Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to maximize delivery hold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as you communicated to your SA your rough timeline, you’ll be fine. She’ll put your delivery on hold whenever she gets a chance. But yes, until it’s officially put on hold you have an active order, so you’ll get near daily system generated emails or texts about incomplete tasks. The day they stop, that’s when you know it’s finally been put on hold haha
Got it. So last question: is it better to get the daily emails or be put on hold -- or does it not really matter?

"better" in terms of, more likely or less problematic to keep delaying delivery until I am actually ready to take delivery. I'll jump through whatever hoops I need to, as long as I accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish, i.e. delay delivery until the tax credit bill either gets passed or abandoned.
Ah, I see. I would say (as a non-employee) that it’s better to be put on hold. Probably fewer flags on your order that way. But honestly, it probably doesn’t make a difference. Tesla has such a huge backlog on Model Y orders, demand is sky high despite repeated price increases…it’s really in their best interest to delay existing orders as much as possible, since the excess waiting has already degraded the delivery experience due to supply constraints.

Tell them you are targeting Q4 delivery. That’s what I told my SA and he did it on one of my orders and set on hold until 15 Nov 2021. Weirdly he seemed to have forgotten to do so on my second order, which is why I get bot-generated messages regarding order #2.

Either way, don’t worry. If and when Tesla finally catches up on outstanding Model Y orders (maybe CY 22…maybe) and gets antsy about your order, the SA will be in contact with you and discuss options. They won’t cancel your order without notification or some small level of negotiation.

Reactions: k.alexander
By the way, last time I spoke to an SA about the longest they can keep an order “alive” lol was one year. Some people say it’s shorter, but that’s what I was told. Seems like there’s some play to these dates - so be nice and forthright with your SA and they should take care of you.

As long as you communicated to your SA your rough timeline, you’ll be fine. She’ll put your delivery on hold whenever she gets a chance. But yes, until it’s officially put on hold you have an active order, so you’ll get near daily system generated emails or texts about incomplete tasks. The day they stop, that’s when you know it’s finally been put on hold haha
Just keep in mind the terms and agreements say you can only keep an order open for up to 90 days. Whereas if you get an official hold you’ll be set no problem. Email either your SA or [email protected] and they can easily put a specific date hold for you. I recommend this if you plan for more than 90 days.

They are getting more strict with policy but just delaying VIN assignments does risk them saying you’ve delayed 3 times and either accept or forfeit the $100.

Just keep in mind the terms and agreements say you can only keep an order open for up to 90 days. Whereas if you get an official hold you’ll be set no problem. Email either your SA or [email protected] and they can easily put a specific date hold for you. I recommend this if you plan for more than 90 days.

They are getting more strict with policy but just delaying VIN assignments does risk them saying you’ve delayed 3 times and either accept or forfeit the $100.
Some conflict info then. So are you saying, I should complete my Delivery Location info in my Tesla Account, see screenshot.
Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 12.13.24 PM.jpg

And then, email my SA and ask her specifically "to put a hold" on my account?
And then my account will show a HOLD? Because right now it's saying "Prepare for Delivery".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 12.11.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 12.11.11 PM.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 67
Some conflict info then. So are you saying, I should complete my Delivery Location info in my Tesla Account, see screenshot.
View attachment 669099

And then, email my SA and ask her specifically "to put a hold" on my account?
And then my account will show a HOLD? Because right now it's saying "Prepare for Delivery".
That is what I did. I filled out everything. I left it as paying cash and my SA said at a later time closer to delivery I can change over to financing and add a trade-in. I had it all completed except insurance and my SA put a hold on my order.

That is what I did. I filled out everything. I left it as paying cash and my SA said at a later time closer to delivery I can change over to financing and add a trade-in. I had it all completed except insurance and my SA put a hold on my order.
Got it. And you're in Philly like me, so I assume you're dealing with the Devon PA location.

Everyone else agree to go this route? Fill everything in, and then request the SA put a hold on the account?

Got it. And you're in Philly like me, so I assume you're dealing with the Devon PA location.

