot in queue but that’s not playing out so far.

My SA and the manager both told me I would have a shorter queue if I wait until after I have a VIN to put my order on hold. Can anyone else confirm this?
I think it’s a toss up. I ordered April 7th. And just released my hold on June 1st. On June 2nd I have an estimated delivery of June 16 - 27.

So I clearly did not get put back to the end of the line for the current 9-13 weeks.

How do you “release your hold” exactly?
New to this, just ordered. Thanks.
Have you even put your order on hold yet?

When your order is on hold and you log into your Tesla account, it will show when your hold is until. And there will be a big button that you can click that says “I’m Ready”. There is no second click, once you click it removes the hold.

On topic. Same question, also not in a rush to get the car primarily because waiting on some decision on the tax rebate.
move read about delaying and how to delay delivery. My Question is: I just placed an order yesterday, Tesla keeps reaching out to me, including a call from a most local to me Tesla store SA, asking to complete the address/etc for delivery — should I do that or leave it blank?
PS. I did explain to the SA that I was in no hurry and waiting to see how the tax rebate pans out.
I ordered over a month ago and never finished any of the pre-registration tasks. Every few weeks I get an automated Tesla email that reminds me to finish them that I promptly ignore. So far, it has worked well as an auto-hold. My plan is to see how long I can get away with not doing anything further. If and when someone says anything, I'll probably ask to be put on hold, but so far I haven't seen any indication that that's going to happen.

Reactions: k.alexander
Have you even put your order on hold yet?

When your order is on hold and you log into your Tesla account, it will show when your hold is until. And there will be a big button that you can click that says “I’m Ready”. There is no second click, once you click it removes the hold.
No, have not done a hold yet; just ordered two days ago...but want to continue pushing delivery off until the tax rebate is decided one way or another.
So with that said, how do you put the car "on hold" the first time? And am I correct that I probably don't need to do that until they at least try to set up/schedule delivery to me the first time?

I ordered over a month ago and never finished any of the pre-registration tasks. Every few weeks I get an automated Tesla email that reminds me to finish them that I promptly ignore. So far, it has worked well as an auto-hold. My plan is to see how long I can get away with not doing anything further. If and when someone says anything, I'll probably ask to be put on hold, but so far I haven't seen any indication that that's going to happen.
Got ya. I guess I'll try the same approach.
As I said, I ordered on 6/1 and on 6/2 got a call from a local tesla store SA asking me to complete the info, I said I was in no rush and was waiting for the tax rebate to work itself out, to which she responded "ok, I'll note that you're not looking for delivery this quarter" and that was about it.

No, have not done a hold yet; just ordered two days ago...but want to continue pushing delivery off until the tax rebate is decided one way or another.
So with that said, how do you put the car "on hold" the first time? And am I correct that I probably don't need to do that until they at least try to set up/schedule delivery to me the first time?

Got ya. I guess I'll try the same approach.
As I said, I ordered on 6/1 and on 6/2 got a call from a local tesla store SA asking me to complete the info, I said I was in no rush and was waiting for the tax rebate to work itself out, to which she responded "ok, I'll note that you're not looking for delivery this quarter" and that was about it.
As long as you communicated to your SA your rough timeline, you’ll be fine. She’ll put your delivery on hold whenever she gets a chance. But yes, until it’s officially put on hold you have an active order, so you’ll get near daily system generated emails or texts about incomplete tasks. The day they stop, that’s when you know it’s finally been put on hold haha