Everyone else agree to go this route? Fill everything in, and then request the SA put a hold on the account?
I did the test drive in KOP since my wife and I wanted to go to the mall that day. So I was assigned an SA from Devon. I live closer to Cherry Hill but the SA said I can do either based on preference.

I did the test drive in KOP since my wife and I wanted to go to the mall that day. So I was assigned an SA from Devon. I live closer to Cherry Hill but the SA said I can do either based on preference.
Got it. Is the SA from Cherry Hill or Devon? We did a test drive at KOP last fall and just did one at Cherry Hill this weekend (actually took the car home over like 36hrs), the guy who was helping us at Cherry Hill was absolutely awesome!

Got it. Is the SA from Cherry Hill or Devon? We did a test drive at KOP last fall and just did one at Cherry Hill this weekend (actually took the car home over like 36hrs), the guy who was helping us at Cherry Hill was absolutely awesome!
My SA is Devon/KOP. He also drove a MYP to my house in the city to do a garage fit. He’s been really nice to work with too.

Good to know. Yeah I realized that I'm going to have to set a limit on how much the MY rear hatch opens bc opening all the way causes it to hit the roll up garage door under the ceiling.
I tested that feature and it works good. Need to set it about an inch lower than you want it at because the hatch overshoots an inch and hits the door then goes to set position. Just something to know about.

Also the latching mechanism is on the hatch vs the body of the car. A little annoying because you can hit your head on it. My Outlander has the latch in the body and it’s easier to duck in and out of.

Question for the people that placed their MY on hold. Did you have to click "i'm ready" button prior to the date stated on the delivery hold statement?

I'm currently on hold (requested after receiving my vin last week) . Now my reservation says

"Your delivery is on hold until October 31, 2021."

Do I have to accept and click I'm Ready button before/on that date? If I don't will anything happen? I'd like to take delivery 2nd or 3rd quarter of next year.

TIA.

Question for the people that placed their MY on hold. Did you have to click "i'm ready" button prior to the date stated on the delivery hold statement?

I'm currently on hold (requested after receiving my vin last week) . Now my reservation says

"Your delivery is on hold until October 31, 2021."

Do I have to accept and click I'm Ready button before/on that date? If I don't will anything happen? I'd like to take delivery 2nd or 3rd quarter of next year.

TIA.
If you want to continue your hold you should probably contact your SA to extend. On Nov. 1st your hold will be lifted and the VIN matching process will begin.

I did click the I’m ready button early but this is what my SA told me. Said I didn’t need to do anything and my profile would begin matching a VIN after that date.

Reactions: pgcoco and Jdmoto
I ordered over a month ago and never finished any of the pre-registration tasks. Every few weeks I get an automated Tesla email that reminds me to finish them that I promptly ignore. So far, it has worked well as an auto-hold. My plan is to see how long I can get away with not doing anything further. If and when someone says anything, I'll probably ask to be put on hold, but so far I haven't seen any indication that that's going to happen.
Is this (ignoring the reminder messages for pre-delivery tasks) still working for you, or did they warn you at some point that your order would be cancelled? Curious how long I can do the same.

Is this (ignoring the reminder messages for pre-delivery tasks) still working for you, or did they warn you at some point that your order would be cancelled? Curious how long I can do the same.
I just kept ignoring the email reminders. The frequency dropped after a while. I did get a call from my SA at the start of last quarter because she was wondering what was up with my order and to try and get me to go ahead with it. I made up a BS excuse about waiting for my lease to run out and she was fine with it though she did mention that she couldn't guarantee that my order would stay open. She did say that I would be notified prior to anyone trying to cancel my order though I don't know how much to trust that. All that being said, it worked out great for me from April-22 all the way through now. I actually just completed my profile and got in line for a VIN because the recent price hike made me nervous that my $6K cheaper locked-in price might make my order ripe for cancellation on Tesla's part. I was mainly holding out for news on the EV tax credits. If they happen, I should be fine anyways as my EDD is well into 2022.

At the very least, I think you can use this approach to at least eke out several months prior to anyone noticing and then trying to get in touch with you.